Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Off topic, simple machine forum

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
      Notice he said "contact me off list".  I've quite sure he got contacted.  ;)

      Don

      On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:

      With nobody answering, I thought I'd at least try to provide something. It is an option that is available in my server account. I use it for my blog and not a forum. There are a number of free forum software choices and there are "simple scripts" that automate their setup. On most server accounts using c-panel. That's pretty standard offering. I am paying $4.95/mo for that which is quite reasonable. I have two domains in the account.

      I've used simple machine on a board I sometimes frequent. I wouldn't say it is a favorite. Isn't bad though. I prefer the phpbb setup but am use to that as it was the forum used by a past employer. From what I see it is a very popular choice.

      Here's the forum software available on my server and copied from the simple script install service:
      vBulletin Forums (This looks like an added cost)
      vBulletin Forums
      Try a free demo of vBulletin
      Install Simple Machines Forum
      Simple Machines Forum
      2.0.2
      Install phpBB
      phpBB
      3.0.10
      Install bbPress
      bbPress
      1.1
      Install PunBB
      PunBB
      1.4.2
      Install Vanilla Forums
      Vanilla Forums
      2.0.18.4 New!

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
        My question was more about how to secure the Apache server and the forum files so that I am not hacked. I am running the forum on a PC that is up 24x7.

        > Notice he said "contact me off list". I've quite sure he got contacted. ;)
        >
        > Don
        >
        > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > With nobody answering, I thought I'd at least try to provide something. It
        > > is an option that is available in my server account. I use it for my blog
        > > and not a forum. There are a number of free forum software choices and
        > > there are "simple scripts" that automate their setup. On most server
        > > accounts using c-panel. That's pretty standard offering. I am paying
        > > $4.95/mo for that which is quite reasonable. I have two domains in the
        > > account.
        > >
        > > I've used simple machine on a board I sometimes frequent. I wouldn't say
        > > it is a favorite. Isn't bad though. I prefer the phpbb setup but am use to
        > > that as it was the forum used by a past employer. From what I see it is a
        > > very popular choice.
        > >
        > > Here's the forum software available on my server and copied from the
        > > simple script install service:
        > > vBulletin Forums (This looks like an added cost)
        > > vBulletin Forums
        > > Try a free demo of vBulletin
        > > Install Simple Machines Forum
        > > Simple Machines Forum
        > > 2.0.2
        > > Install phpBB
        > > phpBB
        > > 3.0.10
        > > Install bbPress
        > > bbPress
        > > 1.1
        > > Install PunBB
        > > PunBB
        > > 1.4.2
        > > Install Vanilla Forums
        > > Vanilla Forums
        > > 2.0.18.4 New!

        > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Does anyone have experience setting up a Simple Machine Forum?
        > > >
        > > > If so, please contact me off the list wuhu_software at yahoo.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks.
        > > >

        > --
        > making something that doesn't suck.

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
          My bad.

          P.S. You camp here? :)
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 20, 2012
            Camp here? In Michigan?

            > My bad.
            >
            > P.S. You camp here? :)

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
              Not for a lot of years. The remark was because he replied in just 1 minute.

              One of my favorite free sites though was Bowman's Bridge just east of Baldwin on the Pere Marquette. It is very shaded and right on the river. You can camp within feet of the water. The negative is that it is a canoe takeout point. Gets really quiet after Labor Day though. Was a primitive site then.

              Lot of decent primitive sites across the national forest. I remember one up on a bluff overlooking the Black River. The Black has rated rapids as I recall.

              > Camp here? In Michigan?
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My bad.
              > >
              > > P.S. You camp here? :)

            • Don Lafferty
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                I see.  I use Gmail Google Desktop which pops up a notice when an email arrives with the first part of the message.  I saw your reply and thought I should let you know.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                  Ken,

                  I looked up Bowman's Bridge, that is just West of Baldwin correct??

                  Can you tell me which Black River you are referring to?

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_River_(Michigan)

                  > Not for a lot of years. The remark was because he replied in just 1 minute.
                  >
                  > One of my favorite free sites though was Bowman's Bridge just east of Baldwin on the Pere Marquette. It is very shaded and right on the river. You can camp within feet of the water. The negative is that it is a canoe takeout point. Gets really quiet after Labor Day though. Was a primitive site then.
                  >
                  > Lot of decent primitive sites across the national forest. I remember one up on a bluff overlooking the Black River. The Black has rated rapids as I recall.

                  > > Camp here? In Michigan?
                  > >
                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > My bad.
                  > > >
                  > > > P.S. You camp here? :)

                • Don Keating
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                    Here is what I received from LaCrosse on the 18th...

                    "
                    With regard to the following from your email: "is there an update available or possibly come up with one that catches that maximum wind GUST and sends it out there for all to see?"

                    There is no update that will have a wind gust reporting function. Your suggestion has been noted for future possible consideration."

                    I intend to drop them another e-mail letting them know not only I but many of their station owners would like to see this update. This may also lose business for them in the future. As of this point in time I will not a) purchase another of their stations or b) recomend / suggest a LaCrosse station to anyone thinking of buying a home weather station. FWIW.

                    Don in Ohio.
                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                      Yes, west. I found this: http://www.getoffthecouch.info/lake/bowmanbridge.htm
                      Looks like it change a lot since I was there. I was able to camp within feet of the river. Tornado took out a bunch of trees later I see. It was just a pull off at the bridge where you could camp in my day. There were no defined sites.

                      The Black (I think that was the name.) was the next rated trout stream north. As I recall it had the only class 3 rapids in the LP. The PM only has one (Rainbow Rapis) class 1. That's down river from Bowman's a bit. I fished that stretch just a few times. The river broadens a bit below Bowman's.

                      Have you checked with the U.S. Forest Service? They used to have a nice map that listed all the campsite in the national forest.

                      I started going to the area in the 50's. A buddy of mine had a grandfather that was a member of a trout club where we'd stay for a week each summer. Fishing was slow then so the other members didn't mind our going. I started going there later on and haven't been in 15 years so the memories are rusty.

                      If you drive through Baldwin, stop at the ice cream place on the east side of the main drag. It was at the south end of the business block years ago. Great home-made ice cream with an old fashion soda fountain.

                      > Ken,
                      >
                      > I looked up Bowman's Bridge, that is just West of Baldwin correct??
                      >
                      > Can you tell me which Black River you are referring to?
                      >
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_River_(Michigan)
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >

                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Not for a lot of years. The remark was because he replied in just 1 minute.
                      > >
                      > > One of my favorite free sites though was Bowman's Bridge just east of Baldwin on the Pere Marquette. It is very shaded and right on the river. You can camp within feet of the water. The negative is that it is a canoe takeout point. Gets really quiet after Labor Day though. Was a primitive site then.
                      > >
                      > > Lot of decent primitive sites across the national forest. I remember one up on a bluff overlooking the Black River. The Black has rated rapids as I recall.

                      > > > Camp here? In Michigan?

                    • Ken
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                        Don, I had a LaCrosse (2317) and even with direct wire it was unreliable. I gave it away and tried an Oregon and it was a horror story of its own. So, I went to this 2810 and it is about as good as the low end stations are. These manufacturers are more cost conscious than they should be and reliability is always an issue.

                        I'd consider Davis if it didn't cost so much to get the proprietary interface. Nice software they also want to sell but pricy. With the proprietary interface and the rest, I won't consider on. But, if you want fewer headaches.

                        My 2810 isn't filling the log with errors. But, the wind gauge is anemic and inaccurate. It something you have to learn to live with in the price range. I have contacted them over it but hopes aren't high. Support from low margin product is mostly lip service and excuses.

                        I wouldn't recommend them either. But, I also have to say they aren't any worse than the rest of a bad lot. I almost went with the Ambient in the price range but review of that were similar to what are typical complaints.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                          Thanks for the travel tips. Will check out the area the next time I am in that neck of the woods. A friend recently bought some land about 15-20 miles from there.

                          > Yes, west. I found this: http://www.getoffthecouch.info/lake/bowmanbridge.htm
                          > Looks like it change a lot since I was there. I was able to camp within feet of the river. Tornado took out a bunch of trees later I see. It was just a pull off at the bridge where you could camp in my day. There were no defined sites.
                          >
                          > The Black (I think that was the name.) was the next rated trout stream north. As I recall it had the only class 3 rapids in the LP. The PM only has one (Rainbow Rapis) class 1. That's down river from Bowman's a bit. I fished that stretch just a few times. The river broadens a bit below Bowman's.
                          >
                          > Have you checked with the U.S. Forest Service? They used to have a nice map that listed all the campsite in the national forest.
                          >
                          > I started going to the area in the 50's. A buddy of mine had a grandfather that was a member of a trout club where we'd stay for a week each summer. Fishing was slow then so the other members didn't mind our going. I started going there later on and haven't been in 15 years so the memories are rusty.
                          >

                          > If you drive through Baldwin, stop at the ice cream place on the east side of the main drag. It was at the south end of the business block years ago. Great home-made ice cream with an old fashion soda fountain.

                          > > Ken,
                          > >
                          > > I looked up Bowman's Bridge, that is just West of Baldwin correct??
                          > >
                          > > Can you tell me which Black River you are referring to?
                          > >
                          > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_River_(Michigan)
                          > >
                          > > Thanks.
                          > >

                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Not for a lot of years. The remark was because he replied in just 1 minute.
                          > > >
                          > > > One of my favorite free sites though was Bowman's Bridge just east of Baldwin on the Pere Marquette. It is very shaded and right on the river. You can camp within feet of the water. The negative is that it is a canoe takeout point. Gets really quiet after Labor Day though. Was a primitive site then.
                          > > >
                          > > > Lot of decent primitive sites across the national forest. I remember one up on a bluff overlooking the Black River. The Black has rated rapids as I recall.

                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                            I said Black River and meant Pine River. I used to fish the Black in the UP and got them mixed up. Sorry.
                            http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5172185.pdf

                            > Yes, west. I found this: http://www.getoffthecouch.info/lake/bowmanbridge.htm
                            > Looks like it change a lot since I was there. I was able to camp within feet of the river. Tornado took out a bunch of trees later I see. It was just a pull off at the bridge where you could camp in my day. There were no defined sites.
                            >
                            > The Black (I think that was the name.) was the next rated trout stream north. As I recall it had the only class 3 rapids in the LP. The PM only has one (Rainbow Rapis) class 1. That's down river from Bowman's a bit. I fished that stretch just a few times. The river broadens a bit below Bowman's.
                            >
                            > Have you checked with the U.S. Forest Service? They used to have a nice map that listed all the campsite in the national forest.
                            >
                            > I started going to the area in the 50's. A buddy of mine had a grandfather that was a member of a trout club where we'd stay for a week each summer. Fishing was slow then so the other members didn't mind our going. I started going there later on and haven't been in 15 years so the memories are rusty.
                            >

                            > If you drive through Baldwin, stop at the ice cream place on the east side of the main drag. It was at the south end of the business block years ago. Great home-made ice cream with an old fashion soda fountain.

                            > > Ken,
                            > >
                            > > I looked up Bowman's Bridge, that is just West of Baldwin correct??
                            > >
                            > > Can you tell me which Black River you are referring to?
                            > >
                            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_River_(Michigan)
                            > >
                            > > Thanks.
                            > >

                            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Not for a lot of years. The remark was because he replied in just 1 minute.
                            > > >
                            > > > One of my favorite free sites though was Bowman's Bridge just east of Baldwin on the Pere Marquette. It is very shaded and right on the river. You can camp within feet of the water. The negative is that it is a canoe takeout point. Gets really quiet after Labor Day though. Was a primitive site then.
                            > > >
                            > > > Lot of decent primitive sites across the national forest. I remember one up on a bluff overlooking the Black River. The Black has rated rapids as I recall.

                          • Keith Berry
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 21, 2012
                              Thanks Don.  I received the same basic response about reviewing it for future.  If they get quite a few requests, that may push it up the priority chain.

                              Can anyone tell me where the currdat.lst file gets its updates from and how often the data changes?  Is it updated from the history.dat file or every time the station updates?  Seems the history.dat file is only written to once a minute, and the wind gust data in it is not as high as the peak I have seen at that time on HeavyWeather, but was still higher than the 10 minute average reported to WUG.

                              Keith

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
                                Good Evening;

                                Here is a great case in point regarding this wind GUST issue with La Crosse. With strong storms late afternoon my Rainwise III recorded a gust of 48 mph. The maximum gust recorded by the program for La Crosse that shows up on my WEB SITE is 34 mph. I have sent La Crosse a follow up e-mail to their generic reply, TWICE, the most recent being a few minutes ago. Here is what I sent...

                                "Thank you for your first reply. I appreciate it.

                                Not to be pushy, but I seriously think this information needs to be included in an update and at your companies earliest convenience. Many owners of your fine equipment would love to see this made available. I personally do not know what it takes to create a program but I appreciate the time and effort. I can safely say on behalf of many owners of your stations out there that when you supply the update required there will be many happier owners of the La Crosse weather stations!"

                                Sincerely,
                                Don in Ohio