Re: Rain Total Error

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2012
      If you shut down HW, run WUHU in direct serial, there is a rain total button on the main screen that allows you to set the rain total to whatever you want.

      When you disable rainfall reporting, and you are running HW, you might wait for the HW software to re-write the currdat.LST file. This could take a couple of minutes depending on whether you are in wireless or wired mode.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ripvanbrown" <rascubalon@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Yes, I realize that I can go to direct serial mode instead of using the HW software, but I prefer the layout of HW to WUHU (no offense) and I like the history file. I like that the min/max values can be reset, which I do once a year, so that it holds min/max values for the current year. It also provides a bit of redundancy in the event of an error such as this.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Robert

      > > The HW software is the one that is over-writing the currdat.lst. I wanted to verify that it was being mis-reported by HW.
      > >
      > > It would be interesting to know if the console thinks that this is the rain total. Look on your display to see if this is the case and let me know.
      > >
      > > The easiest thing to do would be to use the HW software to reset the rain total. There is a button on the main screen of HW to do this.
      > >
      > > You do know that you do not need to run HW correct?
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ripvanbrown" <rascubalon@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The currdat.lst file showed 201.96 for rain total. I changed it to 15.45 (as well as the mm), saved the file, but the data in HW did not update immediately. I waited for the next console update (which I modified to 1 minute), but the currdat.lst data reverted back to 201.96. It would seem, then, that the console gets its data from another source and then feeds the console data to the currdat.lst file. If that is correct, then do I need to edit the file that feeds the console instead of the currdat.lst file?
      > > >
      > > > I also tried editing the currdat.lst both with HW running and without it running - allowing it to go through an update both times, and both ways still showed the console and currdat.lst file reflect 201.96 after a console update. I also did all of this with the Disable Rain Reporting in WUHU unchecked. I figured that if the currdat.lst file isn't holding the data I input for the rain total, it isn't going to update WUHU correctly either until that gets corrected.
      > > >
      > > > Do I need to clear the Rain Total from the HW Console first? I haven't yet, because I thought that by editing the currdat.lst file that it would update the Console, but again, it seems to be the other way around. And if I clear the Rain Total on the Console, won't this then update the currdat.lst file to 0.00 for rain total? How do I get the HW and WUHU to both reflect 15.45" for a rain total?
      > > >
      > > > Am I missing anything in the process? Should HW or WUHU be off or on while editing the currdat.lst file? If off, does one need to be restarted before the other?

    • don_wa5ngp
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
        I can verify that the console total (I have 2 receiver consoles one of which gets reported to wuhu) seems to never be correct. Must be some kind of bug in the console firmware. Maybe off by 10X?

        I have never figured out how to reset to zero the total in the console. Has anyone been able to do that? I know about hdwr reset and setup etc but I've never been successful in clearing that total on the console.

        Don
      • Don Lafferty
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
          Which station do you have Don?

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
            Does the console show the rain total?

            Maybe we can take a look at it this weekend.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
              As Don Lafferty asked, I will need your station console type (make/model).

              > Does the console show the rain total?
              >
              > Maybe we can take a look at it this weekend.
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "don_wa5ngp" <don_wa5ngp@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I can verify that the console total (I have 2 receiver consoles one of which gets reported to wuhu) seems to never be correct. Must be some kind of bug in the console firmware. Maybe off by 10X?
              > >
              > > I have never figured out how to reset to zero the total in the console. Has anyone been able to do that? I know about hdwr reset and setup etc but I've never been successful in clearing that total on the console.
              > >
              > > Don

            • don_wa5ngp
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                I take back my comments. Must have been operator error. Yesterday, I ran the wuhu software to zero out the grand total and it did it.
                It only shows .02 now, down from 70".

                The online reporting model is a 2316, the standalone model is a 2317. I've never been able to manually reset the total to 0.0 so I guess I'll connect the 2317 to my pc and have wuhu try to reset its rainfall total as well.

                Part of the erroneous data got in there when I had to clean the rain gauge. (spider webs). I'm going to add a switch to the gauge so I can turn it off while cleaning to avoid that problem in the future.

                sorry for erroneous post initially.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                  If are using direct serial mode, and the latest version, the Rain Total button on the left edge of the main screen can be used to reset the total.