La Crosse 2316 temp sensor dead

  • ripvanbrown
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
      Any ideas on reviving a La Crosse 2316 thermo-hygrometer sensor? Mine died about a week ago. The wind speed, direction, rain gauge and base unit are all functioning otherwise. I'm running a wired connection (so batteries aren't the issue) and have tried to reset the base by unplugging it and pressing the "+" button, but no luck.
    • chris
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
        Just an idea – have you checked the wires?  Make sure the connections have not corroded and that the wires did not get pinched somewhere.

        Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:19 AM
        Subject: [wuhu_software_group] La Crosse 2316 temp sensor dead

        Any ideas on reviving a La Crosse 2316 thermo-hygrometer sensor? Mine died about a week ago. The wind speed, direction, rain gauge and base unit are all functioning otherwise. I'm running a wired connection (so batteries aren't the issue) and have tried to reset the base by unplugging it and pressing the "+" button, but no luck.

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012

          Try to find a replacement at http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/ - I replaced my unit a few years ago – was getting way-off on hygrometer readings

          Any ideas on reviving a La Crosse 2316 thermo-hygrometer sensor? Mine died about a week ago. The wind speed, direction, rain gauge and base unit are all functioning otherwise. I'm running a wired connection (so batteries aren't the issue) and have tried to reset the base by unplugging it and pressing the "+" button, but no luck.

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
            I had a 2317 and the wind gauge was the problem. Looked at the prices on their site for replacement. My view was it made a decent down payment in getting another system. I ended up with a 2810. Lot more reliable and I too ran direct wire with the 2317.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
              When I had that type of station (ws2310), I used to just buy an entire replacement station for parts (I had issues with wind and rain).  Two failures, and the remainder was paid for and I had a lot of hot spares  A lot cheaper in the mid-run, until I went the Davis route with no failures in about 5 years.    Great Big Outlet is a super source.

              --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike.a.p@...> wrote:

              > Try to find a replacement at
              http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/ - I replaced my
              > unit a few years ago - was getting way-off on hygrometer
              readings

              href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com

              href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com

              > Any ideas on reviving a La Crosse 2316
              thermo-hygrometer sensor? Mine died
              > about a week ago. The wind speed,
              direction, rain gauge and base unit are
              > all functioning otherwise. I'm
              running a wired connection (so batteries
              > aren't the issue) and have
              tried to reset the base by unplugging it and
              > pressing the "+" button,
              but no luck.

            • ripvanbrown
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
                I did a quick check of the wires but not a thorough one. Guess that will be my next step. Aside from that, are there any other suggestions? Is pressing the "+" button for 2 seconds until it beeps the only step I need to take to try and re-establish the connection between the sensor and the base unit? Any way to test the sensor to see whether it's that or the wires - like with a multi-testor? Would just like to isolate the problem and not just throw the baby out with the bathwater. Thanks!

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 7, 2012
                  I remember that my system used telephone wires between the temp sensor and the base unit.  My suggestion would be to get a new wire from Radio Shack or Walmart and test with that.  You can try a shorter wire if you have a telephone you can disconnect and  temporarily move the temp sensor to within reach of the base unit.  Wires can corrode at the connection or under the plastic, so a visual check may not find the problem.  I am having a similar problem with the battery cables in my older car.

                  Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 12:34 AM