Re: Wind Speed Correction factor.

  • kathy.n.brian@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 19, 2012
      It's not clearly incorrect but seems like an unusual coincidence that the gust speed in HW & WUHU (& WU) are showing exactly the same value of 36.9 mph with the Tweak set to 1.25. Wouldn't that mean the wind speed value in currdat.lst was somewhere between 29.48 & 29.55 at the time of the gust? No value in that range shows up in the HW history anywhere around that time. Aren't the values in the HW history those that come from currdat.lst?

      Oh, I see, currdat.lst appears to be written somewhat randomly, approximately every 5-20 seconds on my setup (gauged by watching WUHU updates). So a wind speed value between 29.48 & 29.55 must have occurred but HW did not store that value since it is only saving data once per minute. Still seems like a somewhat unlikely coincidence, but makes sense.

      That being the case, there really should be plenty of times where WUHU shows a _higher_ wind gust speed than HW, especially with the 1.25 tweak enabled. I'm pretty sure that has never happened yet, which would also seem unlikely, but not impossible I suppose. I'll go thru the data to see if this has ever happened. I typically only pay attention to the wind gust when we're having fun weather (gusts exceeding 40 mph, which is actually fairly common here).
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 19, 2012
        If this is a WS-23XX, the HW program is polling the station every 10 seconds on average and only writing the currdat.lst once per minute. It is much more likely that HW will record higher speeds that WUHU will see in the currdat.lst.

        You can run WUHU in direct serial mode and cut HW out of the loop. Even so, the polling is every 7 seconds or so and data is occasionally lost. One time I had a good 60+ MPH gust and my station missed it as a large tree just missed my house.

        If you are really in to catching momentary guest, I would suggest getting an Inspeed Vortex. This requires hard-wiring to the sensor and a serial port on the PC but you have real-time wind captures and data is never lost.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kathy.n.brian@..." <brian.r.hamilton@...> wrote:

        > It's not clearly incorrect but seems like an unusual coincidence that the gust speed in HW & WUHU (& WU) are showing exactly the same value of 36.9 mph with the Tweak set to 1.25. Wouldn't that mean the wind speed value in currdat.lst was somewhere between 29.48 & 29.55 at the time of the gust? No value in that range shows up in the HW history anywhere around that time. Aren't the values in the HW history those that come from currdat.lst?
        >
        > Oh, I see, currdat.lst appears to be written somewhat randomly, approximately every 5-20 seconds on my setup (gauged by watching WUHU updates). So a wind speed value between 29.48 & 29.55 must have occurred but HW did not store that value since it is only saving data once per minute. Still seems like a somewhat unlikely coincidence, but makes sense.
        >
        > That being the case, there really should be plenty of times where WUHU shows a _higher_ wind gust speed than HW, especially with the 1.25 tweak enabled. I'm pretty sure that has never happened yet, which would also seem unlikely, but not impossible I suppose. I'll go thru the data to see if this has ever happened. I typically only pay attention to the wind gust when we're having fun weather (gusts exceeding 40 mph, which is actually fairly common here).

      • KNHBRIST1
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 19, 2012
          I'll second the suggestion for the Inspeed Vortex. With what the author of WUHU has written in to the software, when enabled it will pick up every gust. Can not remember what th epolling is but it is awesome. If you watch the gauges inside WUHU, it is so smooth, you can't even tell there is a delay in picking up the wind gusts. If I hear a gust outside, I can go take a look and it is captured by WUHU.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 19, 2012
            I see this topic was discussed a while back here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=9210.0. Very frustrating that LaCrosse still hasn't made the embarrassingly simple software change that would essentially solve this problem.

            That Inspeed Vortex looks fun! I'd be plenty happy with my WS-2813 (using WUHU) if LaCrosse would just fix this wind gust problem. I have no idea how reliable this hardware will be long-term but I really like the flexibility of it being wireless, allowing me to mount the sensors in nearly ideal locations with ease.
          • kathy.n.brian@pacbell.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 19, 2012
              It's a WS-2813 with all the wireless sensors. It appears to me that HW (HW Pro WS 2800) is writing currdat.lst more like around 6 times per minute. It's hard to tell for sure, but it appears that the HW display is updated at the same time as, or at least synchronously with, currdat.lst. At least this appears to be the case when the HW application is on top (in focus or whatever).

              I suppose the WV5Communication service receives the data from the console at whatever the wireless transmission interval is (variable due to error correction, sensor sync variations, etc.) & simply updates currdat.lst. HW probably has a timer-triggered event for updated history.dat but updates it's display on currdat.lst updates when in focus (much like WUHU but maybe thru interaction with the service instead).

              If this is basically accurate, the wind gust reporting issue would be solved well enough if LaCrosse would simply add wind gust to currdat.lst, right?
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 19, 2012
                Yes, if they kept track of gust, say over the past 10 minutes, this would fix the problem. They could also just report the momentary gust, separate from the wind speed, either would work.

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 21, 2012
                  Momentary gust would be a no-brainer because it would be such a trivial addition to the HW software. Since WUHU already has an averaging algorithm in place it would probably be less work for you too. On the other hand, if reporting gust as an average over 10 minutes is any sort of standard or convention, it would make even more sense to do that in HW. I prefer the first simply because it's closer to the raw station data which is what everyone should really be after to do with as they please.

                  I contacted LaCross Tech Support to request the change. At least they replied stating they would consider this IF they make an update to the software. Fingers crossed but it sounds unlikely it will happen anytime soon, if ever.

                  I just hope they don't make the change to a version of the HW software that only works with the next generation of their weather stations. That would alienate many of the customers who purchased the wireless stations thru Costco. I think that's a pretty large number as they disappeared quickly off the shelves locally & I see them mounted all over the place now.