Humidity

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2006
      One interesting note;
      The low end of my console is 19%. I have a 3 year old ws-2310. However
      even when it constantly reads 19%, with my tweak of 1.20 the humidity
      does flucuate, not much but it does. I would have expected it to be at
      22.8 when my station was reading 19%.

      Steve
    • carlgenlnrt
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
        Does anybody know how to calibrate the humidity on a La Crosse 2317? I
        noticed this morning all surrounding stations showing 100% humidity and
        mine is 90%. Thanks.

        Carl
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
          I would suggest you use the coefficient/origin tweak on WUHU.
          I am currently using a coeff of 0.2580 and a origin of 76.4960
          as 76% is pretty much the most accurate reading of the hygro-sensor.
          There is no other way to physically tweak it, at least that I know of.
          I came up with these tweaks actually from my brother who is a mathematician and my data has been right on with MADIS models. I think it also helps if you aspirate the sensor. I did and I have no more "heating" problems. You can do that for about 4 bucks.
          Hwy9_weather

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
            Thanks Hwy9! Do mind explaining how you aspirated it for $4?

            Carl

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <akers305@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
              Beware that the older models of the console have a humidity range of 20-
              90% and can never produce the full range.

              If you never see readings above 90%, you probably have an older console.

              Even with the newer consoles (1-99%), a tweak may be needed.

              I have a full range (supposedly), and I use an origin of 60.0 with a
              tweak of 0.22. I produced this tweak through trial and error watching
              the CWOP analysis and nearby stations.

              Note that this tweak may only apply to my station. The variability
              between individual sensors is unknown.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "carlgenlnrt"

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
                I have an older 2310 and it has a low of 19% and a high of 96%. I
                have had good sucess in the summer by adding a small muffin fan to my
                site to aspirate it. I do not use any tweaks for the humidity in the
                summer. I do use various tweaks as the winter air dries out. I was not
                able to find one tweak that would work with my unit during all
                conditions last Winter. Very frustrating !!!
                My particular unit tends to read extremely low during dry conditions.
                I sometimes get desert readings while actually living in the NE. The
                WUHU tweaks are really nice as there is no way to actually tweak the
                data from the console.

                Steve
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
                  I used a 17" x 4" piece of PVC..used a 2 3/8" fan at the "top" end of the tube. Placed my hygro-sensor midway in the tube..thus pulling the air across the sensor. the fan came from http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=16496+FN
                  I power the fan using a wal wart  plugged into an extension cord. I have not had any solar heating issues since, and in SC we have some pretty hot days that without it, I would have had readings well into the 100's.
                  IF you go to www.flickr.com and look under the tag for CWOP then look for some of my photos CWOP6106, you will see the construction I use.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Hwy9_weather