Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Off topic Website question

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2012
      Here's one more yea for Cpanel.  I also look for that in a host.

      Don

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Larry Myers <hometownnerd@...> wrote:

      That is a very good point, Ken. The save restore of Cpanel is sweet as long as you can keep finding cpanel sites. Migrating is never as easy as copying some files, I always forget something and those backups normally would include everything down to the auto tasks and the DBs I just loved that.

      Larry

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:

      I had a blog at GoDaddy and can't recommend it. The blog software is non-standard and won't transport to the standard software. Every service you can imagine requires another fee. GoDaddy is pure bait and switch and the SOBs supported SOPA which lost them thousands of accounts.

      You can find any number of paid hosting sites at around $5/mo including one domain registration. WordPress always has several paid ads for such and you can Google them. Right now I am using bluehost.com and it is adequate but nothing special. They all provided the same basic setup--Cpanel. They add marketing items they want to sell you but the setup and basics are there in all. You can have a WordPress site up in very short order.

      You want to go with a cpanel based provider. When the site I was using wouldn't renew the intro pricing, I transported the entire site to another using a standard save/restore option in cPanel.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jed Petrovich <jwpetrov@...> wrote:

      > Steve:
      >
      > You might take a look at GoDaddy.com. There may be other worth considering,
      > but they have hosting plans including email accounts starting at 4.99 per
      > month. I didn't look carefully at your site, so I'm not sure if you have
      > any special hosting requirements.
      >
      > Email me off-list and I should be able to help you transfer your site if
      > you so choose.
      >
      > Jed
      > jwpetrov@...
      >
      > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > OK, I have had my website www.nhgunns.com for a few years now. It started
      > > out free, then went to something like $14 per year and now Microsoft is
      > > switching to Microsoft 365 or something like that which will be 6.00 per
      > > month plus the cost of my domain.
      > > Any suggestions on what my options might be.
      > > I just want my website to look like it does now, I don't use any e-mail
      > > services or actually anything but what you see on the site.
      > > I do own the domain, at least I think I do..LOL]
      > > My DSL company does not offer a free web hosting, the cheapest is about
      > > $10 a month.
      > > I am a bit confused at how all this works, so any suggestions would be
      > > appreciated. I do get a lot of hits on my site.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance Steve

    • KNHBRIST1
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2012
        Thank you all for your input, I have some time to investigate and still use my same website.
        Some info is over my head at the moment...LOL

        Thanks again to all the useful input

        Steve
      • KNHBRIST1
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2012
          I found webmatrix, sounds like it might help build a website, but not sure if all hosting sites accept it.
          Steve
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012

            Hello,

            Reports of my demise are not true.  I have a Davis Vantage Vue II station, and I have just added a webcam to my toys.  I cannot seem to get it active.  It has a name, but I have not been able to activate it so I can upload images.  It is a Logitec C 160, and it is connected to the computer.  The image quality is not great, but it does show what the weather is in front of my house.  Any ideas on activating it and uploading the images?  It is currently set to FTP.

            Thanks,

            Jeff Le Doux

            The Wilton WeatherGuy

            KMEWILTO1

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
              Hey Jeff, bee a while?
              What software are you using?

              Steve

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jefcled@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Reports of my demise are not true. I have a Davis Vantage Vue II station,
              > and I have just added a webcam to my toys. I cannot seem to get it active.
              > It has a name, but I have not been able to activate it so I can upload
              > images. It is a Logitec C 160, and it is connected to the computer. The
              > image quality is not great, but it does show what the weather is in front of
              > my house. Any ideas on activating it and uploading the images? It is
              > currently set to FTP.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jeff Le Doux
              >
              > The Wilton WeatherGuy
              >
              > KMEWILTO1

            • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012

                I am using the logitec softwate that came with the camera.  Main platform is Windows 7.  I am also using WUHU for the uploading to the Wunderground site.

                Jeff

              • KNHBRIST1
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
                  Jeff,
                  Just so we understand, Have you signed up at WU and rec'd your ID?
                  Do you have a picture showing up on the software?
                  Steve

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey C. Le Doux" <jefcled@...> wrote:

                  > I am using the logitec softwate that came with the camera. Main platform is
                  > Windows 7. I am also using WUHU for the uploading to the Wunderground site.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Don Lafferty
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
                    And as kind of a double check you know that WUHU has absolutely nothing to do with your webcam right?  You need to follow the directions here and in the Webcam Wiki.

                    Don