Re: Yet another bug in WS3600 Heavy Weather?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
      David,

      You are correct. A couple of months ago we experienced a severe storm.
      The gusting winds were probably in excess of 60 mph. A large tree in my
      front yard was destroyed. The highest windspeed recorded was 25 mph.

      This is very disappointing to say the least.

      I am not positive, but I suspect that heavyweather is writing to
      the .lst file only once per minute. The data that is written to the
      file is probably the last reading taken (9 seconds in wired mode).

      I wrote to Lacrosse and asked them to modify the heavyweather
      application so that the data is written every time it is read from the
      unit rather than once per minute.

      Another bug I have found is that sometimes when bogus data is read from
      the unit it is written to the .lst file however it is not written to
      the history.dat file. This tells me that they have some type of
      detection algorithm to detect the bogus readings which it rejects. This
      same error detection should be applied to the .lst data as well.

      It is unfortunate that these units are very close to being as good as
      the more expensive units (Davis, ect) but Lacrosse lacks the motivation
      to correct the problems (especially since they are very minor software
      tweaks).

      I suspect that they do not update the software very often. Maybe if
      everyone in this forum were to write them an email requesting changes
      they might take notice.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
      <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
      > Current.1st doesn't hold any Wind Gust information even though it is
      > stored and displayed in history.dat. I thought it strange when my
      > unit was displaying gusts of 42kph and was only getting 9kph
      displayed
      > on weatherunderground while stations around me are reporting 40-60kph!
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > David Higgins
      > Canberra, Australia
    • stevech
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
        I believe that it's a fact that LaCrosse obtains their products from a
        particular company in China, and that company sells to other than LaCrosse
        for certain countries. So it may be that LaCrosse is an importer/retailer
        and has little say-so in the product design and feature set.

        <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
        > Current.1st doesn't hold any Wind Gust information even though it is
        > stored and displayed in history.dat. I thought it strange when my
        > unit was displaying gusts of 42kph and was only getting 9kph
        displayed
        > on weatherunderground while stations around me are reporting 40-60kph!
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > David Higgins
        > Canberra, Australia

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • David Higgins
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
          I think the issue is that there is no gust information at all in the
          current.1st file - just the wind value in all units.

          My history.dat file is updated every 15 minutes although it is
          communicating with the sender every 30 seconds or so. The
          History.dat file has the correct information and pretty accurate
          gust information.

          Considering the issues with current.1st, WUHU would be better off
          trolling the history.dat file for information to up-load!

          How does one contact them?

          Cheers

          David

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2005
            David,

            I am not certain, but I believe the history.dat is written at a
            minimum of 5 minute intervals.

            If the Heavyweather application were to write currdat.lst every time
            the data is read from the console, this should correct the wind
            speed/gust issue.

            Ideally, if I could support the 36xx protocol, I would talk to the
            units directly. I believe the 23xx protocol understood well enough to
            implement it for practical purposes.

            They might not be the exclusive distributor, but maybe they can
            motivate the supplier to correct the problems.

            I believe the contact for Lacrosse is at:

            http://www.lacrossetechnology.info/contact.html

            <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
> [...]
            > motivation
            > > to correct the problems (especially since they are very minor
            > software
            > > tweaks).
            > >
            > > I suspect that they do not update the software very often. Maybe
            > if
            > > everyone in this forum were to write them an email requesting
            > changes
            > > they might take notice.
            > >
            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
            > > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
            > > > Current.1st doesn't hold any Wind Gust information even though
            > it is
            > > > stored and displayed in history.dat. I thought it strange when
            > my
            > > > unit was displaying gusts of 42kph and was only getting 9kph
            > > displayed
            > > > on weatherunderground while stations around me are reporting 40-

          • David Higgins
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 18, 2005
              It wouldn't matter how often they write the data to current.1st The
              problem is that they are NOT writing gust information to it.

              Cheers

              David Higgins
              Canberra, Australia
              http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                David,

                I am guessing that the unit is measuring current wind speed in a
                given time interval. It may or not be capturing the gust speed and
                reporting that value when the data is received by Heavyweather. The
                documentation makes no reference to gust wind speed.

                What I do know is that when in wired mode, the unit is reporting to
                Heavyweather approximately ever 9 seconds. Heavyweather is reading
                and probably storing this data. They are probably then determining
                gust speed as the highest wind speed over the past 5 minutes (minimum
                recording interval for history.dat).

                When we look at the current.lst file, Heavyweather is only updating
                this file 1/6 of the time (since it is updating the file only once
                per minute). I believe that what it is writing to the current.lst
                file is the last update received from the unit (before the 1 minute
                time period has expired).

                Therefore Heavyweather is processing 100% of the data received from
                the unit and currdat.lst is receiving about 16% of the data.

                Ideally Heavyweather would update currdat.lst with 100% of the data,
                then we can determine gust speed from the readings. This would be a
                quick and easy change to the software (I requested this change back
                in April 2005).

                The current.lst file would be preferable over the history.dat file in
                that the data is in plain text form for other applications to access
                (Heavyweather publisher uses this method). The history.dat file on
                the other hand is encoded in binary data. The format of the
                history.dat file is dependent upon the model being used.

                I will take a look at the file formats to see if they can be decoded
                properly. I should be able to support both.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                  Are we talking WS2300 or WS3600 here? The doco for the WS3600
                  specifically states that it reports wind gust information. Wind
                  Gust *is* displayed in the unit display so I don't believe it is
                  some special function in heavyweather.

                  Observation of the 2 values displayed in the unit (Wind speed and
                  Gust) shows that heavy weather is NOT doing what you suggest.

                  Cheers

                  David

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
                    David,

                    I was refering to the WS2300 series. I was not aware that the WS3600
                    maintained gust informaiton.

                    Do we know if the gust information is stored in the currdat.lst file?

                    Is it stored in the histor.dat file?

                    Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
                      David,

                      I found the info for decoding the history.dat file.

                      You are right, the 3600 does record wind gust whereas the 2300 does
                      not.

                      HeavyWeather History File Format
                      --------------------------------

                      Last Updated 2005/7/8
                      Compiled by Ben Udall

                      By default, weather history is stored in the history.dat file in the
                      HeavyWeather folder. HeavyWeather and HeavyWeatherPro use two
                      different
                      formats, both of which are presented below. Initial format
                      information
                      for HeavyWeatherPro was taken from Cyril Cavadore's program
                      (http://www.astrosurf.com/cavadore/meteo/stations_meteo/lacrosse/)

                      *******************

                      HeavyWeather V2.0 beta
                      La Crosse WS-2310 and WS-2315 weather stations

                      Each row of data is stored in 36 byte chunks starting from the
                      beginning of
                      the file (no header).

                      Row
                      Offset Type Name Unit
                      ------ --------- ---------------- -----
                      00 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 1)
                      04 ULong [4] Timestamp seconds from 1/1/1900 00:00:00
                      (GMT)
                      08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                      12 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
                      16 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
                      20 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
                      24 Float [4] Indoor Temp Celsius
                      28 Float [4] Outdoor Temp Celsius
                      32 UWord [2] Indoor Humidity %
                      34 UWord [2] Outdoor Humidity %

                      At the end of the file is an additional 28 bytes providing
                      information about
                      the dataset as a whole.

                      Offset Type Description
                      ------ --------- ----------------
                      00 ULong [4] unknown
                      04 Ulong [4] unknown (0)
                      08 Float [4] unknown (5.698)
                      12 ULong [4] unknown (0)
                      16 ULong [4] Number of rows
                      20 ULong [4] Timestamp of the first row of data
                      24 ULong [4] Timestamp of the last row of data

                      *******************

                      HeavyWeatherPro V1.1
                      La Crosse WS-3610 weather station

                      Each row of data is stored in 56 byte chunks starting from the
                      beginning of
                      the file (no header).

                      ROW
                      OFFSET Type Name Unit
                      ------ --------- ---------------- -----
                      00 Double [8] Timestamp days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00
                      (GMT)
                      08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                      12 Float [4] Relative Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
                      16 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
                      20 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
                      24 Float [4] Wind Gust meters/second
                      28 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
                      32 Float [4] New Rainfall millimeters
                      36 Float [4] Indoor Temp celsius
                      40 Float [4] Outdoor Temp celsius
                      44 Float [4] Indoor Humidity %
                      48 Float [4] Outdoor Humidity %
                      52 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 0)

                      Since the timestamp is a double, the fractional part represents
                      fractions of
                      a day. This is probably the same type as the Delphi TdateTime type.
                      More
                      information about this type can be found here:
                      http://www.aimtec.com.au/articles/ItsAboutTime/Default.htm

                      *******************

                      Wind Direction

                      Wind direction is encoded as an integer between 0 and 15. To get the
                      wind direction in degrees, multiply the value by 22.5. To get compass
                      directions (moving clockwise) 0 is North, 1 is North-Northeast, 2 is
                      Northeast, etc...
                      0 N
                      1 NNE
                      2 NE