consecutive communications failures

  • ronw72
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2012
      Thu Sep 06 01:06:53 2012 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
      Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
      Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.

      What can I do to trouble shoot this problem?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Ron
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2012
        Are you using a USB to serial adapter?

        How often does this error appear?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

        > Thu Sep 06 01:06:53 2012 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
        > Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
        > Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
        >
        > What can I do to trouble shoot this problem?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ron

      • ronw72
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2012
          Yes I am using a USB to serial adapter, Keyspan.

          The problem is intermittent. Sometimes I will go for days without having these errors, then I will have them daily for a few minutes. The past couple of days they started around 1:00 am and ran for a few minutes and stopped.

          Thanks for your help,

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2012
            If the frequency of errors is a problem I would try a different USB adapter. If it is a PC, adding a real serial port is the best option for around $15.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

            > Yes I am using a USB to serial adapter, Keyspan.
            >
            > The problem is intermittent. Sometimes I will go for days without having these errors, then I will have them daily for a few minutes. The past couple of days they started around 1:00 am and ran for a few minutes and stopped.
            >
            > Thanks for your help,
            >
            > Ron

            > > Are you using a USB to serial adapter?
            > >
            > > How often does this error appear?
            > >

            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Thu Sep 06 01:06:53 2012 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
            > > > Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
            > > > Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
            > > >
            > > > What can I do to trouble shoot this problem?
            > > >
            > > > Any help would be appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > >
            > > > Ron

          • ronw72
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2012
              I will try that.

              Thanks,

              Ron

              > If the frequency of errors is a problem I would try a different USB adapter. If it is a PC, adding a real serial port is the best option for around $15.
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes I am using a USB to serial adapter, Keyspan.
              > >
              > > The problem is intermittent. Sometimes I will go for days without having these errors, then I will have them daily for a few minutes. The past couple of days they started around 1:00 am and ran for a few minutes and stopped.
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help,
              > >
              > > Ron

              > > > Are you using a USB to serial adapter?
              > > >
              > > > How often does this error appear?

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2012
                I had the identical type of intermittent when I was running a 2317. I had an acceptable serial<>usb setup. I think challenging serial product misses the inherent design flaws in the 23xx series. Having gone from wireless to wired really didn't resolve what was thought a weakness in wireless transmission.

                All of the "cheap" manufactures are a bit to cheap in design and QC.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

                > Yes I am using a USB to serial adapter, Keyspan.
                >
                > The problem is intermittent. Sometimes I will go for days without having these errors, then I will have them daily for a few minutes. The past couple of days they started around 1:00 am and ran for a few minutes and stopped.
                >
                > Thanks for your help,
                >
                > Ron

                > > Are you using a USB to serial adapter?
                > >
                > > How often does this error appear?
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thu Sep 06 01:06:53 2012 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
                > > > Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
                > > > Thu Sep 06 01:07:03 2012 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
                > > >
                > > > What can I do to trouble shoot this problem?
                > > >
                > > > Any help would be appreciated.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Ron

              • KNHBRIST1
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2012
                  I know this does not help any, but I have had my WS-2310since March of 2003 and it still works great (knock on wood), I run it wired any wireless and have very few communication errors.
                  My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I have been on wireless for the past few days.
                  I have definitely gotten my moneys worth from the PWS.

                  Steve
                • ronw72
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                    Steve,

                    "My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I
                    have been on wireless for the past few days."

                    How do you determine the success rate?

                    Thanks,

                    Ron

                    > I know this does not help any, but I have had my WS-2310since March of 2003 and it still works great (knock on wood), I run it wired any wireless and have very few communication errors.
                    > My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I have been on wireless for the past few days.
                    > I have definitely gotten my moneys worth from the PWS.
                    >
                    > Steve

                  • KNHBRIST1
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                      Ron,
                      at the bottom left side of the main WUHU screen where it shows updates.
                      I divide the left number by the right number.
                      Years past my success rate was in the low 80's and it still functioned just fine. If it were not for those numbers I would not have know I has un-successful updates.
                      WUHU has been improved over the years and I now get mid 90's success rate.
                      If yo think about it if you have a thousand updates over time and miss
                      50 you have a 95% success rate, if you miss 100 you have 90%. That is really good. Even if you missed 200 I doubt it would really show up where you would see it in your data unless they were all consecutive.
                      So I tend not to worry if I get a few in a row.
                      Steve

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

                      > Steve,

                      > "My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I
                      > have been on wireless for the past few days."
                      >

                      > How do you determine the success rate?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Ron
                      >

                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I know this does not help any, but I have had my WS-2310since March of 2003 and it still works great (knock on wood), I run it wired any wireless and have very few communication errors.
                      > > My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I have been on wireless for the past few days.
                      > > I have definitely gotten my moneys worth from the PWS.
                      > >
                      > > Steve

                    • ronw72
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                        Thanks Steve,

                        I don't know how my numbers correspond to my station but with the numbers that show now it gives me a 98%

                        The numbers on the console are in the 25???k range and the numbers that come up when you hover over, the numbers for Weather Underground are in the range of 43???k

                        Ron

                        > Ron,
                        > at the bottom left side of the main WUHU screen where it shows updates.
                        > I divide the left number by the right number.
                        > Years past my success rate was in the low 80's and it still functioned just fine. If it were not for those numbers I would not have know I has un-successful updates.
                        > WUHU has been improved over the years and I now get mid 90's success rate.
                        > If yo think about it if you have a thousand updates over time and miss
                        > 50 you have a 95% success rate, if you miss 100 you have 90%. That is really good. Even if you missed 200 I doubt it would really show up where you would see it in your data unless they were all consecutive.
                        > So I tend not to worry if I get a few in a row.
                        > Steve
                        >

                        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Steve,

                        > > "My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I
                        > > have been on wireless for the past few days."
                        > >

                        > > How do you determine the success rate?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Ron
                        > >

                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I know this does not help any, but I have had my WS-2310since March of 2003 and it still works great (knock on wood), I run it wired any wireless and have very few communication errors.
                        > > > My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I have been on wireless for the past few days.
                        > > > I have definitely gotten my moneys worth from the PWS.
                        > > >
                        > > > Steve

                      • Ken
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                          I'm sitting with just under 26K and the two numbers are the same. I think my 2317 was similar in reliability to what you are reporting.

                          I had wondered if maintenance at WU might contribute to those weaker numbers. It'd often show up hourly in the early morning. Heath conjectured that it was the time attempt that might be giving the problem.

                          > Ron,
                          > at the bottom left side of the main WUHU screen where it shows updates.
                          > I divide the left number by the right number.
                          > Years past my success rate was in the low 80's and it still functioned just fine. If it were not for those numbers I would not have know I has un-successful updates.
                          > WUHU has been improved over the years and I now get mid 90's success rate.
                          > If yo think about it if you have a thousand updates over time and miss
                          > 50 you have a 95% success rate, if you miss 100 you have 90%. That is really good. Even if you missed 200 I doubt it would really show up where you would see it in your data unless they were all consecutive.
                          > So I tend not to worry if I get a few in a row.
                          > Steve
                          >

                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Steve,

                          > > "My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I
                          > > have been on wireless for the past few days."
                          > >

                          > > How do you determine the success rate?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >
                          > > Ron
                          > >

                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I know this does not help any, but I have had my WS-2310since March of 2003 and it still works great (knock on wood), I run it wired any wireless and have very few communication errors.
                          > > > My update success rate right now is 96% , which is where it usually runs and I have been on wireless for the past few days.
                          > > > I have definitely gotten my moneys worth from the PWS.
                          > > >
                          > > > Steve

                        • David Lipper
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                            I have been seeing periodic errors in the log, but chucked it up to Internet disruptions and server maintenance,
                            and decided to just accept them.

                            Today, I decided to check the ratio.
                            I've been running my instance for a few months, so the numbers are fairly high.
                            The main screen numbers show 99+%, so do setup/Wunderground and setup/CWOP (although CWOP in absolute terms has far fewer updates).

                            I am now pretty happy with my upload success rate.

                            On 2012-09-08 12:42, Ken wrote:

                            I'm sitting with just under 26K and the two numbers are the same. I think my 2317 was similar in reliability to what you are reporting.

                            I had wondered if maintenance at WU might contribute to those weaker numbers. It'd often show up hourly in the early morning. Heath conjectured that it was the time attempt that might be giving the problem.

                            > Ron,
                            > at the bottom left side of the main WUHU screen where it shows updates.
                            > I divide the left number by the right number.
                            > Years past my success rate was in the low 80's and it still functioned just fine. If it were not for those numbers I would not have know I has un-successful updates.
                            > WUHU has been improved over the years and I now get mid 90's success rate.
                            > If yo think about it if you have a thousand updates over time and miss
                            > 50 you have a 95% success rate, if you miss 100 you have 90%. That is really good. Even if you missed 200 I doubt it would really show up where you would see it in your data unless they were all consecutive.
                            > So I tend not to worry if I get a few in a row.
                            > Steve

                          • KNHBRIST1
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                              Yup,
                              That is what I meant, even with some console update errors, you still send nearly all your updates to WU, etc. I am close to 99% there.
                              Awekas not bad and CWOP 100%