Re: WeatherCam?

  • Jac and Ginny
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 17, 2011
      How do you weather proof it. Is not this camera just a normal webcam?
      Thanks

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...> wrote:

      > On 12/17/11 6:59 AM, marcelcanine wrote:
      > >
      > > My opnion NO. How are you going to power it and how are you going to
      > > get the pictures to your computer? Looks like you would have to use a
      > > USB cable which have a limited length.
      > >

      > I use a Logitech C510 camera mounted on an old TV antenna mast on
      > the roof. I power the camera through the netbook USB. I have an
      > adapter that allows the camera USB to connect to a network cable (75
      > feet) then converts it back to USB at the computer.
      >
      > OK, I was able to find the receipt. The adapter was purchased from
      > Network Technologies Inc., the adapter is listed as "USB-C5-LC".
      > http://www.networktechinc.com/usbc5.html The one I bought is the $29
      > model, the price has dropped since I bought mine last spring.
      >

      > *Bob Tyszka
      > California City, CA
      > CW9012 / KCACALIF5
      > *
      >
      > Click for California City, California Forecast
      > <http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/California_City.html?bannertypeclick=bigwx>

    • Bob Tyszka
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 17, 2011
        On 12/17/11 12:46 PM, John & Julie Festerling wrote:

        Is Conquer Cam free?  It looks like it will have "evaluation" across the screen?

        John
        Home Office of the Festerlings

            Conquer Cam is shareware.  You can download it and use for free, but an Evaluation Copy tag pops up about once an hour I guess.  I really should register.  It has been working good for me.

            At first I thought I had a problem, the images would stop uploading or the last image kept uploading all day long.  I tried several programs with similar results.  Now it looks like it is the camera that is causing the problem because Conquer Cam seems to work all day.  So now about once a day I shut down Conquer Cam, unplug the camera, plug the camera into a different port and restart ConquerCam.  I will also have to try and see if I can remote in and fix the problem from work.

        --

        Bob Tyszka
        California City, CA
        CW9012 / KCACALIF5

        Click
for California City, California Forecast

      • KNHBRIST1
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 17, 2011
          In addition to ConquerCam, ContaCam and Where'sJames are free.
          I have tried all three and Contacam & ConquerCam seem to be more reliable to me, followed closely by Where's James.
          By reliable I mean that I can run them for at least a week before they may freeze up. ContaCam & ConquerCam I have run in excess of 10 days straight, Where's James seems to last about a week for me.
          Steve

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...> wrote:

          > On 12/17/11 12:46 PM, John & Julie Festerling wrote:
          > >
          > > Is Conquer Cam free? It looks like it will have "evaluation" across
          > > the screen?
          > > John
          > > Home Office of the Festerlings
          > > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org
          > >
          > Conquer Cam is shareware. You can download it and use for free,
          > but an Evaluation Copy tag pops up about once an hour I guess. I really
          > should register. It has been working good for me.
          >
          > At first I thought I had a problem, the images would stop uploading
          > or the last image kept uploading all day long. I tried several programs
          > with similar results. Now it looks like it is the camera that is
          > causing the problem because Conquer Cam seems to work all day. So now
          > about once a day I shut down Conquer Cam, unplug the camera, plug the
          > camera into a different port and restart ConquerCam. I will also have
          > to try and see if I can remote in and fix the problem from work.
          >
          > --
          >
          > *Bob Tyszka
          > California City, CA
          > CW9012 / KCACALIF5
          > *
          >
          > Click for California City, California Forecast
          > <http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/California_City.html?bannertypeclick=bigwx>

        • Don Lafferty
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 17, 2011
            I've run ConquerCam for many weeks without rebooting and I do it on my main computer which I use every day for all kinds of different tasks (including WUHU and WUHU Tweet).

            I tried WheresJames and found it to be not as user friendly as I would like but of course your mileage may vary.  I also tried ContaCam and found it to be a bit more than I needed.

            I think they are all good and will do the job for you.  Try one and if you don't like it try the next.

            Don

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
              On 12/17/11 2:25 PM, Jac and Ginny wrote:

              How do you weather proof it. Is not this camera just a normal webcam?
              Thanks

                  I bought a weather proof camera enclosure.  This is one for security cameras, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689918-REG/ARM_Electronics_OCH3_Cable_Management_Housing.html.

                  The summer temps in the desert are in the triple digit range, so I added two small solar panels from
              Harbor Freight to power the blower.  The housing also allows room for the USB adapter.  Make sure to turn off the "On Air" light or you will get a reflection from the housing window.

              --

              Bob Tyszka
              California City, CA
              CW9012 / KCACALIF5

              Click
for California City, California Forecast

            • Dimitris
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 21, 2011
                É use a usb weather webcamera logitech pro 9000

                http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams/devices/webcam-pro-9000

                I use 10 meters (5+5 meters) usb booster

                http://www.datapro.net/products/usb-active-booster-extension-cable.html

                I have make DIY housing enclosure

                http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/project_waterproof-web-camera-box.html

                And the results,a everyday timelapse video

                http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/video.html

                My opinion the logitech pro 9000 is a great webcamera with 2 MP analysis

                Best regards from Greece
                Dimitris