Re: WUHU action/script file question

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
      What exactly are you trying to do? Just have an email sent to you at midnight with the current conditions?

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wb5omr" wrote:

      > Can anyone tell me how to generate an action at or near midnight to execute a script file in WUHU.
      >
      > Here is what I am currently doing:
      >
      > I execute a script file to capture memory variables (extreme daily temp, wind chill, highs, lows and rainfall, wind gust,etc for that day) but I am using the weather update action in WUHU, so I write this data on every update and then use sendmail to delivery the data as an email message at or @ 11:59 PM. The problem is that this is very write intensive, so if I could, within WUHU, generate an interupt (or action) just before midnight, I can greatly reduce the CPU/program overhead and save my usb stick some wear and tear.
      >
      > Maybe there is a better way to scrounge this data, but I am not aware of it.
      >
      > I am new to the Yahoo group so if someone has already been here and done this, I would appreciate the help.
      >
      > Bob

    • Robert Leinweber
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
        Here is the deal. Using internal memory variables and action/batch files,
        I have successfully sent myself an email every night for the last two months
        with an attachment that contains the following information (example):

        Time Hack: Wed Jan 02 23:54:23 2013

        Daily extremes low outdoor temperature= 38.9
        Daily extremes low outdoor temperature time 10:34:22 PM

        Daily extremes high outdoor temperature= 44.2
        Daily extremes high outdoor temperature time 12:14:57 AM

        Daily extreme low outdoor Wind Chill= 34.0
        Daily extreme low outdoor Wind Chill time 03:27:57 AM

        Max Wind Gust= 25.9 MPH
        Daily Max Win Direction was from the N at 01:26:57

        Daily extreme Rain Fall= 0.00 Inches at 23:54:22
        Hourly Rain Fall= 0.00 inch(s)

        Daily RainFall= 0.00
        24 hr outdoor rain fall = 0.00 inch(s)

        Total Rain Fall = 13.97 inches since 08-10-2012

        (End of file)

        The method that I use to obtain this data is to write the necessary memory
        variables each time that there is an update and that means writing all that
        data over and over and then using the Windows scheduler to execute a
        sendmail batch file and attach this data to the email just before midnight
        each day. The daily extremes start over at midnight for the next day and
        "adjust" all day till midnight. Basically what I am doing is a very sloppy
        way to do business...I thought maybe a time mask or batch file, perhaps
        there is a time interrupt scheme or some other ingenious method within WUHU
        would allow me to only write the memory variables one time very near
        midnight and allow me to capture all of the "extremes" of the day.

        I guess I just like to have a bunch of "useless data", but I find this data
        interesting.

        73,
        Bob

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
          There is a way to process a script using something called time limiters. It is too early in the morning for to recall the details on the syntax so have a look at the online manual. If you have any questions let us know. I believe that is all that you would need with your existing setup.

          I would create a separate action file that is used with the time limiter since you are probably doing more than just processing a single template at the desired time.

          The only caveat with time limiters is that they work best with station types that are sure to receive a complete update each minute.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Leinweber" wrote:

          > Here is the deal. Using internal memory variables and action/batch files,
          > I have successfully sent myself an email every night for the last two months
          > with an attachment that contains the following information (example):
          >

          > Time Hack: Wed Jan 02 23:54:23 2013
          >
          > Daily extremes low outdoor temperature= 38.9
          > Daily extremes low outdoor temperature time 10:34:22 PM
          >
          > Daily extremes high outdoor temperature= 44.2
          > Daily extremes high outdoor temperature time 12:14:57 AM
          >
          > Daily extreme low outdoor Wind Chill= 34.0
          > Daily extreme low outdoor Wind Chill time 03:27:57 AM
          >
          > Max Wind Gust= 25.9 MPH
          > Daily Max Win Direction was from the N at 01:26:57
          >
          > Daily extreme Rain Fall= 0.00 Inches at 23:54:22
          > Hourly Rain Fall= 0.00 inch(s)
          >
          > Daily RainFall= 0.00
          > 24 hr outdoor rain fall = 0.00 inch(s)
          >
          > Total Rain Fall = 13.97 inches since 08-10-2012
          >
          > (End of file)
          >

          > The method that I use to obtain this data is to write the necessary memory
          > variables each time that there is an update and that means writing all that
          > data over and over and then using the Windows scheduler to execute a
          > sendmail batch file and attach this data to the email just before midnight
          > each day. The daily extremes start over at midnight for the next day and
          > "adjust" all day till midnight. Basically what I am doing is a very sloppy
          > way to do business...I thought maybe a time mask or batch file, perhaps
          > there is a time interrupt scheme or some other ingenious method within WUHU
          > would allow me to only write the memory variables one time very near
          > midnight and allow me to capture all of the "extremes" of the day.
          >
          > I guess I just like to have a bunch of "useless data", but I find this data
          > interesting.
          >
          > 73,
          > Bob

        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
            Something like:

            time(00:00,23:59,@1 ):sendmail.exe "-f someone@... -u Yup it
            worked -m body of email"

            More details here:
            http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/the-wuhu-software-manual/exporting-data-out-of-wuhu/performing-multiple-actions-in-wuhu-using-a-action-file/using-action-limiters-in-action-files/

            You can get sendmail.exe from:
            http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/the-wuhu-software-manual/wuhu-download-page/

            On 1/3/2013 9:47 AM, wb5omr wrote:
            > Can anyone tell me how to generate an action at or near midnight to execute a script file in WUHU.
            >
            > Here is what I am currently doing:
            >
            > I execute a script file to capture memory variables (extreme daily temp, wind chill, highs, lows and rainfall, wind gust,etc for that day) but I am using the weather update action in WUHU, so I write this data on every update and then use sendmail to delivery the data as an email message at or @ 11:59 PM. The problem is that this is very write intensive, so if I could, within WUHU, generate an interupt (or action) just before midnight, I can greatly reduce the CPU/program overhead and save my usb stick some wear and tear.
            >
            > Maybe there is a better way to scrounge this data, but I am not aware of it.
            >
            > I am new to the Yahoo group so if someone has already been here and done this, I would appreciate the help.
            >
            > Bob

            > WUHU Download page:

          • Robert Leinweber
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
              John:

              Thanks! I think this is what I am looking for...now I just need to try it
              out! I may move the email out of the windows scheduler, but this solution
              will probably solve my problem.
              Maybe something like: time(23:53,23:59,@1 ):daily_extreme_to_file.bat
              should reduce my write on update down to a few minutes instead of the 24/7
              that I am currently doing.

              I will let you know how it works after the implementation and testing.

              Bob

              >> Can anyone tell me how to generate an action at or near midnight to
              >> execute a script file in WUHU.
              >>
              >> Here is what I am currently doing:
              >>
              >> I execute a script file to capture memory variables (extreme daily temp,
              >> wind chill, highs, lows and rainfall, wind gust,etc for that day) but I
              >> am using the weather update action in WUHU, so I write this data on every
              >> update and then use sendmail to delivery the data as an email message at
              >> or @ 11:59 PM. The problem is that this is very write intensive, so if I
              >> could, within WUHU, generate an interupt (or action) just before
              >> midnight, I can greatly reduce the CPU/program overhead and save my usb
              >> stick some wear and tear.
              >>
              >> Maybe there is a better way to scrounge this data, but I am not aware of
              >> it.
              >>
              >> I am new to the Yahoo group so if someone has already been here and done
              >> this, I would appreciate the help.
              >>
              >> Bob

              >> WUHU Download page:

              > WUHU Download page:

            • Robert Leinweber
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2013
                John:

                Finally gave it a try..Looks good so far..will watch it a week or so and
                then declare victory!

                Here is what the action file looks like:

                time(23:45,23:59):template:"b:\WUHU\templates\summary.txt"
                "b:\WUHU\weatherdata\%m%d%y_summary.csv"
                time(23:45,23:59):template:"b:\WUHU\templates\summary.txt"
                "b:\WUHU\killdir\summary.txt"

                Looks like it gives me what I wanted without all that machine overhead! I
                use sendmail to send me the file from the killdir and keep the date specific
                file in my weatherdata directory. What a deal!

                Thanks,
                Bob

                >> Can anyone tell me how to generate an action at or near midnight to
                >> execute a script file in WUHU.
                >>
                >> Here is what I am currently doing:
                >>
                >> I execute a script file to capture memory variables (extreme daily temp,
                >> wind chill, highs, lows and rainfall, wind gust,etc for that day) but I
                >> am using the weather update action in WUHU, so I write this data on every
                >> update and then use sendmail to delivery the data as an email message at
                >> or @ 11:59 PM. The problem is that this is very write intensive, so if I
                >> could, within WUHU, generate an interupt (or action) just before
                >> midnight, I can greatly reduce the CPU/program overhead and save my usb
                >> stick some wear and tear.
                >>
                >> Maybe there is a better way to scrounge this data, but I am not aware of
                >> it.
                >>
                >> I am new to the Yahoo group so if someone has already been here and done
                >> this, I would appreciate the help.
                >>
                >> Bob

                >> WUHU Download page:

                > WUHU Download page:

              • John Liss
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 12, 2013
                  Very Cool Bob,

                  Please let us know if it is working for you : ] Looks like you are on
                  the right track though.

                  -John