RE: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Eastern Earthquake

  • Chris Fasciano
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 17, 2012

      Steve;

      Thanks…I’ll attempt doing that when it’s a bad rainy day and I am bored to death hiding under my blankets…I have it set up for NZ and US. Mostly 1 and above so if there is a bang happens in my area like Pittsburgh actually I will know a 1.0 hit Pittsburgh.  But when I saw 4.6 in Maine I was hysterical racing upstairs before the debate for breaking news…

      Again what I feared was in LA this last few weeks with a bad quake with Endeavour.  I know lots of false reporting as it slowly rolled by…probably lots of pavement/concrete needs to be patched up with that heavy shuttle.

      Chris in PA, USA

    • KNHBRIST1
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 22, 2012
        L'AQUILA, Italy – Defying assertions that earthquakes cannot be predicted, an Italian court convicted seven scientists and experts of manslaughter Monday for failing to adequately warn residents before a temblor struck central Italy in 2009 and killed more than 300 people.
        The court in L'Aquila Monday evening handed down six-year-prison sentences to the defendants, members of a national "Great Risks Commission." In Italy, convictions aren't definitive until after an appeals trial, so it is unlikely any of the defendants would face jail immediately.
      • Jaye Ellen Burke
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 22, 2012
          Amazing how mere mortals suffer for inability to control Mother Nature, eh?

          Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2

          On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          L'AQUILA, Italy – Defying assertions that earthquakes cannot be predicted, an Italian court convicted seven scientists and experts of manslaughter Monday for failing to adequately warn residents before a temblor struck central Italy in 2009 and killed more than 300 people.
          The court in L'Aquila Monday evening handed down six-year-prison sentences to the defendants, members of a national "Great Risks Commission." In Italy, convictions aren't definitive until after an appeals trial, so it is unlikely any of the defendants would face jail immediately.

        • Rob Cranfill
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2012
            Did you read the article? I don't think it's as obviously "dumb" as all that. These guys were in charge of warning people about earthquakes, and they basically said "Don't worry about it."

            <quote>
            The six scientists and a former government official were all m
            embers of the Major Risks Committee which met in the central Italian city on March 31, 2009, after several small tremors had been recorded in the region. At the time, they ruled that it was impossible to determine whether the tremors would be followed by a large quake, in a judgment which reassured residents. One of the group famously advised them to relax with a glass of wine. Just six days later, a 6.3 magnitude quake devastated L’Aquila.
            </quote>

            It might be more comparable to someone saying, before St. Helens blew up, "Oh, that bulge? Nothing to worry about!"

            </rob>