Re: Ubuntu Operating System

  • fish_water_black
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2012
      The majority of the drivers in the Kernel are either damaged or corrupt, so I was told.

      As to maintaining a "Clean PC", this PC goes through a thorough scan everyday with Avast 7.0, Malwarebytes, C-Cleaner, Spybot S&D and I even use Spyware Blaster. All of these are done everyday. It was the latest Windows Security Update that caused the PC to crash. It ran fine after the download, the update and reboot. But after the reboot and I try to open, close or simply click on the Start button and the whole machine freezes up. That's when I ran the Compaq restore discs. Now everything is not running right. Suppose to have plug-n-play, that doesn't work. Plug something in and nothing happens.

      I can't get the operating system updated as Microsoft can't verify I have a legit operating system. It was legit before the security update.

      The version of Ubuntu I have will strip the hard drive completely clean. It will do a thorough reformat of the hard drive. Anything that's on it will be gone. My brother done that to his PC and he showed just how much faster his older PC is now running Ubuntu.

      I found out I cannot use it any ways as it is not compatible with dial-up internet connection. It can only be used with Broadband, wireless internet and wi-fi. Someday --- I would like to switch to wireless internet. I'm tired of dial-up. Too dang slow to do anything. Including updating the many apps I use.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, ed willson <skymeat@...> wrote:

      > Fish Water,
      > Giving up Microsoft because of a troublesome PC is like having a bad
      > date and going gay. I'm not trying to be harsh either. If you can't
      > maintain a clean running windows system any linux flavor will give you
      > fits. The learning curve is a razor.
      >
      > I'd bet that you have some hardware that is faulty.
      >
      > If you're still running XP on that computer send me an email - I'll check
      > the logs/etc and see what's causing the problem.
      >

      > Thanks,
      > Ed
      >

      > On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I believe there are a few people running WUHU under WINE. Your mileage
      > > may vary.
      > >

      > > On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM, fish_water_black <
      > > fish_water_black@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> Does WUHU and the Heavy Weather Pro 2800 work with Ubuntu?
      > >>
      > >> I'm having major (and expensive) issues with Windows XP SP3. It crashed
      > >> on me at the end of May (this year) and it's costing me allot to get it
      > >> back to the state it was in. The PC downloaded and installed the recent
      > >> Windows security updates and now everything doesn't work right. I had other
      > >> issues long before this major crash happen with other Windows security
      > >> updates, like the sound stopped working or the graphics end up being funky.
      > >> Right now the WV5 Communications Service will not run, so the USB plug-in
      > >> transceiver will not communicate with the console.
      > >>
      > >> I have tried out Ubuntu and I like what I see. The OS boots up far faster
      > >> than XP. But I worry that my PWS won't be able to do what it "was" doing
      > >> with XP.
      > >>

      > > --
      > > making something that doesn't suck.

    • alrjr2001
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2012
        In Windows always go back to your last restore point after an "update" causes heartburn. Linux might be a good alternative as you should be able to use dial-up with it not sure about WUHU though...

        Arnold In The Smokies
        DW1121