La Crosse WS-2812-IT w/ HWP 2800 has me stumped

  • George Allen
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2011
      Hi all; I finally got around to using WUHU216_32_B20 with a La Crosse
      WS-2812-IT and Heavyweather Pro 2800 ver 1.54 [the current release]
      to upload data to CWOP.
      but my issues are well beyond the basics. I'm used to Davis wx
      software and CWOP uploads [DW2257/2258], but the La Crosse HWP pgm is
      junk and almost undocumented. The HWP software interface is horrid
      [did I say ugly too?].

      I can get data to upload to CWOP [DW9170], but only if HWP is "just
      so"; there are many strange things that I am clueless about. My goal
      is to get a CWOP upload a 15-min avg value every 15-min [900 sec],
      at/near the top of the 15-min interval [since my cwop id ends in 0
      this is what they like to spread the load around].

      I have the HWP "recording interval" set to 15 minutes, and indeed
      that's what shows up in the HWP 'current wx' "data" list in HWP - a
      record every 15 min on the quarter hour - that can be exported
      manually just fine. BUT the currdat.lst file is updating every 4[!]
      seconds. I can't find a way to change that. Under HWP options, the
      'keep wx station in hi-speed communications mode" is unchecked [altho
      I have no idea what that means].

      The 'heavyweatherservice' is running [the HWP installation did that],
      and the 'current wx' in HWP gets updated w/out HWP pro running. What
      is the HW-service supposed todo? For a while [earlier in my learning
      curve], it seemed that currdat.lst wouldn't update unless HWP pro
      **wasn't** running [and it wasn't updating every 4 secs either], but
      now I can't reproduce that.

      So.... does anyone know what controls what? I have no idea if I'm
      uploading 4-sec avg data to cwop or 15-min avg [what I want], but it
      is at least uploading 4x/hour as it should. I also can't get WUHU to
      upload on the quarter hour; it seems to start the 15-min upload
      cycle when WUHU is started [not sure here, but it seems randome at
      each WUHU restart].

      Any pointers for getting HWP and WUHU to act as a coherent team are
      greatly appreciated. WUHU is a great pgm!
      Thanks - George
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
        I believe that the service is the software that is actually updating the currdat.lst file. I have never heard that the currdat.lst file updates stop if you run the HW software. Is this true even after some period of time? Perhaps the HW software is using the service to download the history and after some time that operation would complete and currdat.lst updates would resume.

        There is no way to sync up CWOP uploads to the quarter hour. In fact the operators of CWOP want randomization in the uploads so that this does not happen. A few years ago their servers were being flooded because of this. The timing does begin as soon as the first upload occurs.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, George Allen <geo.allen@...> wrote:

        > Hi all; I finally got around to using WUHU216_32_B20 with a La Crosse
        > WS-2812-IT and Heavyweather Pro 2800 ver 1.54 [the current release]
        > to upload data to CWOP.
        > but my issues are well beyond the basics. I'm used to Davis wx
        > software and CWOP uploads [DW2257/2258], but the La Crosse HWP pgm is
        > junk and almost undocumented. The HWP software interface is horrid
        > [did I say ugly too?].
        >
        > I can get data to upload to CWOP [DW9170], but only if HWP is "just
        > so"; there are many strange things that I am clueless about. My goal
        > is to get a CWOP upload a 15-min avg value every 15-min [900 sec],
        > at/near the top of the 15-min interval [since my cwop id ends in 0
        > this is what they like to spread the load around].
        >
        > I have the HWP "recording interval" set to 15 minutes, and indeed
        > that's what shows up in the HWP 'current wx' "data" list in HWP - a
        > record every 15 min on the quarter hour - that can be exported
        > manually just fine. BUT the currdat.lst file is updating every 4[!]
        > seconds. I can't find a way to change that. Under HWP options, the
        > 'keep wx station in hi-speed communications mode" is unchecked [altho
        > I have no idea what that means].
        >
        > The 'heavyweatherservice' is running [the HWP installation did that],
        > and the 'current wx' in HWP gets updated w/out HWP pro running. What
        > is the HW-service supposed todo? For a while [earlier in my learning
        > curve], it seemed that currdat.lst wouldn't update unless HWP pro
        > **wasn't** running [and it wasn't updating every 4 secs either], but
        > now I can't reproduce that.
        >
        > So.... does anyone know what controls what? I have no idea if I'm
        > uploading 4-sec avg data to cwop or 15-min avg [what I want], but it
        > is at least uploading 4x/hour as it should. I also can't get WUHU to
        > upload on the quarter hour; it seems to start the 15-min upload
        > cycle when WUHU is started [not sure here, but it seems randome at
        > each WUHU restart].
        >
        > Any pointers for getting HWP and WUHU to act as a coherent team are
        > greatly appreciated. WUHU is a great pgm!
        > Thanks - George

      • George Allen
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
          All - thanks. Don - I'd prefer to toss HWP, but mine [I didn't buy
          it...] is a wireless console with no physical ports of any kind. The
          console talks to the PC by it's own proprietary wireless connection
          [not 802.11 wifi] using a usb stick that comes with the system. So
          I'm stuck w/ HWP. As for what updates what, I will have to mess
          around more. What's truly weird is that w/ HWP *not* running [just
          the service], the 15-min data within HWP *do* get updated but
          currdat.lst doesn't [iirc] - maybe the consol stores the 15-min data
          and dumps it when HWP is started. But...when I start HWP it can't
          see any console for a while [many minutes] but eventually does find
          it; the HWP internal 15-min data get updated even when HWP claims it
          has no console connection. Once HWP does find the console,
          currdat.lst is updated every 4 seconds -- doesn't seem to be a way to
          control that [???], and I'm not sure what if any avg. interval is
          written to the .dat file. Bizarre... and a pita.
          -- George
          _____________________

          Posted by: "wuhu_software" wuhu_software@... wuhu_software
          Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 am (PST)
          I believe that the service is the software that is actually updating
          the currdat.lst file. I have never heard that the currdat.lst file
          updates stop if you run the HW software. Is this true even after some
          period of time? Perhaps the HW software is using the service to
          download the history and after some time that operation would
          complete and currdat.lst updates would resume.

          ----------------------------------

          Posted by: "Don Lafferty" don@... laffert@...
          Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 pm (PST)
          My suggestion would be to throw HWP away and use WUHU in Serial mode. But
          that's just me.
          Don
        • Angel Figueroa
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
            I have a LaCrosee WS-2813 which is just like yours and have no problems with it. If you shut the computer off you will disconnect the USB adapter. Re-sync your unit.

            Sent from my iPhone 4S
          • angel figueroa
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
              Did you downloaded WUHU software?

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
                Just some additional data from another WS28xx user...

                When I don't have HWP running, HeavyWeatherService.exe is still running (started as a system service) and updating my currdat.lst every 30 minutes.  Now I'm curious why your's would update every 15 minutes but mine is every 30.

                After starting HWP up (and manually resync'ing w/ the console), currdat.lst is updated every 8 or so seconds.  I do have "hi-speed communication mode" enabled.

                Some info from La Crosse on what hi-speed mode is supposed to do:
                Hi Speed Communication Mode instructs the display to maintain high speed mode
                when Heavy Weather is open as the background application.  This feature must be
                enabled in Options (see illustration below).  Please be aware that display battery life
                is consumed at a significantly faster rate when this option is enabled.
                Note:  This option maintains data updates to the currdat.lst file for upload
                purposes when the HeavyWeather application is in background mode; it does not
                update the Current Weather Screen or the Data tab on screen until you resume
                foreground mode of Heavy Weather (select the HeavyWeather window to resume
                foreground).

                Gotta love working with mostly undocumented software -- thanks for that, La Crosse. :)

                -Chris

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 29, 2011
                  Chris - thanks! Yesterday I had figured out that the updates to
                  currdat.lst were ~4 sec w/ HWP in foreground, and ~1 min w/ it
                  minimized. A while ago I enabled hi-speed mode when I wasn't getting
                  anything, but that was when I thot that the HPW service would take
                  care of 15-min currdat updates....which you note below it should. I
                  disabled hi-speed mode in HWP shortly after and restarted/rebooted
                  everything but still get 4-sec updates w/ HWP in foreground.

                  What you describe below re: the service is what I expected. Perhaps
                  I should try again. As for why 15min and not 30? My console setup
                  is for 15-min. The HWP database has 15-min records in it. But I'm
                  still confused. If the service updates currdat w/ou HWP running, why
                  would the docs you note below talk about updates to currdat? [and
                  where do you find the undocumented docs??] Seems redundant. Either
                  way, I guess there's more fussing to be done. Sheesh. I might
                  contact you off list if you don't mind as I sort thru all this.
                  -- George

                  Posted by: "Chris Mattingly" chris@...
                  Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 pm (PST)
[...]

                • aaooapg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012
                    I have a 2813, KTXTHEWO15 on WU and DW9277 on CWOP (still waiting to populate DW9277).

                    I found a workaround for keeping HWP connected and updating to currdat.LST file while not in the foreground or having the window open. I'm using a program named AlwaysUp which turns the .exe into a service. HWP even stays active and writing to currdat.LST when the PC display times out after 15 mins of inactivity and the computer goes into password protected lock mode by running HWP in my Admin Account as oppsed to the Local Systems Account (setting in AU).

                    Up and running for over 12 hours now with no connection issues to HWP or the 2813/WU/WUHU.

                    Firedaemon is another program you could use. I'm not promoting either.

                    Both programs cost $$$. So my question to WUHU???

                    Is there any way to create this same type of service for HWP for free?

                    Thanks for any info...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
                      The problem is that the service is the software that is handling the communication to the station. That protocol, over USB is not documented and not shared by La Crosse. La Crosse has never shared protocol information and until someone invests the time to reverse engineer it, no one will be directly communicating with these WS-28XX or later stations.

                      You can try appealing to La Crosse. That is probably as effective as sending a letter to Santa at the North Pole for the next Christmas season.