Re: Davis Weather Station

  • touristua
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
      No. Data logger is necessary for downloading data to PC.

      > So are you saying I can use WUHU as the only piece of software I will need?
      > I don't need the datalogger to connect to my PC?
      >

      > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM, touristua <somesvl@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Weatherlink is only Davis software. You can use many another SW: Cumulus
      > > for example, or WUHU. But the excellent idea from Davis managers is to sell
      > > WeatherLink with USB datalogger (or COM, or IP-link). Without interface
      > > between station and PC the data can't be online. So, its time to decide.
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@" <don@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It looks like my WMR968 rain gauge has stopped working.
      > > >
      > > > I'm now thinking about going with a Davis. I have some questions I hope
      > > can be answered.
      > > >
      > > > Is there a Davis station that doesn't need the Weatherlink? I've always
      > > seen someone buy a Davis for $350+ and then be told they needed to buy the
      > > Weatherlink for another $150+. That always seemed like such a ripoff.
      > > >
      > > > I have found a Vantage Vue on Ebay for $286 but I fear I will need to
      > > put out another couple hundred to get it online.
      > > >
      > > > Can someone give me the scoop on Davis please?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Don
      > > >

      > --
      > making something that doesn't suck.

    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
        Ok so if I go with a $285 Vantage Vue I need to buy the datalogger for $150 or else go with the guy on the weather forum who makes one for $50.

        If I go Davis all the way it's $435 or VV and home brew it's $335.

        I know Davis is the best but what exactly is it that makes it worth 2 or 3 times an OS or 4 to 5 times a LaCrosse?

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
          Yes, you need to buy Weatherlink USB or Weatherlink IP sets. On official site it cost 165 USD for USB and 295 for IP. See here: http://www.vantagevue.com/products/product.asp?pnum=06510USB

          As previous poster said, the strongest side of Davis is design of each part their stations and technical solutions. But selling software WeatherLink need update)

          > Ok so if I go with a $285 Vantage Vue I need to buy the datalogger for $150
          > or else go with the guy on the weather forum who makes one for $50.
          >
          > If I go Davis all the way it's $435 or VV and home brew it's $335.
          >
          > I know Davis is the best but what exactly is it that makes it worth 2 or 3
          > times an OS or 4 to 5 times a LaCrosse?
          >

          > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM, touristua <somesvl@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > No. Data logger is necessary for downloading data to PC.
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > So are you saying I can use WUHU as the only piece of software I will
          > > need?
          > > > I don't need the datalogger to connect to my PC?

          > > Cumulus
          > > sell
          > > decide.

          > > hope

          > > always
          > > the

          > > > --
          > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
          > > > making something that doesn't suck.
          > > >

          > --
          > making something that doesn't suck.

        • GW
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
            Here is one example of a Davis connecting device:

            http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=14063.0

            There are several others I think that make dataloggers/connectors there on wxforum.net. Do a search and good luck with your update. I did the WMR968 thing and love my Davis. Also, I run WUHU software.

            > Over in the weather forum, there is a guy selling his own developed hardware. I think it was around $50.
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laffert@" <don@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It looks like my WMR968 rain gauge has stopped working.
            > >
            > > I'm now thinking about going with a Davis. I have some questions I hope can be answered.
            > >
            > > Is there a Davis station that doesn't need the Weatherlink? I've always seen someone buy a Davis for $350+ and then be told they needed to buy the Weatherlink for another $150+. That always seemed like such a ripoff.
            > >
            > > I have found a Vantage Vue on Ebay for $286 but I fear I will need to put out another couple hundred to get it online.
            > >
            > > Can someone give me the scoop on Davis please?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Don

          • T
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
              Take a look at: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=59.0

              There are some home brew systems to transfer data from the console to your computer.