Re: Looking for new hardware.

  • touristua
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
      Why LTE you choose? Not WiFi,or cabled internet? I beleive that LTE is unstable. Can you desribe where located station and where located PC downloading data and send it to internet?

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

      > Can anybody give me any insight how these item might work for WUHU and uploading to Weather Underground.
      >
      > <http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data>
      >
      > <http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY>
      >
      > I need to upload from a remote station that will be solar/wind powered, that's why I need the computer with built in LTE.

    • David
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
        It is a remote station where there are no services. I run solar power and use mobile data. It has been spotty at times with 3G but now the hardware needs updating and I hope the LTE will be better. I am sure I will have to go reset it some though like I do with the 3G.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
          I was wondering if the OS would be different. A net book may be better.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Chris Mattingly <chris@...> wrote:

          > I can tell you wuhu works dandy on a PC running windows, but I do believe
          > the tablet version of windows 8 is not quite identical.
          > On Dec 11, 2012 10:17 PM, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > That tablet does have USB.
          > >
          > > What I am more concerned about is using WUHU on Windows 8.
          > >
          > > The other option of course is a small netbook and a new LTE "stick".
          > >
          > > It has to be smalland use little power since I am running off solar power.
          > >
          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > The WMR200 is fine but that tablet has no USB.
          > > >
          > > > You might be better off getting a small laptop or netbook and a usb WAN
          > > > stick.
          > > >
          > > > Don

          > > http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data

          > > http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY

          > > > --
          > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
          > > > making something that doesn't suck.

        • Don Lafferty
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
            And a netbook will have the USB connector.

            On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 6:13 AM, David <davidmc36@...> wrote:

            I was wondering if the OS would be different. A net book may be better.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Chris Mattingly <chris@...> wrote:

            > I can tell you wuhu works dandy on a PC running windows, but I do believe
            > the tablet version of windows 8 is not quite identical.
            > On Dec 11, 2012 10:17 PM, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **

            > > That tablet does have USB.
            > >
            > > What I am more concerned about is using WUHU on Windows 8.
            > >
            > > The other option of course is a small netbook and a new LTE "stick".
            > >
            > > It has to be smalland use little power since I am running off solar power.
            > >
            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > The WMR200 is fine but that tablet has no USB.
            > > >
            > > > You might be better off getting a small laptop or netbook and a usb WAN
            > > > stick.
            > > >
            > > > Don

            > > http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data

            > > http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY

            > > > --
            > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
            > > > making something that doesn't suck.

          • chris
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
              My netbook has been running great for a couple of years – an older XP model is fine (and cheaper).  Even as a weather server, it just sits and hums along.  It is also a good Skype server!  I have used both the Eee and Acer ones.  The Acer one is running now because I liked the way the Eee acted as a real computer.

              Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:28 AM
              Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Looking for new hardware.

              --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Chris Mattingly <chris@...> wrote:

              > I can tell you wuhu works dandy on a PC running windows, but I do believe
              > the tablet version of windows 8 is not quite identical.
              > On Dec 11, 2012 10:17 PM, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **

              > > That tablet does have USB.
              > >
              > > What I am more concerned about is using WUHU on Windows 8.
              > >
              > > The other option of course is a small netbook and a new LTE "stick".
              > >
              > > It has to be smalland use little power since I am running off solar power.
              > >
              > > --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The WMR200 is fine but that tablet has no USB.
              > > >
              > > > You might be better off getting a small laptop or netbook and a usb WAN
              > > > stick.
              > > >
              > > > Don

              > > http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data

              > > http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY

              > > > --
              > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
              > > > making something that doesn't suck.

            • Larry Myers
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                I just saw this, this morning and thought I would share.....is it viable? maybe not but shows a direction that could be interesting for remote machines later on. Someone took a Raspberry Pi and made it completely solar....I realize this is linux and may be a reason it will not work, but who knows one day it may be a way to make it work.

                Later,
                Larry

                Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:28 AM

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                  +1 for netbbok)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                    My Davis works with netbook too. I buy it for 80 USD - Asus Eee PC900. And install special light version of XP. Works good.