Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Davis Weather Stat ion

  • Robert Costa, KB6QXM
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
      In my opinion, Davis needs to consider a serious UI overhaul for their weatherlink software. The UI looks like something right out of Windows 3.1. The dlls that they use to allow internet access need updating also. From a hardware standpoint, I think that Davis is OK, not cutting edge, but OK,but their software is dated. I think that they are a great privately held US corporation, but in my opinion some money in R&D and software development needs to happen.

      73,
      Robert
      KB6QXM
      "Ham Radio Open Conversation"
      Yahoo group owner/moderator

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
        Fully agree. Win 3.1 is best compare :)

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Costa, KB6QXM" <kb6qxm@...> wrote:

        > In my opinion, Davis needs to consider a serious UI overhaul for their weatherlink software. The UI looks like something right out of Windows 3.1. The dlls that they use to allow internet access need updating also. From a hardware standpoint, I think that Davis is OK, not cutting edge, but OK,but their software is dated. I think that they are a great privately held US corporation, but in my opinion some money in R&D and software development needs to happen.
        >
        > 73,
        > Robert
        > KB6QXM
        > "Ham Radio Open Conversation"
        > Yahoo group owner/moderator

      • Robert Costa, KB6QXM
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
          Considering the cost of their hardware, I would not think that one should buy the software also. It should be sold as a package. I know software development cost money and there is razor thin margins on hardware, especially for hardware produced in the US, but that is how you differentiate yourself from the competition.

          I am a Davis fan, but you have to look at a company that does not keep up with the times. Look at their website. As a web developer and one that has managed large B2B sites, Davis.net also needs a face lift. Their technical support is good, their hardware is good, there just needs to be some 21st century updates.

          My two cents.

          73,
          Robert
          KB6QXM
          "Ham Radio Open Conversation"
          Yahoo group owner/moderator

          As previous poster said, the strongest side of Davis is design of each part their stations and technical solutions. But selling software WeatherLink need update)

          > Ok so if I go with a $285 Vantage Vue I need to buy the datalogger for $150
          > or else go with the guy on the weather forum who makes one for $50.
          >
          > If I go Davis all the way it's $435 or VV and home brew it's $335.
          >
          > I know Davis is the best but what exactly is it that makes it worth 2 or 3
          > times an OS or 4 to 5 times a LaCrosse?
          >

          > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM, touristua <somesvl@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > No. Data logger is necessary for downloading data to PC.
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > So are you saying I can use WUHU as the only piece of software I will
          > > need?
          > > > I don't need the datalogger to connect to my PC?

          > > Cumulus
          > > sell
          > > decide.

          > > hope

          > > always
          > > the

          > > > --
          > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
          > > > making something that doesn't suck.
          > > >

          > --
          > making something that doesn't suck.

        • Don Lafferty
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
            Okay so here's 2 that I'm considering.

            and

            Is the Pro2 really worth another $170?

            Don

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
              Package shopping is always cheaper. As for me I bought VV for 338 USD, then item #7716 for 125 USD and finally USB DL for 192 USD. That was in March 20212.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
                My rain gauge started working again.  I guess it earned a reprieve as did my wallet.