Twitter/Facebook

  • Eternal Danation
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2012
      How hard would it be, or would it even be possible, to provide an option in WUHU allowing us to upload weather updates to out twitter and/or facebook pages? These mediums have become such a huge part of information dissemination now.

      Thanks, Dan
    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 4, 2012
        Twitter is already possible.  Go to the Files section and you'll find a section for Twitter Helper.  There is a file you can download and follow the instructions and you'll be Tweeting in no time.

        Don

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 4, 2012
          Cool, thanx Don!

          > Twitter is already possible. Go to the Files section and you'll find a
          > section for Twitter Helper. There is a file you can download and follow
          > the instructions and you'll be Tweeting in no time.
          >
          > Don
          >
          > On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Eternal Danation <weatherbear@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > How hard would it be, or would it even be possible, to provide an option
          > > in WUHU allowing us to upload weather updates to out twitter and/or
          > > facebook pages? These mediums have become such a huge part of information
          > > dissemination now.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Dan
          > >

          > --
          > making something that doesn't suck.

        • Don Lafferty
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 4, 2012
            http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/the-wuhu-software-manual/exporting-data-out-of-wuhu/tweeting-with-wuhu/

            There's the link to John Liss's WUHU Wiki for WUHUTweet.

            On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Eternal Danation <weatherbear@...> wrote:

            Cool, thanx Don!

            > Twitter is already possible. Go to the Files section and you'll find a
            > section for Twitter Helper. There is a file you can download and follow
            > the instructions and you'll be Tweeting in no time.
            >
            > Don
            >
            > On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Eternal Danation <weatherbear@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **

            > > How hard would it be, or would it even be possible, to provide an option
            > > in WUHU allowing us to upload weather updates to out twitter and/or
            > > facebook pages? These mediums have become such a huge part of information
            > > dissemination now.
            > >
            > > Thanks, Dan
            > >

            > --
            > making something that doesn't suck.

          • W. DePriest
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
              Using the WUHU Twitter Helper, you can also send the updates to Facebook using the "Selective Tweets" application (http://apps.facebook.com/selectivetwitter/) that will post any tweet with "#fb" to your Facebook page.

              -William
            • Don Lafferty
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                Hmmm.  This looks like I might want to give an update to WUHUTweet to allow you to append the #fb to selective tweets.

                I post to Twitter every hour but I wouldn't want to post to FB the same frequency.

                I think I'll look at making an option to either post every n times or make it so you can say what times of the day you would want to post to FB.

                Any suggestions?

                This it a great find William!

                Don

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                  Hey Don, I followed the instruction on the page. Got my twitter verification and such. However, the file TwitterVB.dll did not get created in my WUHU directory. Also, I am already using the Alert "on weather update" feature in WUHU directing it to an Action.lst file. Can I just add your command to that file?

                  Thanx, Dan

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                    You have to manually move the .dll to your WUHU folder I believe.

                    Yes you should be able to add it to your action.lst file.

                    Don

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                      Looking at the instructions and also the zip file it looks like installing the Verification Program should install the .dll but perhaps it doesn't always do that.

                      I should probably check that out to verify what it does.  It's been a few years since I created the program.

                      The Version 0.32 file has the .dll in it.

                      Don

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                        I'm thinking Version 0.30 installs it but Version 0.32 requires that you do it yourself.

                        Looks like it's time to come out with a version that works on Win 2K and installs on anything.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                          Thanks Don. Was able to find the file and put the command line into the Actionlst.txt file. Works great. However, and isn't there always an however? ... My current weather action updates every minute, as I send my latest obs to a table on my website. I really don't want to tweet my wx every minute, so is there something I could put in the command line, as I see only one "on weather update" line in WUHU.

                          dan

                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                            I believe there's a way to tell the action.lst to only do a line if certain conditions are met.

                            I don't remember what the command is but you can look at the wiki or you can wait for someone on here to chime in.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                              Awesome. If not maybe WUHU could add another On Weather Update line?

                              db

                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                Huh, everything was working great on twitter until 12:17 when the tweets just suddenly stopped. Do u think they would shut me down by tweeting every minute? Just made minor command line adjustments, but it even stopped after going back to original code. Any issues with the program locking up or could this be a twitter issue?

                                Thanks, Dan

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                  I've never had it lock up.  It's a really simple program.

                                  Here's the section on action line limiters.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                    By the way what's your Twitter address?

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                      Started working again after a reboot. Thanks for all your help. Will probably just upload every 10 minutes, but will look at the action limits a see how it works. If possible will update more often to my main website and less to twitter. I'm at:

                                      https://twitter.com/SouthOgdenWx

                                      http://weatherbear.com/

                                      dan

                                      > By the way what's your Twitter address?
                                      >
                                      > Mine is http://twitter.com/winnetkaweather
                                      >

                                      > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I've never had it lock up. It's a really simple program.
                                      > >
                                      > > Here's the section on action line limiters.
                                      > >

                                      > > http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/the-wuhu-software-manual/exporting-data-out-of-wuhu/performing-multiple-actions-in-wuhu-using-a-action-file/using-action-limiters-in-action-files/
                                      > >

                                      > > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Eternal Danation <weatherbear@...>wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> **
                                      > >>

                                      > >> Huh, everything was working great on twitter until 12:17 when the tweets
                                      > >> just suddenly stopped. Do u think they would shut me down by tweeting every
                                      > >> minute? Just made minor command line adjustments, but it even stopped after
                                      > >> going back to original code. Any issues with the program locking up or
                                      > >> could this be a twitter issue?
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Thanks, Dan

                                      > >> certain

                                      > >> the
                                      > >> send my
                                      > >> wx
                                      > >> as I

                                      > >> that you

                                      > >> 2K and

                                      > >> doesn't

                                      > >> been a

                                      > >> get
                                      > >> weather

                                      > >> http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/the-wuhu-software-manual/exporting-data-out-of-wuhu/tweeting-with-wuhu/

                                      > >> <don@>

                                      > >> you'll
                                      > >> download

                                      > >> <weatherbear@

                                      > >> twitter
                                      > >> part of

                                      > >> day they

                                      > >> they

                                      > >> start

                                      > >> start

                                      > >> start

                                      > > --
                                      > > making something that doesn't suck.
                                      > >

                                      > --
                                      > making something that doesn't suck.

                                    • John Liss
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                        See:

                                        On 11/5/2012 11:38 AM, Eternal Danation wrote:
                                        > Thanks Don. Was able to find the file and put the command line into the Actionlst.txt file. Works great. However, and isn't there always an however? ... My current weather action updates every minute, as I send my latest obs to a table on my website. I really don't want to tweet my wx every minute, so is there something I could put in the command line, as I see only one "on weather update" line in WUHU.
                                        >
                                        > dan
                                        >

                                        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                                        >> I'm thinking Version 0.30 installs it but Version 0.32 requires that you do
                                        >> it yourself.
                                        >>
                                        >> Looks like it's time to come out with a version that works on Win 2K and
                                        >> installs on anything.
                                        >>
                                        >> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> Looking at the instructions and also the zip file it looks like installing
                                        >>> the Verification Program should install the .dll but perhaps it doesn't
                                        >>> always do that.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> I should probably check that out to verify what it does. It's been a few
                                        >>> years since I created the program.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> The Version 0.32 file has the .dll in it.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Don

                                        >>> --
                                        >>> The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
                                        >>> making something that doesn't suck.
                                        >>>

                                        >> --
                                        >> The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
                                        >> making something that doesn't suck.

                                        > WUHU Download page:

                                      • Eternal Danation
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                          Thanx John & Don. Working like a charm. Uploading every 15 minutes for the time being. Is Facebook next?

                                          Dan

                                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                                          > See:
                                          > http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/the-wuhu-software-manual/exporting-data-out-of-wuhu/performing-multiple-actions-in-wuhu-using-a-action-file/using-action-limiters-in-action-files/
                                          >
                                          > On 11/5/2012 11:38 AM, Eternal Danation wrote:
                                          > > Thanks Don. Was able to find the file and put the command line into the Actionlst.txt file. Works great. However, and isn't there always an however? ... My current weather action updates every minute, as I send my latest obs to a table on my website. I really don't want to tweet my wx every minute, so is there something I could put in the command line, as I see only one "on weather update" line in WUHU.
                                          > >
                                          > > dan
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
                                          > >> I'm thinking Version 0.30 installs it but Version 0.32 requires that you do
                                          > >> it yourself.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> Looks like it's time to come out with a version that works on Win 2K and
                                          > >> installs on anything.

                                          > >> --
                                          > >> The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
                                          > >> making something that doesn't suck.

                                          > > WUHU Download page:

                                        • Don Lafferty
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                            Remember what William posted earlier today.

                                          • Don Lafferty
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
                                              I played around with it a bit and it's going to be easy to do.

                                              I think what I'll have is a couple of cfg entries that you can set to enable it and then I think I'll make it so you can choose weekly, daily, hourly or possible something different.  I would only do it daily although my tweet goes out every hour.  Any other suggestions as to frequency ability?

                                              Of course you could actually do it very easily using an action file but I'll add the ability to do it within the program.

                                              Don

                                            • KNHBRIST1
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 6, 2012
                                                I set up the twitter thing a while back thanks to much help from Don.
                                                Took me a while to get it working...LOL
                                                I had to stop it though as it was using the same operation that I am using to save all my data to a csv file.

                                                Steve
                                              • Don Lafferty

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 8, 2012
                                                    Your program is great Don, works like a charm. Is there a way to upload a photo of the current weather along with the text we're sending? Think that would be a really cool feature to have.

                                                    Thanks, Dan

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 8, 2012
                                                      There's no way with my program but there are several programs that people use.  I use ConquerCam, some use WheresJames and others use some other programs.

                                                      I think John has a list in the wiki.  You can find it from the Group on Yahoo.

                                                      Don