Re: [wuhu_software_group] Advice

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 12, 2012
      Have you looked at the Oregon Scientific WMR968?  I've been running one since I replaced my LaCrosse a couple of years ago and I really like it.  You can find one for less than $200 which is more than LaCrosse but less than Davis.

      Don

      On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:

      I have had a WS2317 up since mid last summer. The wind speed died. They want $35 for a replacement. Now the rain is flaky. Quality and LaCrosse don't go hand in hand. So, I am thinking replacement. I don't love all this enough to spend any serious money. I might have gone the Davis route if they hadn't made the computer interface so costly. They left a 30-cent USB chip out of the console and their solution seems the least cost effective solution one could imagine.

      So, I have been looking. Not a lot to recommend one over the other. Ambient has a 1090 model out that looks decent and from what I gather is getting average or above reviews. But, the software I like and use would have to be switched out.

      Any chance of adding the unit to WUHU?

      http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1090.html

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 13, 2012
        I believe that model is support via file mode, with 1 to 5 minute updates, I cannot recall the minimum frequency that it writes the file. I doubt I would invest the time to implement the USB protocol.

        I am going to implement the protocol for a Acu-Rite station that looks a lot like the Davis Vantage. Hopefully I will have the time over the next few weeks to implement it. I am also waiting on receiving the unit, not sure when that will be exactly. You might look in to one of those.

        There is also the Davis Vantage station. Although you do pay for that logger, you can find them discounted or for sale used. The maintenance on the Davis stations and the accuracy of the data is worth the extra money.

        > I have had a WS2317 up since mid last summer. The wind speed died. They want $35 for a replacement. Now the rain is flaky. Quality and LaCrosse don't go hand in hand. So, I am thinking replacement. I don't love all this enough to spend any serious money. I might have gone the Davis route if they hadn't made the computer interface so costly. They left a 30-cent USB chip out of the console and their solution seems the least cost effective solution one could imagine.
        >
        > So, I have been looking. Not a lot to recommend one over the other. Ambient has a 1090 model out that looks decent and from what I gather is getting average or above reviews. But, the software I like and use would have to be switched out.
        >
        > Any chance of adding the unit to WUHU?
        >
        > http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1090.html

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 13, 2012
          Since my CP/M days there has always been two words that can set me off: PROPRIETARY INTERFACE. :) Davis is a non-starter. Sad that the best has aspects of the worst.

          I looked at the acu-rite and it looked really slick. Easy setup too. The models are just as confusing as most weather station vendors. But, I really liked the package -- especially the coming software that is so well supported.

          Then I looked around. Amazon has them and there are some La Crosse grade reviews of the product. (Weird model # though)
          http://www.amazon.com/Acu-Rite-01500-Wireless-Weather-Station/product-reviews/B004KRUY28/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
          It has 4-5's and 3-1 star. The negative are all the things that put me off ever owning another LaCrosse product.

          @Don The Oregon Sci model you mention seems discontinued. The multi-channel aspect seems a bit scary. I tried the optimistic LaCrosse spec for distance and it wouldn't reliably operate at 1/3rd of spec. Having that going on from multiple locations is a bit unnerving. The battery count coupled to northern winters could get messy. I used to play with a QRP rig and the power stations use makes that look like a powerhouse. 433 should slice through walls but the marginal signal strengths in so many designs makes it more problematic.

          It seems to boil down to Q/A issues with almost every vendor in the competitive price point arena. They seemed to try to squeeze one penny beyond the minimum. Mid-range pricing seems to be only Davis and you know my feelings there. Professional station out of the question. There seems to be a place for a great business plan here but the overall market is too small to really attract the right setup.
        • Don Lafferty

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 13, 2012
              Just wondering what the most distance from the receiver you have going.

              > Yes it was discontinued a while ago but you can still find them on Ebay and
              > Amazon. It's a good weather station if you are trying to save cash and get
              > a good, reliable station but there are probably others that are as good and
              > not discontinued. I just don't know of them.
              >
              > Don
              >
              > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Since my CP/M days there has always been two words that can set me off:
              > > PROPRIETARY INTERFACE. :) Davis is a non-starter. Sad that the best has
              > > aspects of the worst.
              > >
              > > I looked at the acu-rite and it looked really slick. Easy setup too. The
              > > models are just as confusing as most weather station vendors. But, I really
              > > liked the package -- especially the coming software that is so well
              > > supported.
              > >
              > > Then I looked around. Amazon has them and there are some La Crosse grade
              > > reviews of the product. (Weird model # though)
              > >
              > > http://www.amazon.com/Acu-Rite-01500-Wireless-Weather-Station/product-reviews/B004KRUY28/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
              > > It has 4-5's and 3-1 star. The negative are all the things that put me off
              > > ever owning another LaCrosse product.
              > >
              > > @Don The Oregon Sci model you mention seems discontinued. The
              > > multi-channel aspect seems a bit scary. I tried the optimistic LaCrosse
              > > spec for distance and it wouldn't reliably operate at 1/3rd of spec. Having
              > > that going on from multiple locations is a bit unnerving. The battery count
              > > coupled to northern winters could get messy. I used to play with a QRP rig
              > > and the power stations use makes that look like a powerhouse. 433 should
              > > slice through walls but the marginal signal strengths in so many designs
              > > makes it more problematic.
              > >
              > > It seems to boil down to Q/A issues with almost every vendor in the
              > > competitive price point arena. They seemed to try to squeeze one penny
              > > beyond the minimum. Mid-range pricing seems to be only Davis and you know
              > > my feelings there. Professional station out of the question. There seems to
              > > be a place for a great business plan here but the overall market is too
              > > small to really attract the right setup.
              > >

              > --
              > making something that doesn't suck.

            • Don Lafferty
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 13, 2012
                Everything is fairly close.  I have the rain bucket and outside temp/humidity sensor on a pole about 40 feet away and the wind gauge on the roof about 30 feet.

                I believe they are rated to 300 feet but I've never tried that distance.

                Don

                On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:

                Just wondering what the most distance from the receiver you have going.

                > Yes it was discontinued a while ago but you can still find them on Ebay and
                > Amazon. It's a good weather station if you are trying to save cash and get
                > a good, reliable station but there are probably others that are as good and
                > not discontinued. I just don't know of them.
                >
                > Don
                >
                > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Since my CP/M days there has always been two words that can set me off:
                > > PROPRIETARY INTERFACE. :) Davis is a non-starter. Sad that the best has
                > > aspects of the worst.
                > >
                > > I looked at the acu-rite and it looked really slick. Easy setup too. The
                > > models are just as confusing as most weather station vendors. But, I really
                > > liked the package -- especially the coming software that is so well
                > > supported.
                > >
                > > Then I looked around. Amazon has them and there are some La Crosse grade
                > > reviews of the product. (Weird model # though)
                > >
                > > http://www.amazon.com/Acu-Rite-01500-Wireless-Weather-Station/product-reviews/B004KRUY28/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
                > > It has 4-5's and 3-1 star. The negative are all the things that put me off
                > > ever owning another LaCrosse product.
                > >
                > > @Don The Oregon Sci model you mention seems discontinued. The
                > > multi-channel aspect seems a bit scary. I tried the optimistic LaCrosse
                > > spec for distance and it wouldn't reliably operate at 1/3rd of spec. Having
                > > that going on from multiple locations is a bit unnerving. The battery count
                > > coupled to northern winters could get messy. I used to play with a QRP rig
                > > and the power stations use makes that look like a powerhouse. 433 should
                > > slice through walls but the marginal signal strengths in so many designs
                > > makes it more problematic.
                > >
                > > It seems to boil down to Q/A issues with almost every vendor in the
                > > competitive price point arena. They seemed to try to squeeze one penny
                > > beyond the minimum. Mid-range pricing seems to be only Davis and you know
                > > my feelings there. Professional station out of the question. There seems to
                > > be a place for a great business plan here but the overall market is too
                > > small to really attract the right setup.
                > >

                > --
                > making something that doesn't suck.

              • don_wa5ngp
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 13, 2012
                  I think the weakest link in these lacrosse units is the telephone RJ style cables and connectors. I've been able to get mine going after failure by polishing those little gold contacts.

                  My wind thing is now failing after a couple of years. I don't have the enthusiasm to climb up on the chimney to get it down to debug so I'm just going to stick with rainfall and temperature for a while. At some point I may try to hardwire it using cat5 cabling but that will be a pain since all the connections inside the wind thingy are sooo small and delicate.

                  For just the rain, my biggest problem was spiders building nests inside the bucket that keeps it from teeter tottering. I see lots of comments about reed bottles failing but that hasn't happened to me.
                • KNHBRIST1
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 14, 2012
                    I bought my 2310 in March of 2003 and it is still running strong today. Probably should not have said that...LOL
                    I have replaced the wind sensor with the Inspeed Vortex.
                    Original one is still mounted and working.
                    I did change out the rain gauge a couple years ago, mostly my fault as I was cleaning up some bug dung and scrapped off some of the stuff on the small circuit type board inside.
                    I think that is pretty good.
                    My QC checks are most always green.
                    I do have trouble with bugs as mentioned above. I do try to spray around the rain gauge with bug spray and it seems to help.
                    Steve
                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 14, 2012
                      There are always factors that can affect the user experience and the vendor isn't always the vendor at fault. That said. From the start, the unit never met the specs promised. The transmission were spotty and that with the unit close to the house and me even putting the receiver in a window to avoid it having to pass through a wall. I had to go to wired. That was a bit better but still periodically need resets to both tx and rx.

                      The unit was installed last summer. The winter ate the wind speed and the spring ate the rain gauge. Warranty horror abound with them and buying replacements isn't cost effective given the gotchas.

                      I am glad yours works well for you. My experience isn't having me think LaCrosse. Don harassed me into picking up a station just like his. If that goes bum, I'll have two to blame. :)
                    • don_wa5ngp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 14, 2012
                        when bugs were really bothering my rain gauge I soaked a small cotton strip with bug killer and put it in the bottom.

                        Due to this bugs in the rain gauge problem I would never buy a unit with the wind and rain in the same pkg. You've got to have the wind unit way high up and it usually doesn't require maintenance. however, the rain needs cleaning periodically so you don't want to have to climb way high to deal with it frequently.

                        Perhaps this is unique to Texas since winters up north eliminate bugs.

                        don

                        > I bought my 2310 in March of 2003 and it is still running strong today. Probably should not have said that...LOL
                        > I have replaced the wind sensor with the Inspeed Vortex.
                        > Original one is still mounted and working.
                        > I did change out the rain gauge a couple years ago, mostly my fault as I was cleaning up some bug dung and scrapped off some of the stuff on the small circuit type board inside.
                        > I think that is pretty good.
                        > My QC checks are most always green.
                        > I do have trouble with bugs as mentioned above. I do try to spray around the rain gauge with bug spray and it seems to help.
                        > Steve

                      • Ken
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 14, 2012
                          I'd tend to suggest a dust inside rather than a liquid. Most have a solvent and the plastic components used in the unit might be affected. Most dust have a longer useful life too. One could probably get away with a little bit added from the top and carried in by the rain. That could be redone after a heavy rain.

                          Ken KB9EU

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "don_wa5ngp" <don_wa5ngp@...> wrote:

                          > when bugs were really bothering my rain gauge I soaked a small cotton strip with bug killer and put it in the bottom.
                          >
                          > Due to this bugs in the rain gauge problem I would never buy a unit with the wind and rain in the same pkg. You've got to have the wind unit way high up and it usually doesn't require maintenance. however, the rain needs cleaning periodically so you don't want to have to climb way high to deal with it frequently.
                          >
                          > Perhaps this is unique to Texas since winters up north eliminate bugs.
                          >
                          > don
                          >
                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I bought my 2310 in March of 2003 and it is still running strong today. Probably should not have said that...LOL
                          > > I have replaced the wind sensor with the Inspeed Vortex.
                          > > Original one is still mounted and working.
                          > > I did change out the rain gauge a couple years ago, mostly my fault as I was cleaning up some bug dung and scrapped off some of the stuff on the small circuit type board inside.
                          > > I think that is pretty good.
                          > > My QC checks are most always green.
                          > > I do have trouble with bugs as mentioned above. I do try to spray around the rain gauge with bug spray and it seems to help.
                          > > Steve

                        • Don Lafferty
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 14, 2012
                            If I had to do it again and money wasn't an object I would definitely get a Davis.  But since this is a hobby and not one I want to spend tons of money on I prefer something a little cheaper but a little better than the LaCrosse I used the first couple of years.

                            I've been quite happy with my OS WMR968 but it seems they are getting hard to get.  I don't know how the new OS stations are as nobody here has reported on one.

                            Don

                            On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:

                            There are always factors that can affect the user experience and the vendor isn't always the vendor at fault. That said. From the start, the unit never met the specs promised. The transmission were spotty and that with the unit close to the house and me even putting the receiver in a window to avoid it having to pass through a wall. I had to go to wired. That was a bit better but still periodically need resets to both tx and rx.

                            The unit was installed last summer. The winter ate the wind speed and the spring ate the rain gauge. Warranty horror abound with them and buying replacements isn't cost effective given the gotchas.

                            I am glad yours works well for you. My experience isn't having me think LaCrosse. Don harassed me into picking up a station just like his. If that goes bum, I'll have two to blame. :)

                          • Radu Eugen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 14, 2012
                              I know someone who has a WMR 200 and it works quite OK but still has some problems like all the other cheap modells.
                              This WMR 200 has the advantage and the possibility to attach the UV sensor and put it online.
                              If I would have the possibility to have the OS in Eastern Europe I would go for the WMR 100+the UV sensor and try to put it online. I would make a parallel comparison with the 2 LC I already have up and running for many years now. I have a UV sensor of a OS cheap modell without the PC connection and it works flawless, the only problem is the humidity part of the hygro-thermo sensor, very sensitive case of the OS modells and the wind sometimes.
                              If you don't care too much about UV stuff you can go with LC 28XX modells, many of the guys from the WU have it and they seem to be quite content about it, plus that you don't need any wires anywhere.

                              Regards, Eugen

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 14, 2012
                                I am on record on my opinion of Davis/interface. When you add it all up, you've gotten darn close to some of the manufacturers that are a serious level above Davis. And, they'll even be selling you stuff that is maintainable and repairable.

                                Weather stations are part of throw away society. Profit center accounting won. And one of those centers has become "customer service" (oxymoron for sure) that is only 5 key-presses, a twenty minute wait, and you are talking but may be recorded with a guy with zero option not on the flow chart right in front of him. Of course if you pressed 2 instead of 1 he'll respond nada instead of no.

                                We've done that to ourselves. So, like the saying goes, relax and enjoy it.