OpenWeather

  • Bob Tyszka
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2012
      http://apb.directionsmag.com/entry/weather-and-other-crowdsourced-gis-news/268285

          I was reading this newsletter today and decided to look into the article on OPENWEATHER.  When I clicked on the link it opened to a map of the local area.  I saw a "wi-fi" symbol over California City so I clicked on it.  Turns out my wx data was appearing on the site already, I guess I won't have to sign up.  And I thought I was going to share some exciting new opportunity with all you fine folks, but you are probably already on it also.

          Have a great weekend.

      --

      Bob Tyszka
      California City, CA

      Click
for California City, California Forecast

    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
        If anyone wants to sign up and post stuff to openweathermap.org

        In a nutshell have WUHU run curl.
        eg:

        curl -d 'temp=20&humidity=&lat=49.11&long=24.11&alt=200' --user 'username:pass' http://openweathermap.org/data/post

        They are expecting:
        • wind_dir - wind direction, grad
        • wind_speed - wind speed, mps
        • temp - temperature, grad C
        • humidity - relative humidity, %
        • pressure - atmosphere pressure
        • wind_gust - speed of wind gust, mps
        • rain_1h - rain in recent hour, mm
        • rain_24h - rain in recent 24 hours, mm
        • rain_today - rain today, mm
        • snow - snow in recent 24 hours, mm
        • lum - illumination, W/M²
        • lat - latitude
        • long - longitude
        • alt - altitude, m
        • radiation - radiation
        • dewpoint - dewpoint
        • uv - UV index
        http://openweathermap.org/wiki/API/data_upload

        Download curl here for windows:
        http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
        It is under the Win32 section

        Add this to your action file, update the lat, long, alt, and --user settings below to your values.
        Note this is all on one line:

        curl -d 'lat=your lat&long=your long&alt=your alt&wind_dir=%[wind_direction]deg%&wind_speed=%[wind_speed]mps%&temp=%[outdoor_temperature]deg_C%
        &humidity=%[outdoor_humidity]percent%&pressure=%[pressure_relative]hpa%&windgust=%[wind_gust]mps%
        &rain_1h=%[rain_1h]mm%&rain_24h=%[rain_24h]mm%&rain_today=%[rain_24h]mm%&dewpoint=%[dewpoint]deg_C%' --user 'username:pass' http://openweathermap.org/data/post

        Only values not supported are radiation and uv.

        I guessed that they want pressure as hpa, and dewpoint at C

        -John

        On 8/2/2012 8:36 PM, Bob Tyszka wrote:
        http://apb.directionsmag.com/entry/weather-and-other-crowdsourced-gis-news/268285

            I was reading this newsletter today and decided to look into the article on OPENWEATHER.  When I clicked on the link it opened to a map of the local area.  I saw a "wi-fi" symbol over California City so I clicked on it.  Turns out my wx data was appearing on the site already, I guess I won't have to sign up.  And I thought I was going to share some exciting new opportunity with all you fine folks, but you are probably already on it also.

            Have a great weekend.

        --

        Bob Tyszka
        California City, CA
        CW9012 / KCACALIF5

        Click for California City, California Forecast

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
          Took a look at the site. Very Euro with the C and M stuff. I don't care what the rest of the world does. Here it is still F. miles, and InHg. I don't need some activist telling me I should learn C etc. These guys can guess which finger I am showing.
        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
            I tend to agree Ken,
            I was surprised they didn't have any format conversions for US
            measurements... I *would have* considered it on my site.

            : /

            On 8/3/2012 11:00 AM, Ken wrote:
            > Took a look at the site. Very Euro with the C and M stuff. I don't care what the rest of the world does. Here it is still F. miles, and InHg. I don't need some activist telling me I should learn C etc. These guys can guess which finger I am showing.

            > WUHU Download page:

          • Larry Myers
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
              Has anyone checked the API, it may be a setting that can be flipped on our sites. I saw it and liked it, but have not had the time to look at that yet. I also want to see F!

              Later,
              Larry

              On 8/3/2012 11:00 AM, Ken wrote:
              > Took a look at the site. Very Euro with the C and M stuff. I don't care what the rest of the world does. Here it is still F. miles, and InHg. I don't need some activist telling me I should learn C etc. These guys can guess which finger I am showing.

              > WUHU Download page:

            • Sander Pool
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
                Hi,

                I report to Weather Underground and APRS using wuhu but it's not showing
                up on OpenWeather. The API is easy enough and I didn't see that they
                mine other sources but maybe they do.

                I suppose with weather underground no longer being underground
                OpenWeather sees, well, an opening.

                Sander W1SOP
              • John Celenza
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
                  Ok, I have to jump in :-)  too tempted.

                  Weather Services in Europe aren't very open. Over there, it's very much different than our NWS and NOAA which provide tons of free data including weather station conditions.

                  So, this service is great for getting data out there.

                  Of course, working at Wunderground, I don't feel like our data has moved from underground to above ground :-) We allow free access to the uploaded data via API calls (just check out the right bar of your weather station history page).  Plus, we have a growing number of perks for weather station contributors such as making custom forecast for the stations and providing archiving services for the entire history of your station.

                  I wouldn't worry about the units, for the OpenWeather folks, I'm sure it's an easy fix/addition. The service looks cool. It of course got me thinking "we have to provide even more services to our PWS contributors!"

                  -John

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
                    They are pulling CWOP data somehow as my CW3313 station is showing up there.

                    This is interesting because CWOP does not allow pulling their data without permission. Perhaps they have a deal of some kind.

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander_pool@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I report to Weather Underground and APRS using wuhu but it's not showing
                    > up on OpenWeather. The API is easy enough and I didn't see that they
                    > mine other sources but maybe they do.
                    >
                    > I suppose with weather underground no longer being underground
                    > OpenWeather sees, well, an opening.
                    >
                    > Sander W1SOP

                  • John Liss
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
                      They must be turning blocks on.
                      Mine doesn't show up, and I post to CWOP.

                      Interesting...

                      On 8/3/2012 3:09 PM, wuhu_software wrote:
                      > They are pulling CWOP data somehow as my CW3313 station is showing up there.
                      >
                      > This is interesting because CWOP does not allow pulling their data without permission. Perhaps they have a deal of some kind.
                      >

                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander_pool@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Hi,
                      >>
                      >> I report to Weather Underground and APRS using wuhu but it's not showing
                      >> up on OpenWeather. The API is easy enough and I didn't see that they
                      >> mine other sources but maybe they do.
                      >>
                      >> I suppose with weather underground no longer being underground
                      >> OpenWeather sees, well, an opening.
                      >>
                      >> Sander W1SOP

                      > WUHU Download page:

                    • Don Lafferty
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3, 2012
                        Yes it's got my CWOP too.

                        I looked at it and also didn't care for not being able to choose C or F.  I also noticed one of the main streets in the San Fernando valley that I live near doesn't show as going all the way from the 101 to the 118 which it does.  I tend to lose all hope for a site that doesn't even bother to get accurate maps.

                        If you are interested it's Winnetka and it's a fairly main street in the valley.

                        Don

                        On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                        They must be turning blocks on.
                        Mine doesn't show up, and I post to CWOP.

                        Interesting...

                        On 8/3/2012 3:09 PM, wuhu_software wrote:
                        > They are pulling CWOP data somehow as my CW3313 station is showing up there.
                        >
                        > This is interesting because CWOP does not allow pulling their data without permission. Perhaps they have a deal of some kind.
                        >

                        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander_pool@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Hi,
                        >>
                        >> I report to Weather Underground and APRS using wuhu but it's not showing
                        >> up on OpenWeather. The API is easy enough and I didn't see that they
                        >> mine other sources but maybe they do.
                        >>
                        >> I suppose with weather underground no longer being underground
                        >> OpenWeather sees, well, an opening.
                        >>
                        >> Sander W1SOP

                        > WUHU Download page:

                      • marcelcanine
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 4, 2012
                          Well as it appears to be a Russian site they probably don't really care too much about USA stations.

                          They appear to only be pulling CWOP stations that are close to towns or cities on that show data. Stations in the middle of no where are not shown.

                          The map is for sure at leaast 10 years out of date. The airfields that it shows are really funny. Some of them have not existed for at least 30 years. I own the land that one is shown as an interntaional airport. The last time that might have been an international airport was WWII when it was a training base for female ferry piolots. The DEA plowed it under 30 years ago there are houses where most of the runways were.

                          > Yes it's got my CWOP too.
                          >
                          > I looked at it and also didn't care for not being able to choose C or F. I
                          > also noticed one of the main streets in the San Fernando valley that I live
                          > near doesn't show as going all the way from the 101 to the 118 which it
                          > does. I tend to lose all hope for a site that doesn't even bother to get
                          > accurate maps.
                          >
                          > If you are interested it's Winnetka and it's a fairly main street in the
                          > valley.
                          >
                          > Don
                          >
                          > On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM, John Liss <john@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > They must be turning blocks on.
                          > > Mine doesn't show up, and I post to CWOP.
                          > >
                          > > Interesting...
                          > >

                          > > On 8/3/2012 3:09 PM, wuhu_software wrote:
                          > > > They are pulling CWOP data somehow as my CW3313 station is showing up
                          > > there.
                          > > >
                          > > > This is interesting because CWOP does not allow pulling their data
                          > > without permission. Perhaps they have a deal of some kind.
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander_pool@>

                          > > > WUHU Download page:
                          > > >

                          > --
                          > making something that doesn't suck.

                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 4, 2012
                            Interesting. For my area it shows a location on the toll road. WU doesn't have this data showing for my area. But, if you click on Portage, IN you get my station (KINPORTA54) on WU. The site is maintained by the toll road and there isn't a feed from it to other site that I could find. With the toll road redirecting to my site for added data, it doesn't appear it is setup to have its data disseminated. They certainly don't hide the data but it isn't a standard source and it would seem they like it that way.

                            https://www.getizoom.com/weather/weather001.htm

                            P.S. The toll road was leased to a foreign holding company for big bucks and it is not state controlled.