Re: Just Purchased Davis VP2

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
      If you do not run your PC 24x7 and you want the station to send directory to the Internet then you would want to buy a Weatherlink. You might look around on eBay or the Weather Forum for a used one.

      If you want to connect to the PC and run software to post your data on the Internet you will need a logger or you can hack one together. See the following link for a discussion of hacking a cable:

      http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13574.0

      Beware that the cable from Davis is also the logger that retains your weather data in some type of NV memory when your PC is off. This can later be retrieved with software.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Aristotle Zoulas <jrzoulas@...> wrote:

      > Hello Just purchased this unit and I want to get everything online. The question I have is this: From what I can tell, I need to purchased Weatherlink IP from Davis at a cost of approx $225. This includes the serial to ethernet adapter and some software. From what I read the software is worthless or very close to that. So this means I am paying $225 for the cable which would make it the most expensive cable/adapter I ever purchased. Is there any other company that sells this cable? It cannot cost more than $5 to make. I know they make a USB version but I have no interest in that. Would love to hear what everyone else is doing regarding this issue. Also since the Davis software is not very good (from what I read) what is the best software out there to use with this station?
      >
      > Many thanks and looking forward to heraring from you,
      >
      > Aristotle , Warwick NY.

    • Aristotle Zoulas
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
        Appreciate thanks

        --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Aristotle Zoulas <jrzoulas@...> wrote:

        > Hello Just purchased this unit and I want to get everything online. The question I have is this: From what I can tell, I need to purchased Weatherlink IP from Davis at a cost of approx $225. This includes the serial to ethernet adapter and some software. From what I read the software is worthless or very close to that. So this means I am paying $225 for the cable which would make it the most expensive cable/adapter I ever purchased. Is there any other company that sells this cable? It cannot cost more than $5 to make. I know they make a USB version but I have no interest in that. Would love to hear what everyone else is doing regarding this issue. Also since the Davis software is not very good (from what I read) what is the best software out there to use with this station?
        >
        > Many thanks and looking forward to heraring from you,
        >
        > Aristotle , Warwick NY.

      • Don Keating
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
          Hi Aristotle;

          If you can send me a direct link to what Davis has that you need, I may be able to help you out. I got rid of my Davis station a couple years ago but still have the necessary hardware to upload from the station to my computer. It's doing me no good sitting at my mothers house now so I'd be willing to part with it, CHEAP! However I would need to know what exactly it is Davis requires. Thanks.

          Don in Ohio.

          If you do not run your PC 24x7 and you want the station to send directory to the Internet then you would want to buy a Weatherlink. You might look around on eBay or the Weather Forum for a used one.

          If you want to connect to the PC and run software to post your data on the Internet you will need a logger or you can hack one together. See the following link for a discussion of hacking a cable:

          http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13574.0

          Beware that the cable from Davis is also the logger that retains your weather data in some type of NV memory when your PC is off. This can later be retrieved with software.

          --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Aristotle Zoulas <jrzoulas@...> wrote:

          > Hello Just purchased this unit and I want to get everything online. The question I have is this: From what I can tell, I need to purchased Weatherlink IP from Davis at a cost of approx $225. This includes the serial to ethernet adapter and some software. From what I read the software is worthless or very close to that. So this means I am paying $225 for the cable which would make it the most expensive cable/adapter I ever purchased. Is there any other company that sells this cable? It cannot cost more than $5 to make. I know they make a USB version but I have no interest in that. Would love to hear what everyone else is doing regarding this issue. Also since the Davis software is not very good (from what I read) what is the best software out there to use with this station?
          >
          > Many thanks and looking forward to heraring from you,
          >
          > Aristotle , Warwick NY.

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
            Over on the weather forum I saw a fellow selling a device for something like $50 that provided the needed link to attach to the Davis console and a PC. You could then run WUHU as I understand things.