Lacrosse Anemometer Question

  • w0gu
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 6:24 AM
      This may be slightly OT for this group ...

      I have a Lacrosse WS-2315. The wind speed seems to read consistently higher than I would expect.

      I took apart the anemometer from a defunct WS-2310. It's not clear to me how it actually works....The turbine spins, and there is some kind of 2-wire sensor. What is it sensing as the turbine spins ? Infrared ? Ultrasonic ? Magnetic ? And since the sensor is fixed in position, while the turbine pivots with the wind direction, how does that work ?

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 1:39 PM
        I am pretty sure that the direction is determined from a small disk with slits in it. Are 4-5 pairs of emitters and receivers and they decode one of the 16 possible positions. If you ever tear one apart, do it slowly otherwise you will end up with a bunch of parts in your hand one as it flies apart.

        I cannot recall how the turbine works. I think it might be using a magnetic pickup of some kind. There may be a wire in one of the turbine blades maybe. I do recall some type of sensor with two wires attached to it.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "w0gu" <n2ic@...> wrote:

        > This may be slightly OT for this group ...
        >
        > I have a Lacrosse WS-2315. The wind speed seems to read consistently higher than I would expect.
        >
        > I took apart the anemometer from a defunct WS-2310. It's not clear to me how it actually works....The turbine spins, and there is some kind of 2-wire sensor. What is it sensing as the turbine spins ? Infrared ? Ultrasonic ? Magnetic ? And since the sensor is fixed in position, while the turbine pivots with the wind direction, how does that work ?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Steve

      • GW
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 1:05 AM
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "w0gu" <n2ic@...> wrote:

          > This may be slightly OT for this group ...
          >
          > I have a Lacrosse WS-2315. The wind speed seems to read consistently higher than I would expect.
          >
          > I took apart the anemometer from a defunct WS-2310. It's not clear to me how it actually works....The turbine spins, and there is some kind of 2-wire sensor. What is it sensing as the turbine spins ? Infrared ? Ultrasonic ? Magnetic ? And since the sensor is fixed in position, while the turbine pivots with the wind direction, how does that work ?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Steve

          I have a 2315 but I've never torn it apart.

          From what I've seen, Dimitris (Weather 1967) has torn apart and rebuilt 23XX stations several times and he seems expert in how they work. He has some diagrams on his website:

          or you might email him. Or he may respond to this post.

          Good luck! :)

          Greg Whitehead
          Euchee, TN
          CWOP: DW0148
          WMR968/WS-2315/VP2/WHUH X 3
          WU: KTNEUCHE3/KTNTENMI2/KTNTENMI3
          CoCoRaHS: TN-MS-1
          Website: http://sites.google.com/site/tenmileweather/
        • Dimitris
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4 9:01 AM
            Thank you Greg

            WUHU author is correct for wind direction it have 4 infrared photodiodes over pcb receiver,and one emmiting over to wind vane,when turn around the wind vane bettwen wind vane and pcb there is a round plastic with holes and it let the infrared emmiting to receiver at correct direction.

            Here show the 4 photodiodes
            http://i72.servimg.com/u/f72/11/22/64/62/anemom11.jpg

            For wind speed at down side in the plastic it have a magnetic ring,when turn the proppele or cups,it give pulses at microcontroler ,many pulse fast speed,low pulse slow speed.

            You thing it work like Bicycle speed counter

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rObJK19vou8&feature=related

            sorry for my English i hope you understand me

            Best regards from Greece
            Dimitris