Re: La Crosse WS-2812-IT w/ HWP 2800 has me stumped

  • Angel Figueroa
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
      I have a LaCrosee WS-2813 which is just like yours and have no problems with it. If you shut the computer off you will disconnect the USB adapter. Re-sync your unit.

      Sent from my iPhone 4S
    • angel figueroa
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
        Did you downloaded WUHU software?

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
          Just some additional data from another WS28xx user...

          When I don't have HWP running, HeavyWeatherService.exe is still running (started as a system service) and updating my currdat.lst every 30 minutes.  Now I'm curious why your's would update every 15 minutes but mine is every 30.

          After starting HWP up (and manually resync'ing w/ the console), currdat.lst is updated every 8 or so seconds.  I do have "hi-speed communication mode" enabled.

          Some info from La Crosse on what hi-speed mode is supposed to do:
          Hi Speed Communication Mode instructs the display to maintain high speed mode
          when Heavy Weather is open as the background application.  This feature must be
          enabled in Options (see illustration below).  Please be aware that display battery life
          is consumed at a significantly faster rate when this option is enabled.
          Note:  This option maintains data updates to the currdat.lst file for upload
          purposes when the HeavyWeather application is in background mode; it does not
          update the Current Weather Screen or the Data tab on screen until you resume
          foreground mode of Heavy Weather (select the HeavyWeather window to resume
          foreground).

          Gotta love working with mostly undocumented software -- thanks for that, La Crosse. :)

          -Chris

          On 12/28/2011 12:53 PM, George Allen wrote:

          All - thanks. Don - I'd prefer to toss HWP, but mine [I didn't buy
          it...] is a wireless console with no physical ports of any kind. The
          console talks to the PC by it's own proprietary wireless connection
          [not 802.11 wifi] using a usb stick that comes with the system. So
          I'm stuck w/ HWP. As for what updates what, I will have to mess
          around more. What's truly weird is that w/ HWP *not* running [just
          the service], the 15-min data within HWP *do* get updated but
          currdat.lst doesn't [iirc] - maybe the consol stores the 15-min data
          and dumps it when HWP is started. But...when I start HWP it can't
          see any console for a while [many minutes] but eventually does find
          it; the HWP internal 15-min data get updated even when HWP claims it
          has no console connection. Once HWP does find the console,
          currdat.lst is updated every 4 seconds -- doesn't seem to be a way to
          control that [???], and I'm not sure what if any avg. interval is
          written to the .dat file. Bizarre... and a pita.
          -- George
          _____________________

          Posted by: "wuhu_software" wuhu_software@... wuhu_software
          Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 am (PST)
          I believe that the service is the software that is actually updating
          the currdat.lst file. I have never heard that the currdat.lst file
          updates stop if you run the HW software. Is this true even after some
          period of time? Perhaps the HW software is using the service to
          download the history and after some time that operation would
          complete and currdat.lst updates would resume.

          ----------------------------------

          Posted by: "Don Lafferty" don@... laffert@...
          Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 pm (PST)
          My suggestion would be to throw HWP away and use WUHU in Serial mode. But
          that's just me.
          Don

        • George Allen
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2011
            Chris - thanks! Yesterday I had figured out that the updates to
            currdat.lst were ~4 sec w/ HWP in foreground, and ~1 min w/ it
            minimized. A while ago I enabled hi-speed mode when I wasn't getting
            anything, but that was when I thot that the HPW service would take
            care of 15-min currdat updates....which you note below it should. I
            disabled hi-speed mode in HWP shortly after and restarted/rebooted
            everything but still get 4-sec updates w/ HWP in foreground.

            What you describe below re: the service is what I expected. Perhaps
            I should try again. As for why 15min and not 30? My console setup
            is for 15-min. The HWP database has 15-min records in it. But I'm
            still confused. If the service updates currdat w/ou HWP running, why
            would the docs you note below talk about updates to currdat? [and
            where do you find the undocumented docs??] Seems redundant. Either
            way, I guess there's more fussing to be done. Sheesh. I might
            contact you off list if you don't mind as I sort thru all this.
            -- George

            Posted by: "Chris Mattingly" chris@...
            Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 pm (PST)
[...]

          • aaooapg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012
              I have a 2813, KTXTHEWO15 on WU and DW9277 on CWOP (still waiting to populate DW9277).

              I found a workaround for keeping HWP connected and updating to currdat.LST file while not in the foreground or having the window open. I'm using a program named AlwaysUp which turns the .exe into a service. HWP even stays active and writing to currdat.LST when the PC display times out after 15 mins of inactivity and the computer goes into password protected lock mode by running HWP in my Admin Account as oppsed to the Local Systems Account (setting in AU).

              Up and running for over 12 hours now with no connection issues to HWP or the 2813/WU/WUHU.

              Firedaemon is another program you could use. I'm not promoting either.

              Both programs cost $$$. So my question to WUHU???

              Is there any way to create this same type of service for HWP for free?

              Thanks for any info...

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
                The problem is that the service is the software that is handling the communication to the station. That protocol, over USB is not documented and not shared by La Crosse. La Crosse has never shared protocol information and until someone invests the time to reverse engineer it, no one will be directly communicating with these WS-28XX or later stations.

                You can try appealing to La Crosse. That is probably as effective as sending a letter to Santa at the North Pole for the next Christmas season.