La Crosse 2308-AL replacement

  • Doug Thompson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      Hi

      I've been running a LC 2308AL since early 01/2008 and joined WUHU on 01/16/2008 and I've learned a great deal by lurking and reading so thank you all.

      As with any other piece of equipment the time may have come for an up-grade: the wind speed detection has become very flaky; the rain gauge is suspect at best; about 3 years ago the batteries leaked in the main station but after a thorough cleaning I got it back online.  I use a ten year old E-Machine laptop, behind a physical router, running fully patched Win-XP as a dedicated server to WeatherUnderground and CWOP,  I started searching for a replacement wind speed/direction unit and a new rain gauge but finding them from a reliable source seems to be a bit problematic.

      I trust the groups input so any suggestions of either a source for replacement parts or a new station would be welcome.  My station budget is in the $150.00 to $300.00 (US) range.

      Thanks again for 5 years of knowledge.

      Doug Thompson

      KCOMANZA2
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
        For the heck of it, you might try contacting La Crosse directly.

        http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/parts

        The parts list does not seem to show much. Not sure what is going on there. I would fire off an email to them.

        It might be worth saving the station if all you need is a new anemometer and a rain bucket.

        I see they sell reconditioned stations as well.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Doug Thompson wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I've been running a LC 2308AL since early 01/2008 and joined WUHU on 01/16/2008 and I've learned a great deal by lurking and reading so thank you all.
        >

        > As with any other piece of equipment the time may have come for an up-grade: the wind speed detection has become very flaky; the rain gauge is suspect at best; about 3 years ago the batteries leaked in the main station but after a thorough cleaning I got it back online.  I use a ten year old E-Machine laptop, behind a physical router, running fully patched Win-XP as a dedicated server to WeatherUnderground and CWOP,  I started searching for a replacement wind speed/direction unit and a new rain gauge but finding them from a reliable source seems to be a bit problematic.
        >
        > I trust the groups input so any suggestions of either a source for replacement parts or a new station would be welcome.  My station budget is in the $150.00 to $300.00 (US) range.
        >
        > Thanks again for 5 years of knowledge.
        >
        > Doug Thompson
        >

        > KCOMANZA2

      • cmc_joe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
          I have had my 2308 running since 2006. I have replaced the wind sensor once (with one with cups instead of the fan style, and replace the rain sensor twice. The site I bought them from (lacrossetechnologyoutlet) does not list them as available now. You might try to Google the actual part number on the sensor. I think that is how I replace the first sensor.

          I have about the same budget for a replacement station (next time this one goes down) and I have settled on the Davis Vantage Vue. Ambient has them now for about 280 plus 110 for the data logger. About 100 more than what I want to spend but.....

          Joe

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:

          > For the heck of it, you might try contacting La Crosse directly.
          >
          > http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/parts
          >
          > The parts list does not seem to show much. Not sure what is going on there. I would fire off an email to them.
          >
          > It might be worth saving the station if all you need is a new anemometer and a rain bucket.
          >
          > I see they sell reconditioned stations as well.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Doug Thompson wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I've been running a LC 2308AL since early 01/2008 and joined WUHU on 01/16/2008 and I've learned a great deal by lurking and reading so thank you all.
          > >

          > > As with any other piece of equipment the time may have come for an up-grade: the wind speed detection has become very flaky; the rain gauge is suspect at best; about 3 years ago the batteries leaked in the main station but after a thorough cleaning I got it back online.  I use a ten year old E-Machine laptop, behind a physical router, running fully patched Win-XP as a dedicated server to WeatherUnderground and CWOP,  I started searching for a replacement wind speed/direction unit and a new rain gauge but finding them from a reliable source seems to be a bit problematic.
          > >
          > > I trust the groups input so any suggestions of either a source for replacement parts or a new station would be welcome.  My station budget is in the $150.00 to $300.00 (US) range.
          > >
          > > Thanks again for 5 years of knowledge.
          > >
          > > Doug Thompson
          > >

          > > KCOMANZA2

        • Chris Vickroy
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
            I used to have a 2310 that I kept going for a while before I bought a Davis WS.  The cheapest way I kept mine working was to go to the Great Big Outlet (it’s now http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/) and buy a second WS to use for parts.  You might try that – unless you do what I did, buy a Davis.  I have not had to replace a part in 6 years.  Smile

            href="http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/parts">http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/parts

            href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Doug Thompson wrote:

            > > Hi

            I've been running a LC 2308AL since early 01/2008 and joined WUHU on 01/16/2008 and I've learned a great deal by lurking and reading so thank you all.

            > > As with any other piece of equipment
            the time may have come for an up-grade: the wind speed detection has become very flaky; the rain gauge is suspect at best; about 3 years ago the batteries leaked in the main station but after a thorough cleaning I got it back online.  I use a ten year old E-Machine laptop, behind a physical router, running fully patched Win-XP as a dedicated server to WeatherUnderground and CWOP,  I started searching for a replacement wind speed/direction unit and a new rain gauge but finding them from a reliable source seems to be a bit problematic.

            > > I trust the groups input so any
            suggestions of either a source for replacement parts or a new station would be welcome.  My station budget is in the $150.00 to $300.00 (US) range.

            > > Thanks again for 5 years of knowledge.
            > >
            > > Doug Thompson

            KCOMANZA2