Re: [wuhu_software_group] I did it

  • chris
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 12, 2012
      Congrats!  I made that switch 6 years ago and have not been disappointed.  Just beware, there are a lot of little additional sensors you can put on the unit and you’ll want to fill up the connector bank.  I just got a second console so that I know what the weather is doing without having to go downstairs to the main one, and the powered heat shield a month or so ago.

      It is not very hard to set up at all.  It will take a few minutes to sync the console to the unit, especially if they are not within a few feet of one another.  Mine are probably 75 feet apart, and go all of the way through the house so walls and concrete separate them.  I think that the main issue I had was that the WUHU interface was COM7 (for USB), which surprised me when I set it up.  That may have changed.  I don’t run Heavy Weather, just WUHU.  I have had one issue since starting.  The batteries corroded in the main console.  I was fortunate to have caught it and it cleaned up fine.

      Chris

      Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:53 PM
      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] I did it

      A few weeks ago I was having issues with my OS WMR968 rain gauge. It wouldn't report anything but I thought I fixed it.

      I went out of town last week and it rained a bunch but my station didn't report anything.

      With that annoyance I decided it was time.

      I bought a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Serial Weatherlink. With shipping it was a tad over $500.

      I never thought I would spend that kind of money but I've never been extremely happy with the coarse resolution of my pressure readings. Here's my station:
      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCAWINNE3

      And here's a Davis about a mile from me.
      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCACANOG4

      I think with what I bought I should be able to basically set it up and change WUHU to connect to it and I should be done. Am I right?

      Thanks
      Don

    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 12, 2012
        I don't have any plans for it currently.  I might try to fix the rain gauge and possibly sell it or maybe keep it as a backup.  Hopefully I won't ever need a backup...

        Don

        On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM, touristua <somesvl@...> wrote:

        Yes, you right. What you will do with old station in future?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@..." <don@...> wrote:

        > A few weeks ago I was having issues with my OS WMR968 rain gauge. It wouldn't report anything but I thought I fixed it.
        >
        > I went out of town last week and it rained a bunch but my station didn't report anything.
        >
        > With that annoyance I decided it was time.
        >
        > I bought a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Serial Weatherlink. With shipping it was a tad over $500.
        >
        > I never thought I would spend that kind of money but I've never been extremely happy with the coarse resolution of my pressure readings. Here's my station:
        > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCAWINNE3
        >
        > And here's a Davis about a mile from me.
        > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCACANOG4
        >
        > I think with what I bought I should be able to basically set it up and change WUHU to connect to it and I should be done. Am I right?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Don

      • GW
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 13, 2012
          I suggest once per month (or more often depending on what interval you have the datalogger set for) you close WUHU and open WL, download the data, and save the file somewhere as a backup. I email my file each month to a "cloud" email account just in case. Then restart WUHU and be on your merry way once again! :)

          Enjoy your station!

          My 968 is still hanging in there and my WS 2315 is too. I'm leaving them running just to see how long they'll last.

          Greg Whitehead
          Euchee, TN

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@..." <don@...> wrote:

          > I think with what I bought I should be able to basically set it up and change WUHU to connect to it and I should be done. Am I right?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Don

        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 13, 2012
            I use crashplan on my wx box, works great, every time the file changes
            a backup is made. For the free version of it, it will do backups to
            another computer every 24 hrs.
            Check it out.
            www.crashplan.com

            On 12/13/2012 6:24 PM, GW wrote:

            > I suggest once per month (or more often depending on what interval you have the datalogger set for) you close WUHU and open WL, download the data, and save the file somewhere as a backup. I email my file each month to a "cloud" email account just in case. Then restart WUHU and be on your merry way once again! :)
            >
            > Enjoy your station!
            >
            > My 968 is still hanging in there and my WS 2315 is too. I'm leaving them running just to see how long they'll last.
            >
            > Greg Whitehead
            > Euchee, TN
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@..." <don@...> wrote:
            >> I think with what I bought I should be able to basically set it up and change WUHU to connect to it and I should be done. Am I right?
            >>
            >> Thanks
            >> Don

          • Don Lafferty
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 13, 2012
              Thanks for the tip John.  I just installed in on my 2 main Windows machines.  I will probably put it on my Mac and Linux boxs too.

              Don

              On 12/13/2012 6:24 PM, GW wrote:

              > I suggest once per month (or more often depending on what interval you have the datalogger set for) you close WUHU and open WL, download the data, and save the file somewhere as a backup. I email my file each month to a "cloud" email account just in case. Then restart WUHU and be on your merry way once again! :)
              >
              > Enjoy your station!
              >
              > My 968 is still hanging in there and my WS 2315 is too. I'm leaving them running just to see how long they'll last.
              >
              > Greg Whitehead
              > Euchee, TN
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@..." <don@...> wrote:
              >> I think with what I bought I should be able to basically set it up and change WUHU to connect to it and I should be done. Am I right?
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >> Don

            • John Liss
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 16, 2012
                If there is one product for backups I will endorse is crashplan,  it's like wuhu.  Simple... just works

                It protects all my systems

                On 12/13/2012 6:24 PM, GW wrote:

                > I suggest once per month (or more often depending on what interval you have the datalogger set for) you close WUHU and open WL, download the data, and save the file somewhere as a backup. I email my file each month to a "cloud" email account just in case. Then restart WUHU and be on your merry way once again! :)
                >
                > Enjoy your station!
                >
                > My 968 is still hanging in there and my WS 2315 is too. I'm leaving them running just to see how long they'll last.
                >
                > Greg Whitehead
                > Euchee, TN
                >

                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@..." <don@...> wrote:
                >> I think with what I bought I should be able to basically set it up and change WUHU to connect to it and I should be done. Am I right?
                >>
                >> Thanks
                >> Don

              • Don Lafferty
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012
                  Can someone confirm that there is no real reason to install the WeatherLink software on my computer if I plan to use WUHU only?

                  I'm also kind of surprised that Davis wants you to pay a yearly fee to send them your data.

                  Thanks

                  Don

                  P.S.  Station arrived today and I've got it communicating with the console but I don't plan to install the WeatherLink until this weekend when I actually install the sensor suite.
                   Man is that rain bucket huge!

                  On 12/13/2012 6:24 PM, GW wrote:

                  > I suggest once per month (or more often depending on what interval you have the datalogger set for) you close WUHU and open WL, download the data, and save the file somewhere as a backup. I email my file each month to a "cloud" email account just in case. Then restart WUHU and be on your merry way once again! :)
                  >
                  > Enjoy your station!
                  >
                  > My 968 is still hanging in there and my WS 2315 is too. I'm leaving them running just to see how long they'll last.
                  >
                  > Greg Whitehead
                  > Euchee, TN
                  >

                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@..." <don@...> wrote:
                  >> I think with what I bought I should be able to basically set it up and change WUHU to connect to it and I should be done. Am I right?
                  >>
                  >> Thanks
                  >> Don

                • touristua
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                    No reason. At least, WeatherLink is software from past (Windows 3.11 ha-ha) as I can see by design of WeatherLink window :)

                    But WeatherLink always offer with data logger in the same box.

                  • cpr@mtida.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                      I'm fairly sure you'll need WeatherLlink to set up the console (things like lat/long, elevation and barometric pressure) and any time you need to update the barometer.

                      Jerry

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                        I would hope you can do the barometric pressure from the console.  In fact I would complain to Davis if you can't do all of that without WeatherLink as that would make it so you needed to spend a lot just to be able to access all the stuff inside the console.

                        Don

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                          I checked the manual and you can set all of this from the console without needing the software.
                          Don

                          On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                          I would hope you can do the barometric pressure from the console.  In fact I would complain to Davis if you can't do all of that without WeatherLink as that would make it so you needed to spend a lot just to be able to access all the stuff inside the console.

                          Don

                          On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:51 AM, <cpr@...> wrote:

                          I'm fairly sure you'll need WeatherLlink to set up the console (things like lat/long, elevation and barometric pressure) and any time you need to update the barometer.

                          Jerry

                          > Can someone confirm that there is no real reason to install the WeatherLink
                          > software on my computer if I plan to use WUHU only?

                        • Phillip Potter
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                            I keep a copy of Weatherlink on my computer to download and archive the accumulative data from the VP2.  Otherwise, it's lost.

                            Phil_in_CA
                            CW2620
                            KCACOALI3
                            N6OMM

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                              That's a good idea but isn't my data archived on Weather Underground too?

                              On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Phillip Potter <p.potter@...> wrote:

                              I keep a copy of Weatherlink on my computer to download and archive the accumulative data from the VP2.  Otherwise, it's lost.

                              Phil_in_CA
                              CW2620
                              KCACOALI3
                              N6OMM

                              On 12/20/2012 8:43 AM, Don Lafferty wrote:

                              I checked the manual and you can set all of this from the console without needing the software.

                              Don

                              On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                              I would hope you can do the barometric pressure from the console.  In fact I would complain to Davis if you can't do all of that without WeatherLink as that would make it so you needed to spend a lot just to be able to access all the stuff inside the console.

                              Don

                              On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:51 AM, <cpr@...> wrote:

                              I'm fairly sure you'll need WeatherLlink to set up the console (things like lat/long, elevation and barometric pressure) and any time you need to update the barometer.

                              Jerry

                              > Can someone confirm that there is no real reason to install the WeatherLink
                              > software on my computer if I plan to use WUHU only?

                            • KNHBRIST1
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                                You can also save your data through WUHU. Mine is set up to save my data and create a file each month.