Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Weather Underground acquired by The Weather Channel

  • Radu Eugen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
      If the Weather Channel will not continue the great job done by the wunderground they will lose the vast majority of amateur meteorologists who post their data on the internet via WU. It would be a great loss. I hope it's not going to happen. There are always alternatives; Awekas, PWS, Weatherlink (Davis owners), Weatherbug an so on.
      I will stick with WU for as long as they will do their job like they did until now.
      Regards, Eugen Radu,
      Oradea, Romania

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
        Good point.

        As you say, if Wunderground.com changes and alienates its audience, _everyone_ loses including weather.com. So, that gives me confidence that Wunderground.com technology and innovation along with its audience are here to stay.

        logo
        John Celenza Director of Technology,Weather Underground
        Tel: 415-983-2605  | Mobile: 415-794-8648
        www.wunderground.com

        On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Radu Eugen <eugenraduoradea@...> wrote:

        If the Weather Channel will not continue the great job done by the wunderground they will lose the vast majority of amateur meteorologists who post their data on the internet via WU. It would be a great loss. I hope it's not going to happen. There are always alternatives; Awekas, PWS, Weatherlink (Davis owners), Weatherbug an so on.
        I will stick with WU for as long as they will do their job like they did until now.
        Regards, Eugen Radu,
        Oradea, Romania

        > Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I hope they don't shut down wunderground.com

        Time will tell but one thing for sure they better hide their women - the weather babes over there have always end up pregnant:-) Must be something in the coffee!

        Arnold In The Smokies
        DW1121

      • Bob Tyszka
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
          On 7/3/12 9:25 AM, John Celenza wrote:

          Good point.

          As you say, if Wunderground.com changes and alienates its audience, _everyone_ loses including weather.com. So, that gives me confidence that Wunderground.com technology and innovation along with its audience are here to stay.

          logo
          John Celenza Director of Technology,Weather Underground
          Tel: 415-983-2605  | Mobile: 415-794-8648
          www.wunderground.com

          John;

              I hope you are right, however the recent Weather Channel history is what makes some of skeptical.  When I first signed on to weather Underground, through WUHU, my data was displayed on Weather.com by Weather Bonk,  that went away.  Then the number of changes in the on air personnalities including at least one law suit.  Then there is the drop in programming quality.  The Weather Channel has gone from analyzing the weather to sensastionalizing the weather, they are not as informative as they were before NBC bought them.
              I hope that they do continue to use Weather Underground, but I have my fingers crossed.

          Anyway, Thanks for the fine work you do, I'm proud to be a data provider to weather Underground.

          --

          Bob Tyszka
          California City, CA

          Click
for California City, California Forecast

        • John Celenza

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 4, 2012
              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Celenza <john.celenza@...> wrote:

              > Thank you Bob.
              >
              > I will do everything I can to make this work out. This is my dream job,
              > after all :-)

              With the new front moving in, lets hope it isn't a wet one.
            • Edith
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
                My wish is that the graphs b3ecome "clickable" - I have always wanted to be able to see them in a larger mode and maybe even see just parts of them - like just 1 or 2 hours worth instead of the whole 24 hours. They are so small on my computer that they are close to a waste.
                Edith
                CW5985
                for now... coming down sometime during the next week and moving somewhere in Ohio...

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
                  You can use Control Plus on most browser to expand/zoom most things. Control Minus will reduce size.
                • John Celenza

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
                      Thanks....When my Grandaughter fools around with our laptop I sometimes end up with the screen font too large. Always took a while to fix it and wondered how she did it......now I know.