Wind Gain For Wind Dir's.

  • gb2580
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5 4:19 PM
      Is it possible to have different wind gains for specific wind directions.Maybe in groups of 90 or 120 degrees.From the NW to the SE is pretty clear of any trees or buildings.The S to W is full of trees some 50ft tall as close as 100 ft or less.I adjust the gain for the open area which makes the S-W wind much lower.If i compromise between the two then the N wind is way to high.My anemometer is approx 20 ft in elevation.Any higher and the Park Manager will pay me a visit.
      Thank you
      GB
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7 2:53 AM
        I did look in to this idea a long time ago. As I recall the implementation became a big complicated and no one was really asking for the feature so I did not implement it.

        If you want to write up the pseudo code that includes the calculations for doing so I can take a look.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gb2580" <gb2580@...> wrote:

        > Is it possible to have different wind gains for specific wind directions.Maybe in groups of 90 or 120 degrees.From the NW to the SE is pretty clear of any trees or buildings.The S to W is full of trees some 50ft tall as close as 100 ft or less.I adjust the gain for the open area which makes the S-W wind much lower.If i compromise between the two then the N wind is way to high.My anemometer is approx 20 ft in elevation.Any higher and the Park Manager will pay me a visit.
        > Thank you
        > GB

      • gb2580
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7 6:13 PM
          I have no experience writing software or programming.Sorry i can't help.I agree if it is that involved it would be better if many people requested it otherwise its not really worth it.Thanks anyway for answering.
          gb2580

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8 2:39 AM
            Psuedo code is not really writing code. The real problem is coming up with the math behind it. If you tweak the 90 degree wind at say +20%, how do you handle 100 degrees with that tweak? How do you handle overlapping tweaks? Although it seems simple on the surface I am not sure that it is. If you can find something similar on the net I can take a look. I am sure there is a something similar out there, maybe using vectors or something, not sure.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gb2580" <gb2580@...> wrote:

            > I have no experience writing software or programming.Sorry i can't help.I agree if it is that involved it would be better if many people requested it otherwise its not really worth it.Thanks anyway for answering.
            > gb2580

            > > I did look in to this idea a long time ago. As I recall the implementation became a big complicated and no one was really asking for the feature so I did not implement it.
            > >
            > > If you want to write up the pseudo code that includes the calculations for doing so I can take a look.
            > >
            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gb2580" <gb2580@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Is it possible to have different wind gains for specific wind directions.Maybe in groups of 90 or 120 degrees.From the NW to the SE is pretty clear of any trees or buildings.The S to W is full of trees some 50ft tall as close as 100 ft or less.I adjust the gain for the open area which makes the S-W wind much lower.If i compromise between the two then the N wind is way to high.My anemometer is approx 20 ft in elevation.Any higher and the Park Manager will pay me a visit.
            > > > Thank you
            > > > GB

          • gb2580
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9 7:10 PM
              I found weather software that does tweaks for wind gain depending on direction.It is called Weather Display.I downloaded the 30 day trial but i dont think it works right.It seems to do some wierd multiplication on certain directions.I also found two sites which explain wind gain for height and terrain.There is a formula that uses friction coefficient and roughness length used by the Danish Wind Industry.I plugged the corresponding numbers in for my desired height and surrounding terrain and came up with a gain of 1.46.I have been using 1.50 which i thought would be a good number based on my terrain and the average of1.3,1.5 and 1.7 for heavy tree area.I believe you have to stick with the one number of 1.50.So im good with the one gain.one other question i have is the FMH-1 describes a gust as being 10 knots higher then your lull which is 11.5mph.So is a gust only a gust from 12mph and up.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10 1:11 AM
                Most if not all of the amateur weather servers define it has the highest (or peak) wind speed detected in the past 10 minutes. I believe all of the consumer grade weather stations define gust this way as well.