Re: [wuhu_software_group] Weather Underground acquired by The Weather Channel

  • John Celenza
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2012
      No one is shutting us down!

      We're keeping the Weather Underground brand and site. There will be less change than you'd think, but a lot more resources to draw from!

      -John

      logo
      John Celenza Director of Technology,Weather Underground
      Tel: 415-983-2605  | Mobile: 415-794-8648
      www.wunderground.com

      On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Shawn <sdparker1976@...> wrote:

      Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I hope they don't shut down wunderground.com

    • Shawn Parker
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2012
        Good to know thanks, I use wunderground on a daily basis!

        On 7/2/2012 5:28 PM, John Celenza wrote:

        > No one is shutting us down!
        >

        > We're keeping the Weather Underground brand and site. There will be
        > less change than you'd think, but a lot more resources to draw from!
        >
        > -John
        >
        > logo
        > *John Celenza*/ Director of Technology,Weather Underground/
        > Tel: 415-983-2605 | Mobile: 415-794-8648
        > www.wunderground.com <http://www.wunderground.com>
        >
        > Want a signature like mine?
        > <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=22&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_22>
        > Click here.
        > <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=22&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_22>
        >

        > On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Shawn <sdparker1976@...
        > <mailto:sdparker1976@...>> wrote:
        >
        > Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I hope they don't shut down
        > wunderground.com <http://wunderground.com>

      • alrjr2001
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn" <sdparker1976@...> wrote:

          > Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I hope they don't shut down wunderground.com

          Time will tell but one thing for sure they better hide their women - the weather babes over there have always end up pregnant:-) Must be something in the coffee!

          Arnold In The Smokies
          DW1121
        • Radu Eugen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
            If the Weather Channel will not continue the great job done by the wunderground they will lose the vast majority of amateur meteorologists who post their data on the internet via WU. It would be a great loss. I hope it's not going to happen. There are always alternatives; Awekas, PWS, Weatherlink (Davis owners), Weatherbug an so on.
            I will stick with WU for as long as they will do their job like they did until now.
            Regards, Eugen Radu,
            Oradea, Romania

            > Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I hope they don't shut down wunderground.com

            Time will tell but one thing for sure they better hide their women - the weather babes over there have always end up pregnant:-) Must be something in the coffee!

            Arnold In The Smokies
            DW1121

          • John Celenza

              > Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I hope they don't shut down wunderground.com

              Time will tell but one thing for sure they better hide their women - the weather babes over there have always end up pregnant:-) Must be something in the coffee!

              Arnold In The Smokies
              DW1121

            • Bob Tyszka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
                On 7/3/12 9:25 AM, John Celenza wrote:

                Good point.

                As you say, if Wunderground.com changes and alienates its audience, _everyone_ loses including weather.com. So, that gives me confidence that Wunderground.com technology and innovation along with its audience are here to stay.

                logo
                John Celenza Director of Technology,Weather Underground
                Tel: 415-983-2605  | Mobile: 415-794-8648
                www.wunderground.com

                John;

                    I hope you are right, however the recent Weather Channel history is what makes some of skeptical.  When I first signed on to weather Underground, through WUHU, my data was displayed on Weather.com by Weather Bonk,  that went away.  Then the number of changes in the on air personnalities including at least one law suit.  Then there is the drop in programming quality.  The Weather Channel has gone from analyzing the weather to sensastionalizing the weather, they are not as informative as they were before NBC bought them.
                    I hope that they do continue to use Weather Underground, but I have my fingers crossed.

                Anyway, Thanks for the fine work you do, I'm proud to be a data provider to weather Underground.

                --

                Bob Tyszka
                California City, CA

                Click
for California City, California Forecast

              • John Celenza

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 4, 2012
                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Celenza <john.celenza@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Bob.
                    >
                    > I will do everything I can to make this work out. This is my dream job,
                    > after all :-)

                    With the new front moving in, lets hope it isn't a wet one.
                  • Edith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
                      My wish is that the graphs b3ecome "clickable" - I have always wanted to be able to see them in a larger mode and maybe even see just parts of them - like just 1 or 2 hours worth instead of the whole 24 hours. They are so small on my computer that they are close to a waste.
                      Edith
                      CW5985
                      for now... coming down sometime during the next week and moving somewhere in Ohio...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
                        You can use Control Plus on most browser to expand/zoom most things. Control Minus will reduce size.
                      • John Celenza
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
                          Hello,

                          With that said (about changing graph size). We are currently working on interactive graphs. We've made a lot of progress, but we want the result to be impressive, so we need some more time.

                          Thanks,

                          On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:

                          You can use Control Plus on most browser to expand/zoom most things. Control Minus will reduce size.

                        • KNHBRIST1
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 5, 2012
                            Thanks....When my Grandaughter fools around with our laptop I sometimes end up with the screen font too large. Always took a while to fix it and wondered how she did it......now I know.