Re: Yet another bug in WS3600 Heavy Weather?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2005
      David,

      I am not certain, but I believe the history.dat is written at a
      minimum of 5 minute intervals.

      If the Heavyweather application were to write currdat.lst every time
      the data is read from the console, this should correct the wind
      speed/gust issue.

      Ideally, if I could support the 36xx protocol, I would talk to the
      units directly. I believe the 23xx protocol understood well enough to
      implement it for practical purposes.

      They might not be the exclusive distributor, but maybe they can
      motivate the supplier to correct the problems.

      I believe the contact for Lacrosse is at:

      http://www.lacrossetechnology.info/contact.html

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

    • David Higgins
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2005
        It wouldn't matter how often they write the data to current.1st The
        problem is that they are NOT writing gust information to it.

        Cheers

        David Higgins
        Canberra, Australia
        http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
          David,

          I am guessing that the unit is measuring current wind speed in a
          given time interval. It may or not be capturing the gust speed and
          reporting that value when the data is received by Heavyweather. The
          documentation makes no reference to gust wind speed.

          What I do know is that when in wired mode, the unit is reporting to
          Heavyweather approximately ever 9 seconds. Heavyweather is reading
          and probably storing this data. They are probably then determining
          gust speed as the highest wind speed over the past 5 minutes (minimum
          recording interval for history.dat).

          When we look at the current.lst file, Heavyweather is only updating
          this file 1/6 of the time (since it is updating the file only once
          per minute). I believe that what it is writing to the current.lst
          file is the last update received from the unit (before the 1 minute
          time period has expired).

          Therefore Heavyweather is processing 100% of the data received from
          the unit and currdat.lst is receiving about 16% of the data.

          Ideally Heavyweather would update currdat.lst with 100% of the data,
          then we can determine gust speed from the readings. This would be a
          quick and easy change to the software (I requested this change back
          in April 2005).

          The current.lst file would be preferable over the history.dat file in
          that the data is in plain text form for other applications to access
          (Heavyweather publisher uses this method). The history.dat file on
          the other hand is encoded in binary data. The format of the
          history.dat file is dependent upon the model being used.

          I will take a look at the file formats to see if they can be decoded
          properly. I should be able to support both.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
            Are we talking WS2300 or WS3600 here? The doco for the WS3600
            specifically states that it reports wind gust information. Wind
            Gust *is* displayed in the unit display so I don't believe it is
            some special function in heavyweather.

            Observation of the 2 values displayed in the unit (Wind speed and
            Gust) shows that heavy weather is NOT doing what you suggest.

            Cheers

            David

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
              David,

              I was refering to the WS2300 series. I was not aware that the WS3600
              maintained gust informaiton.

              Do we know if the gust information is stored in the currdat.lst file?

              Is it stored in the histor.dat file?

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
                David,

                I found the info for decoding the history.dat file.

                You are right, the 3600 does record wind gust whereas the 2300 does
                not.

                HeavyWeather History File Format
                --------------------------------

                Last Updated 2005/7/8
                Compiled by Ben Udall

                By default, weather history is stored in the history.dat file in the
                HeavyWeather folder. HeavyWeather and HeavyWeatherPro use two
                different
                formats, both of which are presented below. Initial format
                information
                for HeavyWeatherPro was taken from Cyril Cavadore's program
                (http://www.astrosurf.com/cavadore/meteo/stations_meteo/lacrosse/)

                *******************

                HeavyWeather V2.0 beta
                La Crosse WS-2310 and WS-2315 weather stations

                Each row of data is stored in 36 byte chunks starting from the
                beginning of
                the file (no header).

                Row
                Offset Type Name Unit
                ------ --------- ---------------- -----
                00 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 1)
                04 ULong [4] Timestamp seconds from 1/1/1900 00:00:00
                (GMT)
                08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                12 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
                16 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
                20 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
                24 Float [4] Indoor Temp Celsius
                28 Float [4] Outdoor Temp Celsius
                32 UWord [2] Indoor Humidity %
                34 UWord [2] Outdoor Humidity %

                At the end of the file is an additional 28 bytes providing
                information about
                the dataset as a whole.

                Offset Type Description
                ------ --------- ----------------
                00 ULong [4] unknown
                04 Ulong [4] unknown (0)
                08 Float [4] unknown (5.698)
                12 ULong [4] unknown (0)
                16 ULong [4] Number of rows
                20 ULong [4] Timestamp of the first row of data
                24 ULong [4] Timestamp of the last row of data

                *******************

                HeavyWeatherPro V1.1
                La Crosse WS-3610 weather station

                Each row of data is stored in 56 byte chunks starting from the
                beginning of
                the file (no header).

                ROW
                OFFSET Type Name Unit
                ------ --------- ---------------- -----
                00 Double [8] Timestamp days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00
                (GMT)
                08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                12 Float [4] Relative Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                16 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
                20 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
                24 Float [4] Wind Gust meters/second
                28 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
                32 Float [4] New Rainfall millimeters
                36 Float [4] Indoor Temp celsius
                40 Float [4] Outdoor Temp celsius
                44 Float [4] Indoor Humidity %
                48 Float [4] Outdoor Humidity %
                52 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 0)

                Since the timestamp is a double, the fractional part represents
                fractions of
                a day. This is probably the same type as the Delphi TdateTime type.
                More
                information about this type can be found here:
                http://www.aimtec.com.au/articles/ItsAboutTime/Default.htm

                *******************

                Wind Direction

                Wind direction is encoded as an integer between 0 and 15. To get the
                wind direction in degrees, multiply the value by 22.5. To get compass
                directions (moving clockwise) 0 is North, 1 is North-Northeast, 2 is
                Northeast, etc...
                0 N
                1 NNE
                2 NE