Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Looking for new hardware.

  • Chris Mattingly
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 11, 2012

      I can tell you wuhu works dandy on a PC running windows, but I do believe the tablet version of windows 8 is not quite identical.

      On Dec 11, 2012 10:17 PM, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

      That tablet does have USB.

      What I am more concerned about is using WUHU on Windows 8.

      The other option of course is a small netbook and a new LTE "stick".

      It has to be smalland use little power since I am running off solar power.

      > The WMR200 is fine but that tablet has no USB.
      >
      > You might be better off getting a small laptop or netbook and a usb WAN
      > stick.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM, David <davidmc36@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Can anybody give me any insight how these item might work for WUHU and
      > > uploading to Weather Underground.
      > >
      > > <
      > > http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data
      > > >

      > > <
      > > http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY
      > > >

      > > I need to upload from a remote station that will be solar/wind powered,
      > > that's why I need the computer with built in LTE.
      > >

      > --
      > making something that doesn't suck.

    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2012
        The page you linked does say it has USB but I couldn't find anything that talked about it on the Samsung page.

        It does have HDMI and it says it will take 32 GB external memory but nothing about USB.

        On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM, David <davidmc36@...> wrote:

        That tablet does have USB.

        What I am more concerned about is using WUHU on Windows 8.

        The other option of course is a small netbook and a new LTE "stick".

        It has to be smalland use little power since I am running off solar power.

        > The WMR200 is fine but that tablet has no USB.
        >
        > You might be better off getting a small laptop or netbook and a usb WAN
        > stick.
        >
        > Don
        >
        > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM, David <davidmc36@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **

        > > Can anybody give me any insight how these item might work for WUHU and
        > > uploading to Weather Underground.
        > >
        > > <
        > > http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data
        > > >

        > > <
        > > http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY
        > > >

        > > I need to upload from a remote station that will be solar/wind powered,
        > > that's why I need the computer with built in LTE.
        > >

        > --
        > making something that doesn't suck.

      • touristua
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
          Why LTE you choose? Not WiFi,or cabled internet? I beleive that LTE is unstable. Can you desribe where located station and where located PC downloading data and send it to internet?

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:

          > Can anybody give me any insight how these item might work for WUHU and uploading to Weather Underground.
          >
          > <http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data>
          >
          > <http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY>
          >
          > I need to upload from a remote station that will be solar/wind powered, that's why I need the computer with built in LTE.

        • David
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
            It is a remote station where there are no services. I run solar power and use mobile data. It has been spotty at times with 3G but now the hardware needs updating and I hope the LTE will be better. I am sure I will have to go reset it some though like I do with the 3G.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
              I was wondering if the OS would be different. A net book may be better.

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                And a netbook will have the USB connector.

                On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 6:13 AM, David <davidmc36@...> wrote:

                I was wondering if the OS would be different. A net book may be better.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Chris Mattingly <chris@...> wrote:

                > I can tell you wuhu works dandy on a PC running windows, but I do believe
                > the tablet version of windows 8 is not quite identical.
                > On Dec 11, 2012 10:17 PM, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **

                > > That tablet does have USB.
                > >
                > > What I am more concerned about is using WUHU on Windows 8.
                > >
                > > The other option of course is a small netbook and a new LTE "stick".
                > >
                > > It has to be smalland use little power since I am running off solar power.
                > >
                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The WMR200 is fine but that tablet has no USB.
                > > >
                > > > You might be better off getting a small laptop or netbook and a usb WAN
                > > > stick.
                > > >
                > > > Don

                > > http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data

                > > http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY

                > > > --
                > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
                > > > making something that doesn't suck.

              • chris
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                  My netbook has been running great for a couple of years – an older XP model is fine (and cheaper).  Even as a weather server, it just sits and hums along.  It is also a good Skype server!  I have used both the Eee and Acer ones.  The Acer one is running now because I liked the way the Eee acted as a real computer.

                  Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:28 AM
                  Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Looking for new hardware.

                  --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Chris Mattingly <chris@...> wrote:

                  > I can tell you wuhu works dandy on a PC running windows, but I do believe
                  > the tablet version of windows 8 is not quite identical.
                  > On Dec 11, 2012 10:17 PM, "David" <davidmc36@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **

                  > > That tablet does have USB.
                  > >
                  > > What I am more concerned about is using WUHU on Windows 8.
                  > >
                  > > The other option of course is a small netbook and a new LTE "stick".
                  > >
                  > > It has to be smalland use little power since I am running off solar power.
                  > >
                  > > --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The WMR200 is fine but that tablet has no USB.
                  > > >
                  > > > You might be better off getting a small laptop or netbook and a usb WAN
                  > > > stick.
                  > > >
                  > > > Don

                  > > http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/Oregon-Scientific-WMR200-Professional-Weather--Station-Center.data

                  > > http://www.rogers.com/business/nl/en/smallbusiness/products/wireless/devices/details?sku=XE500GRY

                  > > > --
                  > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
                  > > > making something that doesn't suck.

                • Larry Myers
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                    I just saw this, this morning and thought I would share.....is it viable? maybe not but shows a direction that could be interesting for remote machines later on. Someone took a Raspberry Pi and made it completely solar....I realize this is linux and may be a reason it will not work, but who knows one day it may be a way to make it work.

                    Later,
                    Larry

                    Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:28 AM

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                      +1 for netbbok)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                        My Davis works with netbook too. I buy it for 80 USD - Asus Eee PC900. And install special light version of XP. Works good.