Re: IP Enable a Serial WS

  • taemyks
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2012
      Sounds good. I'll do a writeup this weekend. I was thinking about an Instructable too if I'm going to document it (more of a general serial to Ethernet thing). Any preferred format? I usually do these things in Word.

      Thanks,
      Taemyks

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

      > Taemyks,
      >
      > Sure we would be interested in how it works.
      > If you write up a how-to I'll post it on the website.
      >

      > -John
      >
      > On 5/1/2012 8:00 PM, taemyks wrote:
      > > My new computer doesn't have a serial port - So my WS-2310 won't be able to connect!
      > >
      > > I'm going to IP enable the weather station so I can plug it into a switch. The process should be almost exactly the same with any weather station that's serial only.
      > >
      > > Let me know if anyone's interested in the process/requirements.
      > >

      > > Thanks,
      > > Taemyks

      > > WUHU Download page:

    • Jon Golubiewski
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2012
        I'd be curious as to what you're up to...  Most everything that I've seen involves more expense than it's worth.

        I recently installed Win 2K on a P3-500 and put the my WS-2310 weather station on that!  My Kill-O-Watt reports 29 watts, so I was pretty satisfied with this setup...

        ~ Jon G.

        --
           __  __  _  _     __
          (  )/  \( \( )   / _)

        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2012
          Beware that if you are using a serial server, the RTS and DTR hand shake lines must be operable. If they are not, the station will not talk. Although the communications are ASCII, these handshake lines do to things. It tells the console that the PC is present and it uses these lines as a ground reference and perhaps a parasitic power source to drive there RX and TX lines.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "taemyks" <skymeat@...> wrote:

          > My new computer doesn't have a serial port - So my WS-2310 won't be able to connect!
          >
          > I'm going to IP enable the weather station so I can plug it into a switch. The process should be almost exactly the same with any weather station that's serial only.
          >
          > Let me know if anyone's interested in the process/requirements.
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Taemyks

        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2012
            Word works fine. :)

            On May 1, 2012, at 9:32 PM, "taemyks" <skymeat@...> wrote:

            > Sounds good. I'll do a writeup this weekend. I was thinking about an Instructable too if I'm going to document it (more of a general serial to Ethernet thing). Any preferred format? I usually do these things in Word.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Taemyks
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Taemyks,
            >>
            >> Sure we would be interested in how it works.
            >> If you write up a how-to I'll post it on the website.
            >>

            >> -John
            >>
            >> On 5/1/2012 8:00 PM, taemyks wrote:
            >>> My new computer doesn't have a serial port - So my WS-2310 won't be able to connect!
            >>>
            >>> I'm going to IP enable the weather station so I can plug it into a switch. The process should be almost exactly the same with any weather station that's serial only.
            >>>
            >>> Let me know if anyone's interested in the process/requirements.
            >>>

            >>> Thanks,
            >>> Taemyks

            >>> WUHU Download page:

            > WUHU Download page:

          • taemyks
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2012
              Jon,
              I'm sorry you had to install W2K. My goal is to simplify - Rather than maintain another computer. I'm down to two physical computers now, and about 8 virtual ones (running free ESX on a box and using a computer to connect to it). So my plan is to spin up a VM running XP that will do nothing but run WUHU. Then I have 9 machines, but the same hardware, and backups are a cinch.

              If you're interested in virtualizing it's essentially free, you just need a server computer and a computer to connect to it. Find the stuff here:
              http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jon Golubiewski <NH4x4Jeep@...> wrote:

              > I'd be curious as to what you're up to... Most everything that I've seen
              > involves more expense than it's worth.
              >
              > I recently installed Win 2K on a P3-500 and put the my WS-2310 weather
              > station on that! My Kill-O-Watt reports 29 watts, so I was pretty
              > satisfied with this setup...
              >
              > ~ Jon G.
              >

              > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > My new computer doesn't have a serial port - So my WS-2310 won't be able
              > > to connect!
              > >
              > > I'm going to IP enable the weather station so I can plug it into a switch.
              > > The process should be almost exactly the same with any weather station
              > > that's serial only.
              > >
              > > Let me know if anyone's interested in the process/requirements.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Taemyks
              > >

              > --
              >
              > __ __ _ _ __
              > ( )/ \( \( ) / _)
              > __)(( () )) ( ( (/\
              > (___/ \__/(_)\_) \__/

            • Don Lafferty
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2012
                I like VirtualBox myself.  I find it's very easy to use.  I've used VMWare in the past but at that time they were phasing out the free version.  Looks like they brought one back.

                I'll have to check it out.

                Don

                On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:

                Jon,
                I'm sorry you had to install W2K. My goal is to simplify - Rather than maintain another computer. I'm down to two physical computers now, and about 8 virtual ones (running free ESX on a box and using a computer to connect to it). So my plan is to spin up a VM running XP that will do nothing but run WUHU. Then I have 9 machines, but the same hardware, and backups are a cinch.

                If you're interested in virtualizing it's essentially free, you just need a server computer and a computer to connect to it. Find the stuff here:
                http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jon Golubiewski <NH4x4Jeep@...> wrote:

                > I'd be curious as to what you're up to... Most everything that I've seen
                > involves more expense than it's worth.
                >
                > I recently installed Win 2K on a P3-500 and put the my WS-2310 weather
                > station on that! My Kill-O-Watt reports 29 watts, so I was pretty
                > satisfied with this setup...
                >
                > ~ Jon G.
                >

                > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > My new computer doesn't have a serial port - So my WS-2310 won't be able
                > > to connect!
                > >
                > > I'm going to IP enable the weather station so I can plug it into a switch.
                > > The process should be almost exactly the same with any weather station
                > > that's serial only.
                > >
                > > Let me know if anyone's interested in the process/requirements.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Taemyks
                > >

                > --
                >
                > __ __ _ _ __
                > ( )/ \( \( ) / _)
                > __)(( () )) ( ( (/\
                > (___/ \__/(_)\_) \__/

              • taemyks
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                  I finished my tutorial - I ended up writing in Open Office. Please everyone feel free to give any corrections etc..

                  Thanks,
                  Taemyks

                  http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sJekT7_hqXW4IiNYa38JbdDKF687VeKWEsPaIYQg-sEPJX4i-dO4q7B6rU-SjSs4AQremMvosf6gjpSOhgDgVCY3jhUCbCI1cb0yWZ4kd_M/Serial%20to%20IP.odt

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                  > Word works fine. :)
                  >
                  > On May 1, 2012, at 9:32 PM, "taemyks" <skymeat@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Sounds good. I'll do a writeup this weekend. I was thinking about an Instructable too if I'm going to document it (more of a general serial to Ethernet thing). Any preferred format? I usually do these things in Word.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Taemyks
                  > >
                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Taemyks,
                  > >>
                  > >> Sure we would be interested in how it works.
                  > >> If you write up a how-to I'll post it on the website.
                  > >>

                  > >> -John

                  > > WUHU Download page:

                • Don Lafferty
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                    Can you save a version in Word format please?

                    On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:

                    I finished my tutorial - I ended up writing in Open Office. Please everyone feel free to give any corrections etc..

                    Thanks,
                    Taemyks

                    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sJekT7_hqXW4IiNYa38JbdDKF687VeKWEsPaIYQg-sEPJX4i-dO4q7B6rU-SjSs4AQremMvosf6gjpSOhgDgVCY3jhUCbCI1cb0yWZ4kd_M/Serial%20to%20IP.odt

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                    > Word works fine. :)
                    >
                    > On May 1, 2012, at 9:32 PM, "taemyks" <skymeat@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Sounds good. I'll do a writeup this weekend. I was thinking about an Instructable too if I'm going to document it (more of a general serial to Ethernet thing). Any preferred format? I usually do these things in Word.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Taemyks
                    > >
                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> Taemyks,
                    > >>
                    > >> Sure we would be interested in how it works.
                    > >> If you write up a how-to I'll post it on the website.
                    > >>

                    > >> -John

                    > > WUHU Download page:

                  • taemyks
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                      I could only do an XML export for Word - It dosen't work too well most of the time. How about a PDF?

                      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sJekT6fSbUu4IiNYpSVx_ojsA0YRyzwWB7Eanr9FUl4oNU0kgNIhP21kHAkJuyeN_t2XmPOSvhls0WJaIMHcGY59xgHqHxi1ZXWLeqTd3Ws/Serial%20to%20IP.pdf

                      > Can you save a version in Word format please?
                      >
                      > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > I finished my tutorial - I ended up writing in Open Office. Please
                      > > everyone feel free to give any corrections etc..
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Taemyks
                      > >

                      > > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sJekT7_hqXW4IiNYa38JbdDKF687VeKWEsPaIYQg-sEPJX4i-dO4q7B6rU-SjSs4AQremMvosf6gjpSOhgDgVCY3jhUCbCI1cb0yWZ4kd_M/Serial%20to%20IP.odt
                      > >
                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Word works fine. :)

                      > > Instructable too if I'm going to document it (more of a general serial to
                      > > Ethernet thing). Any preferred format? I usually do these things in Word.

                      > > able to connect!

                      > > switch. The process should be almost exactly the same with any weather
                      > > station that's serial only.

                      > --
                      > making something that doesn't suck.

                    • Don Lafferty
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                        I found an online converter and opened it.  Very nice tutorial.  Thanks very much for that.

                        On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                        Can you save a version in Word format please?

                        On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:

                        I finished my tutorial - I ended up writing in Open Office. Please everyone feel free to give any corrections etc..

                        Thanks,
                        Taemyks

                        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sJekT7_hqXW4IiNYa38JbdDKF687VeKWEsPaIYQg-sEPJX4i-dO4q7B6rU-SjSs4AQremMvosf6gjpSOhgDgVCY3jhUCbCI1cb0yWZ4kd_M/Serial%20to%20IP.odt

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                        > Word works fine. :)
                        >
                        > On May 1, 2012, at 9:32 PM, "taemyks" <skymeat@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Sounds good. I'll do a writeup this weekend. I was thinking about an Instructable too if I'm going to document it (more of a general serial to Ethernet thing). Any preferred format? I usually do these things in Word.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Taemyks
                        > >
                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> Taemyks,
                        > >>
                        > >> Sure we would be interested in how it works.
                        > >> If you write up a how-to I'll post it on the website.
                        > >>

                        > >> -John

                        > > WUHU Download page:

                      • Don Lafferty
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4, 2012
                          I used this.  Worked very well but pdf is good too.

                          On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:

                          I could only do an XML export for Word - It dosen't work too well most of the time. How about a PDF?

                          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sJekT6fSbUu4IiNYpSVx_ojsA0YRyzwWB7Eanr9FUl4oNU0kgNIhP21kHAkJuyeN_t2XmPOSvhls0WJaIMHcGY59xgHqHxi1ZXWLeqTd3Ws/Serial%20to%20IP.pdf

                          > Can you save a version in Word format please?
                          >
                          > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM, taemyks <skymeat@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **

                          > > I finished my tutorial - I ended up writing in Open Office. Please
                          > > everyone feel free to give any corrections etc..
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > > Taemyks
                          > >

                          > > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sJekT7_hqXW4IiNYa38JbdDKF687VeKWEsPaIYQg-sEPJX4i-dO4q7B6rU-SjSs4AQremMvosf6gjpSOhgDgVCY3jhUCbCI1cb0yWZ4kd_M/Serial%20to%20IP.odt
                          > >
                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Word works fine. :)

                          > > Instructable too if I'm going to document it (more of a general serial to
                          > > Ethernet thing). Any preferred format? I usually do these things in Word.

                          > > able to connect!

                          > > switch. The process should be almost exactly the same with any weather
                          > > station that's serial only.

                          > --
                          > making something that doesn't suck.

                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 5, 2012
                            Anybody else getting a document not found error?
                          • Don Lafferty
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 5, 2012
                              You can find them in the files section of the group.