Re: Two Vue's and WUHU's

  • marcelcanine
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 11, 2012
      To the best of my knowledege Weather link does not create multiple com ports. You need some type of com port spliter or virtual com port software. I use ComOcom.

      several virtual com port drivers can be found here

      http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html

      Com O com is free most of the others are not.

      > I believe the Davis software will be the one that needs to create the two virtual ports.
      >
      > VP will allow you to share a port but does not create the virtual serial ports.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eternal Danation" <weatherbear@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanx everyone. Yeah, I'm not too concerned about running 2 WUHU's at the same time from different directories, mainly I'm wondering if one copy of Virtual VP will allow 2 different virtual serial com ports for 2 vantage vues. If not, I'll have to set things up on another computer. I'll know by late thursday of on friday. :)
      > >
      > > dan
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "GW" <gw333@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I can second this method (although I'm running XP). I have three instances of WUHU running on an old Dell desktop and three weather stations (a Davis VP2, LaCrosse WS-2315 and OS WMR968). They have all ran flawlessly for several years, and always restart automatically after a power outage or reboot.

    • marcelcanine
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 11, 2012
        I do not normally run two interations of WUHU at the same time but I do run WUHU and VPLive at the same time on one netbook and somtimes Weather Link at the same time on the same netbook. As needed I also run Weather Link and somtimes Cumulus on a second computer across my network.

        I use virtual VP to control the console and to feed data to all of the programs. I use ComOcom to create additional com ports as needed.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 11, 2012
          The problem is that someone wants to hook up two consoles to a single PC rather than having a single console with multiple software applications (solved with Virtual VP).

          The Davis software comes with a program called CP20X Virtual Serial Port. They did not write this but they re-distribute it. This allows the software to talk to what it thinks is a PC serial port but in reality it is a USB link.

          The only way to know for sure is to hook up two Davis consoles with USB loggers to see if their software creates multiple virtual serial ports. If they do, there will be no issues.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "marcelcanine" <marcelcanine@...> wrote:

          > To the best of my knowledege Weather link does not create multiple com ports. You need some type of com port spliter or virtual com port software. I use ComOcom.
          >
          > several virtual com port drivers can be found here
          >
          > http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html
          >
          > Com O com is free most of the others are not.

          > > I believe the Davis software will be the one that needs to create the two virtual ports.
          > >
          > > VP will allow you to share a port but does not create the virtual serial ports.
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eternal Danation" <weatherbear@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanx everyone. Yeah, I'm not too concerned about running 2 WUHU's at the same time from different directories, mainly I'm wondering if one copy of Virtual VP will allow 2 different virtual serial com ports for 2 vantage vues. If not, I'll have to set things up on another computer. I'll know by late thursday of on friday. :)
          > > >
          > > > dan

        • Eternal Danation
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 11, 2012
            Success! :D Got my weatherlink package today, hooked up the new Vue to the PC. Since I already was running WUHU on com6 created by my old weatherlink VP serial port I though I'd just get my WUHU2 up and running, then start trying com ports to see what happens. No luck until I got to com9, when it suddenly connected, much to my surprise! So, now I'm running 2 vue's on the same pc using separate WUHU's. One is on the roof, and the other about 100 feet down the hill. Already a 4 degree temp difference in the morning, will be fun to compare the two with rain, the lower one is wind protected. Thanks for all the advise ya'all...

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 12, 2012
              Excellent. Thanks for the update.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eternal Danation" <weatherbear@...> wrote:

              > Success! :D Got my weatherlink package today, hooked up the new Vue to the PC. Since I already was running WUHU on com6 created by my old weatherlink VP serial port I though I'd just get my WUHU2 up and running, then start trying com ports to see what happens. No luck until I got to com9, when it suddenly connected, much to my surprise! So, now I'm running 2 vue's on the same pc using separate WUHU's. One is on the roof, and the other about 100 feet down the hill. Already a 4 degree temp difference in the morning, will be fun to compare the two with rain, the lower one is wind protected. Thanks for all the advise ya'all...
              >
              > Dan

              > > The problem is that someone wants to hook up two consoles to a single PC rather than having a single console with multiple software applications (solved with Virtual VP).
              > >
              > > The Davis software comes with a program called CP20X Virtual Serial Port. They did not write this but they re-distribute it. This allows the software to talk to what it thinks is a PC serial port but in reality it is a USB link.
              > >
              > > The only way to know for sure is to hook up two Davis consoles with USB loggers to see if their software creates multiple virtual serial ports. If they do, there will be no issues.
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "marcelcanine" <marcelcanine@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > To the best of my knowledege Weather link does not create multiple com ports. You need some type of com port spliter or virtual com port software. I use ComOcom.
              > > >
              > > > several virtual com port drivers can be found here
              > > >
              > > > http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html
              > > >
              > > > Com O com is free most of the others are not.

            • Eternal Danation
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 12, 2012
                Nice comparison right now...

                http://weatherbear.com/

                > Excellent. Thanks for the update.
                >

                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eternal Danation" <weatherbear@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Success! :D Got my weatherlink package today, hooked up the new Vue to the PC. Since I already was running WUHU on com6 created by my old weatherlink VP serial port I though I'd just get my WUHU2 up and running, then start trying com ports to see what happens. No luck until I got to com9, when it suddenly connected, much to my surprise! So, now I'm running 2 vue's on the same pc using separate WUHU's. One is on the roof, and the other about 100 feet down the hill. Already a 4 degree temp difference in the morning, will be fun to compare the two with rain, the lower one is wind protected. Thanks for all the advise ya'all...
                > >
                > > Dan

                > > > The problem is that someone wants to hook up two consoles to a single PC rather than having a single console with multiple software applications (solved with Virtual VP).
                > > >
                > > > The Davis software comes with a program called CP20X Virtual Serial Port. They did not write this but they re-distribute it. This allows the software to talk to what it thinks is a PC serial port but in reality it is a USB link.
                > > >
                > > > The only way to know for sure is to hook up two Davis consoles with USB loggers to see if their software creates multiple virtual serial ports. If they do, there will be no issues.

              • David Lipper
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 12, 2012
                  On 2012-10-12 18:54, Eternal Danation wrote:

                  Nice comparison right now...

                  http://weatherbear.com/

                  Ooh, very nice!
                • GW
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 13, 2012
                    I'm glad you got everything working to your satisfaction! :)

                    Comparisons can be interesting. That's why I have three different types of stations on the same pole and they're all using WUHU. So the only difference will be the stations, not the software.

                    https://sites.google.com/site/tenmileweather/

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eternal Danation" <weatherbear@...> wrote:

                    > Nice comparison right now...
                    >
                    > http://weatherbear.com/
                  • Eternal Danation
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 13, 2012
                      So you're comparing the differences between station types, interesting. That's a cool idea. What have you concluded?

                      My comparisons with 2 Vue's will show what I've always known, but still is kinda cool to see live. A station in the same yard, but about 100 feet lower, will read much cooler on a clear, calm morning. Thus far, it has been 3-4 degrees cooler with the morning low. And, since it is also sitting on a south facing hill, and somewhat wind protected, it reads 4-6 degrees warmer on a sunny day, especially during the fall & spring when the sun is hitting the hill slope pretty much perpendicular. The station on the hill also does better collecting rain, mainly due to the lack of wind. The storm yesterday showed .40 in my official 4" rain gauge, with .38 on the hill and .31 on the roof. Wind was blowing 5-15 mph most of the time, and I'm quite sure it affected the roof rain sensor. I even suspect a bit of wind deflection on the hill, as the direction was southerly. My 4" gauge is pretty much protected from wind from any direction.

                      http://weatherbear.com/

                      dan

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "GW" <gw333@...> wrote:

                      > I'm glad you got everything working to your satisfaction! :)
                      >
                      > Comparisons can be interesting. That's why I have three different types of stations on the same pole and they're all using WUHU. So the only difference will be the stations, not the software.
                      >
                      > https://sites.google.com/site/tenmileweather/
                      >
                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eternal Danation" <weatherbear@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Nice comparison right now...
                      > >
                      > > http://weatherbear.com/

                    • GW
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 14, 2012
                        Some differences were known before mounting the stations: one station is battery power only; one measures rainfall in 0.01 increments, one is 0.02 increments, and one is 0.04 increments; and they all update at different rates.

                        But what I discovered is that they're all fairly close in their measurements, and all perform as expected. Also, it takes different amounts of wind to start the anemometers spinning.

                        One of my reasons for putting them up was in case someone was interested in comparison if they were thinking about buying a type of station. However, I think the La Crosse and Oregon Scientific stations are no longer manufactured. So I guess I'll leave them up to see which one lives the longest.