Win 7 and Davis VP2 USB

  • phil_in_ca
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2012
      Hi all,

      Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I just couldn't find anything in the search tool... If there is a thread already covering getting a VP2 USB and WUHU running, just point me there and accept my apology in advance.

      I just converted my XP Pro machine to Win7 on a Solid State Drive and even though Win7 installed "CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7" as a driver for the VP2 plugged into the back, it doesn't work... I found these files in C:\Silabs\MCU\CP210x\Windows_XP_S2K3_Vista_7\:

      silabenm.sys AND silabser.sys

      I installed Weatherlink to no avail.

      Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

      Phil
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 11, 2012
        Well, it has been beaten to death but in many incantations so you are forgiven. :)

        Recommended by the author is the IOBit serial<>USB device. The various dongles have been an ongoing problem. These units are a bag of worms for many apps.

        That said I saw the following on the Silicon Labs website:

        <i>Download for Windows XP/Server 2003/Vista/7 (v6.5.3)

        The CP210x Manufacturing DLL and Runtime DLL have been updated and must be used with v6.0 and later of the CP210x Windows VCP Driver. Application Note Software downloads affected are AN144SW.zip, AN205SW.zip and AN223SW.zip. If you are using a 5.x driver and need support you can download archived Application Note Software. </i>
      • Don Lafferty

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 11, 2012
            I finally got WUHU communicating with the VP2. Thanks for the input.

            I do have another rather weird problem, however... WUHU isn't able to
            write it's config file on exit, so when I restart, it comes up "stupid"
            regarding setup.

            As before, any suggestions gratefully accepted.

            Phil
            CW2610
            KCACOALI3
            Coalinga, CA
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 12, 2012
              That would sound like a permissions issue. Check the time/date on the last modified column to see if it was ever updated after install.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Potter <p.potter@...> wrote:

              > I finally got WUHU communicating with the VP2. Thanks for the input.
              >
              > I do have another rather weird problem, however... WUHU isn't able to
              > write it's config file on exit, so when I restart, it comes up "stupid"
              > regarding setup.
              >
              > As before, any suggestions gratefully accepted.
              >
              > Phil
              > CW2610
              > KCACOALI3
              > Coalinga, CA

            • marcelcanine
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 12, 2012
                My guess is that win 7 in all of it's smartness is writing the file to a different folder and WUHU is not finding it. Search for the file being somewhere else. Have no clue how to fix it.

                > That would sound like a permissions issue. Check the time/date on the last modified column to see if it was ever updated after install.
                >

                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Potter <p.potter@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I finally got WUHU communicating with the VP2. Thanks for the input.
                > >
                > > I do have another rather weird problem, however... WUHU isn't able to
                > > write it's config file on exit, so when I restart, it comes up "stupid"
                > > regarding setup.
                > >
                > > As before, any suggestions gratefully accepted.
                > >
                > > Phil
                > > CW2610
                > > KCACOALI3
                > > Coalinga, CA

              • RicardoC
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 13, 2012
                  Hi.

                  Try to run as admin. Right click on top of the executable and choose it.

                  Or right click on properties and in compatibility tab (i think that's the one) at the bottom, click the option. You can also try to run in xp mode...

                  Ricardo

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "marcelcanine" <marcelcanine@...> wrote:

                  > My guess is that win 7 in all of it's smartness is writing the file to a different folder and WUHU is not finding it. Search for the file being somewhere else. Have no clue how to fix it.

                  > > That would sound like a permissions issue. Check the time/date on the last modified column to see if it was ever updated after install.
                  > >

                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Potter <p.potter@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I finally got WUHU communicating with the VP2. Thanks for the input.
                  > > >
                  > > > I do have another rather weird problem, however... WUHU isn't able to
                  > > > write it's config file on exit, so when I restart, it comes up "stupid"
                  > > > regarding setup.
                  > > >
                  > > > As before, any suggestions gratefully accepted.
                  > > >
                  > > > Phil
                  > > > CW2610
                  > > > KCACOALI3
                  > > > Coalinga, CA

                • phil_in_ca
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 14, 2012
                    Thanks to all who helped me! I finally got a good install of WUHU running and all is good...

                    Phil
                    CW2610
                    KCACOALI3
                  • Don Keating
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 14, 2012
                      Hi Group;

                      Who created WUHU? Is there a place we can make a donation towards this fine program? Thank you.

                      Don in Ohio

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 15, 2012
                        Don,

                        I am the author of the program. I do have a pay pal account but have not investigate how to accept donations via the Web.

                        Thanks.

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Keating <eobic@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Group;
                        >
                        > Who created WUHU? Is there a place we can make a donation towards this fine program? Thank you.
                        >
                        > Don in Ohio
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Mike Derryberry
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 15, 2012
                          On 8/15/2012 2:39 AM, wuhu_software wrote:
                          > Don,
                          >
                          > I am the author of the program. I do have a pay pal account but have not investigate how to accept donations via the Web.
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >

                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Keating <eobic@...> wrote:
                          >> Hi Group;
                          >>
                          >> Who created WUHU? Is there a place we can make a donation towards this fine program? Thank you.
                          >>
                          >> Don in Ohio

                          If you ever decide to take donations for your work, let us know. I'd
                          donate in a heartbeat. You have put together a great program and work
                          with everyone so well at working out the bugs they find!

                          Mike

                          --
                          miked911@...
                          Mike Derryberry

                          Dispatcher II
                          Kern County Sheriff's Department
                          Bakersfield, CA

                          Listen to my department:
                          http://nyc05.egihosting.com:3074/listen.pls

                          Listen to Kern County Scanning:
                          http://nyc05.egihosting.com:3070/listen.pls

                          Listen to Central California Fire Scanning
                          http://nyc05.egihosting.com:3072/listen.pls
                        • Chris Mattingly
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 15, 2012
                            Don, there's a pretty easy setup to follow on Paypal's site for setting up a donate button.  Check out
                            https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_web-tools

                            As long as donations remain under $10,000 you don't have to worry about being a verified non-profit. :)

                            Let me know if you need any help with it!

                            -Chris

                            On 8/15/2012 10:41 PM, Mike Derryberry wrote:

                            On 8/15/2012 2:39 AM, wuhu_software wrote:
                            > Don,
                            >
                            > I am the author of the program. I do have a pay pal account but have not investigate how to accept donations via the Web.
                            >
                            > Thanks.
                            >

                            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Keating <eobic@...> wrote:
                            >> Hi Group;
                            >>
                            >> Who created WUHU? Is there a place we can make a donation towards this fine program? Thank you.
                            >>
                            >> Don in Ohio

                            If you ever decide to take donations for your work, let us know. I'd
                            donate in a heartbeat. You have put together a great program and work
                            with everyone so well at working out the bugs they find!

                            Mike

                            --
                            miked911@...
                            Mike Derryberry

                            Dispatcher II
                            Kern County Sheriff's Department
                            Bakersfield, CA

                            Listen to my department:
                            http://nyc05.egihosting.com:3074/listen.pls

                            Listen to Kern County Scanning:
                            http://nyc05.egihosting.com:3070/listen.pls

                            Listen to Central California Fire Scanning
                            http://nyc05.egihosting.com:3072/listen.pls

                          • GW
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 16, 2012
                              I've tried to get him to do this for a couple of years now. If there ever is a donate button on this (or some other) page, I'll be sure to click it! I have three stations on one computer using this software and I couldn't be happier! :)