Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WUHU on a matchbox size PC running Linux

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2012
      I was actually thinking about the Raspberry Pi but I couldn't remember the name of it.  For $35 you can get a computer that has Ethernet, USB, HDMI and RCA, SD card, and a few other IOs.  It comes with Linux. The drawback is it won't run WINE (yet).  Maybe Heath would be interested in porting WUHU, or not.  ;)

      I think that would make an incredible little uploader but it has a ways to go yet.

      Don

      http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Hub

      On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM, George Allen <geo.allen@...> wrote:

      For me, running most wx software on very old Windows laptops is a
      quick, low power, and cheap/free solution. 10 year old laptops can
      be found for [next to] nothing [friends, old work stuff, etc] with XP
      included, and run WUHU and things like WxLink or the ugly LaCrosse
      software just fine. I even have an old IBM T20 with a dead display -
      I access it remotely. Refuses to die. The headless mini-PCs [Zotac,
      Foxconn, etc] are another way to go [Windows or Linux], but by the
      time you add memory and a small HDD [and an OS if you go w/ a
      commercial product], you're up to about $150 [maybe less if you slum
      around on ebay].

      The biggest downside to older laptops is that once they power down,
      you need to lean on the power key - unless you can make 'wake on lan'
      work remotely.
      George dw2257/2258/9170
      _______________________________

      Sat Jul 7, 2012 1:48 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "laffert@..."
      laffert@...

      I'm thinking about trying this. I know there are some really small
      PCs that have the basics that you should need to run WUHU. Does
      anyone in the group have a suggestion as to what's available in a
      super small PC?
      I found a picture of something they called a Matchbox PC but it was
      from 2000. I know there are super small ones that run Linux out of
      the box but I didn't find any.
      I did install WINE and WUHU on a machine I have that's running Mint
      Linux and WUHU ran just fine. I didn't hook it up to my station but I
      am quite sure it would have done fine.