Re: [wuhu_software_group] WeatherBug Pressure Issue

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 28, 2012
      http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/article.html?entrynum=50

      For those wondering about pressures and what's out of the ordinary.

      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
      Considering the lowest ever record pressure was 25.69" I would suggest that unless you are in the middle of a record breaking hurricane it's quite unlikely.

      Don

      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...> wrote:

      On 12/28/12 5:51 PM, Don Lafferty wrote:

      25.anything seems quite impossible.

      Not really, hurricanes aside.  25.something would be a possible if the the barometer is adjusted at sea level and moved unadjusted to a higher elevation.  That is the principle of measuring elevation with a barometer, or how an altimeter in an aircraft works.

      Bob T.

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013

        Nathan and Robert,

        I’m running a cheapie LaCrosse WS-2813U-IT and it works very well. I didn't recall any setting for altitude on my system, but in looking through the docs, I realized that they had me use a local calibrated barometer to set the relative pressure. Enter that in the base unit and it should convert future absolute readings to relative.

        Happy New Year,

        Mark Stephenson

        WeatherUnderground: KAZPHOEN140

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
            Don,

            I'm not on WeatherBug. Just a personal preference. As a computer tech, for years I was taking that off people's PCs. I had heard (rightly or wrongly at the time) that it was low-level spyware. At the very least, on corporate networks, it was utilizing bandwidth which, back in those days, was a precious commodity. So I've never been a fan.

            In this instance, he was reporting to WeatherBug what he station was recording, so it seemed like an recording error rather than a reporting one. I hope my suggestion helps.

            Mark Stephenson
            WeatherUnderground: KAZPHOEN140

            P.S. Since you asked, I'll start a new thread on the topic of weather services. I've stuck with WU alone since I installed my station.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
                Thanks everyone for your assistance! I think he's good to go, but I'll let you know if he has further questions. You've all been GREAT!