RE: [wuhu_software_group] La Crosse 2316 temp sensor dead

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6 9:00 AM

      Try to find a replacement at http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/ - I replaced my unit a few years ago – was getting way-off on hygrometer readings

      From: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ripvanbrown
      Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:19 AM
      To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] La Crosse 2316 temp sensor dead

      Any ideas on reviving a La Crosse 2316 thermo-hygrometer sensor? Mine died about a week ago. The wind speed, direction, rain gauge and base unit are all functioning otherwise. I'm running a wired connection (so batteries aren't the issue) and have tried to reset the base by unplugging it and pressing the "+" button, but no luck.

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6 10:46 AM
        I had a 2317 and the wind gauge was the problem. Looked at the prices on their site for replacement. My view was it made a decent down payment in getting another system. I ended up with a 2810. Lot more reliable and I too ran direct wire with the 2317.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike.a.p@...> wrote:

        > Try to find a replacement at http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/ - I replaced my
        > unit a few years ago - was getting way-off on hygrometer readings

      • chris
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6 10:56 AM
          When I had that type of station (ws2310), I used to just buy an entire replacement station for parts (I had issues with wind and rain).  Two failures, and the remainder was paid for and I had a lot of hot spares  A lot cheaper in the mid-run, until I went the Davis route with no failures in about 5 years.    Great Big Outlet is a super source.

          --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike.a.p@...> wrote:

          > Try to find a replacement at
          http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/ - I replaced my
          > unit a few years ago - was getting way-off on hygrometer
          readings

          href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com

          href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com

          > Any ideas on reviving a La Crosse 2316
          thermo-hygrometer sensor? Mine died
          > about a week ago. The wind speed,
          direction, rain gauge and base unit are
          > all functioning otherwise. I'm
          running a wired connection (so batteries
          > aren't the issue) and have
          tried to reset the base by unplugging it and
          > pressing the "+" button,
          but no luck.

        • ripvanbrown
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6 10:34 PM
            I did a quick check of the wires but not a thorough one. Guess that will be my next step. Aside from that, are there any other suggestions? Is pressing the "+" button for 2 seconds until it beeps the only step I need to take to try and re-establish the connection between the sensor and the base unit? Any way to test the sensor to see whether it's that or the wires - like with a multi-testor? Would just like to isolate the problem and not just throw the baby out with the bathwater. Thanks!

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 7 4:13 AM
              I remember that my system used telephone wires between the temp sensor and the base unit.  My suggestion would be to get a new wire from Radio Shack or Walmart and test with that.  You can try a shorter wire if you have a telephone you can disconnect and  temporarily move the temp sensor to within reach of the base unit.  Wires can corrode at the connection or under the plastic, so a visual check may not find the problem.  I am having a similar problem with the battery cables in my older car.

              Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 12:34 AM