RE: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Yet another bug in WS3600 Heavy Weather?

  • stevech
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
      I believe that it's a fact that LaCrosse obtains their products from a
      particular company in China, and that company sells to other than LaCrosse
      for certain countries. So it may be that LaCrosse is an importer/retailer
      and has little say-so in the product design and feature set.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
        I think the issue is that there is no gust information at all in the
        current.1st file - just the wind value in all units.

        My history.dat file is updated every 15 minutes although it is
        communicating with the sender every 30 seconds or so. The
        History.dat file has the correct information and pretty accurate
        gust information.

        Considering the issues with current.1st, WUHU would be better off
        trolling the history.dat file for information to up-load!

        How does one contact them?

        Cheers

        David

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18, 2005
          David,

          I am not certain, but I believe the history.dat is written at a
          minimum of 5 minute intervals.

          If the Heavyweather application were to write currdat.lst every time
          the data is read from the console, this should correct the wind
          speed/gust issue.

          Ideally, if I could support the 36xx protocol, I would talk to the
          units directly. I believe the 23xx protocol understood well enough to
          implement it for practical purposes.

          They might not be the exclusive distributor, but maybe they can
          motivate the supplier to correct the problems.

          I believe the contact for Lacrosse is at:

          http://www.lacrossetechnology.info/contact.html

          <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
> [...]
          > motivation
          > > to correct the problems (especially since they are very minor
          > software
          > > tweaks).
          > >
          > > I suspect that they do not update the software very often. Maybe
          > if
          > > everyone in this forum were to write them an email requesting
          > changes
          > > they might take notice.
          > >
          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
          > > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
          > > > Current.1st doesn't hold any Wind Gust information even though
          > it is
          > > > stored and displayed in history.dat. I thought it strange when
          > my
          > > > unit was displaying gusts of 42kph and was only getting 9kph
          > > displayed
          > > > on weatherunderground while stations around me are reporting 40-

        • David Higgins
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2005
            It wouldn't matter how often they write the data to current.1st The
            problem is that they are NOT writing gust information to it.

            Cheers

            David Higgins
            Canberra, Australia
            http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
              David,

              I am guessing that the unit is measuring current wind speed in a
              given time interval. It may or not be capturing the gust speed and
              reporting that value when the data is received by Heavyweather. The
              documentation makes no reference to gust wind speed.

              What I do know is that when in wired mode, the unit is reporting to
              Heavyweather approximately ever 9 seconds. Heavyweather is reading
              and probably storing this data. They are probably then determining
              gust speed as the highest wind speed over the past 5 minutes (minimum
              recording interval for history.dat).

              When we look at the current.lst file, Heavyweather is only updating
              this file 1/6 of the time (since it is updating the file only once
              per minute). I believe that what it is writing to the current.lst
              file is the last update received from the unit (before the 1 minute
              time period has expired).

              Therefore Heavyweather is processing 100% of the data received from
              the unit and currdat.lst is receiving about 16% of the data.

              Ideally Heavyweather would update currdat.lst with 100% of the data,
              then we can determine gust speed from the readings. This would be a
              quick and easy change to the software (I requested this change back
              in April 2005).

              The current.lst file would be preferable over the history.dat file in
              that the data is in plain text form for other applications to access
              (Heavyweather publisher uses this method). The history.dat file on
              the other hand is encoded in binary data. The format of the
              history.dat file is dependent upon the model being used.

              I will take a look at the file formats to see if they can be decoded
              properly. I should be able to support both.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                Are we talking WS2300 or WS3600 here? The doco for the WS3600
                specifically states that it reports wind gust information. Wind
                Gust *is* displayed in the unit display so I don't believe it is
                some special function in heavyweather.

                Observation of the 2 values displayed in the unit (Wind speed and
                Gust) shows that heavy weather is NOT doing what you suggest.

                Cheers

                David

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
                  David,

                  I was refering to the WS2300 series. I was not aware that the WS3600
                  maintained gust informaiton.

                  Do we know if the gust information is stored in the currdat.lst file?

                  Is it stored in the histor.dat file?

                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
                    David,

                    I found the info for decoding the history.dat file.

                    You are right, the 3600 does record wind gust whereas the 2300 does
                    not.

                    HeavyWeather History File Format
                    --------------------------------

                    Last Updated 2005/7/8
                    Compiled by Ben Udall

                    By default, weather history is stored in the history.dat file in the
                    HeavyWeather folder. HeavyWeather and HeavyWeatherPro use two
                    different
                    formats, both of which are presented below. Initial format
                    information
                    for HeavyWeatherPro was taken from Cyril Cavadore's program
                    (http://www.astrosurf.com/cavadore/meteo/stations_meteo/lacrosse/)

                    *******************

                    HeavyWeather V2.0 beta
                    La Crosse WS-2310 and WS-2315 weather stations

                    Each row of data is stored in 36 byte chunks starting from the
                    beginning of
                    the file (no header).

                    Row
                    Offset Type Name Unit
                    ------ --------- ---------------- -----
                    00 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 1)
                    04 ULong [4] Timestamp seconds from 1/1/1900 00:00:00
                    (GMT)
                    08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                    12 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
                    16 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
                    20 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
                    24 Float [4] Indoor Temp Celsius
                    28 Float [4] Outdoor Temp Celsius
                    32 UWord [2] Indoor Humidity %
                    34 UWord [2] Outdoor Humidity %

                    At the end of the file is an additional 28 bytes providing
                    information about
                    the dataset as a whole.

                    Offset Type Description
                    ------ --------- ----------------
                    00 ULong [4] unknown
                    04 Ulong [4] unknown (0)
                    08 Float [4] unknown (5.698)
                    12 ULong [4] unknown (0)
                    16 ULong [4] Number of rows
                    20 ULong [4] Timestamp of the first row of data
                    24 ULong [4] Timestamp of the last row of data

                    *******************

                    HeavyWeatherPro V1.1
                    La Crosse WS-3610 weather station

                    Each row of data is stored in 56 byte chunks starting from the
                    beginning of
                    the file (no header).

                    ROW
                    OFFSET Type Name Unit
                    ------ --------- ---------------- -----
                    00 Double [8] Timestamp days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00
                    (GMT)
                    08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                    12 Float [4] Relative Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                    16 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
                    20 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
                    24 Float [4] Wind Gust meters/second
                    28 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
                    32 Float [4] New Rainfall millimeters
                    36 Float [4] Indoor Temp celsius
                    40 Float [4] Outdoor Temp celsius
                    44 Float [4] Indoor Humidity %
                    48 Float [4] Outdoor Humidity %
                    52 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 0)

                    Since the timestamp is a double, the fractional part represents
                    fractions of
                    a day. This is probably the same type as the Delphi TdateTime type.
                    More
                    information about this type can be found here:
                    http://www.aimtec.com.au/articles/ItsAboutTime/Default.htm

                    *******************

                    Wind Direction

                    Wind direction is encoded as an integer between 0 and 15. To get the
                    wind direction in degrees, multiply the value by 22.5. To get compass
                    directions (moving clockwise) 0 is North, 1 is North-Northeast, 2 is
                    Northeast, etc...
                    0 N
                    1 NNE
                    2 NE