Re: 10 minute gust and speed and gust tweak

  • gb2580
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2011

      > I am not quite sure what you are seeing. If WUHU is communicating with the station, the gust field (on the left column of stats only) represents the highest gust over the past 10 minutes. If you have a WS-23XX station, there is no gust field so the gust is the highest normal wind speed over 10 minutes. Some stations like the Davis do report a separate gust and wind speed value. In this case, gust is the highest gust value over the past 10 minutes reported by the station.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gb2580" <gb2580@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I currently use VWS which creates a csv file to WUHU every 2 seconds.My wind gust is set to max speed in database update period which is ten minutes.When i look at the csv file the 10 minute gust doesnt match WUHU main screen current gust.Wuhu seems to be displaying the gust prior to 10min past.Is that how wind gust past 10 minutes is calculated.I thought you would monitor past ten minutes reset to zero and start the next ten minutes.My csv file sends a wind speed and a wind gust.Does WUHU just look at the speed in the file.There are two tweaks for speed and gust yet you can't make them different gains.Seems the highest gain prevails.Could the VWS csv file be wrong.I'm a bit confused.
      > > Thank you.

      i understand now about ten minute gust.VWS sends gust at 0,10,20,30,40,50,every time.WUHU seems to send data to CWOP at 0,10,20,30,40,50,1,11,21,31,41,51,12,22,32....so WUHU gust wont match what VWS is sending.I can change the way VWS calculates gust and period.i dont think it really matters.BTW i have a DAVIS WxMonitorII that sends datan trru datalogger to VWS which then creates a csv file every two seconds that is sent to WUHU.Great setup and WUHU is great software.
      Thank you
    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2011
        i understand now about ten minute gust.VWS sends gust at 0,10,20,30,40,50,every time.WUHU seems to send data to CWOP at 0,10,20,30,40,50,1,11,21,31,41,51,12,22,32....so WUHU gust wont match what VWS is sending.I can change the way VWS calculates gust and period.i dont think it really matters.BTW i have a DAVIS WxMonitorII that sends datan trru datalogger to VWS which then creates a csv file every two seconds that is sent to WUHU.Great setup and WUHU is great software.
        Thank you

        I run sorta the same setup, had the same problems.   My station is 2810 not a davis but the setup should still work for you.

        My solution was to put WUHU in front of VWS.    WUHU collects directly from the station, and does the uploading to WU etc... and VWS reads the heavyweather files then produces the graphs etc.

        Then VWS reads the currdat.lst that wuhu produces. I found that you have far greater reliability with WUHU doing the collecting than VWS.

        Setup:

        Inside the vws directory, rename the hw.exe to hw.old , (or if it doesn't exist just)  copy in it's place notepad.exe and rename it to hw.exe  (In this config, VWS requires that Heavyweather runs it will auto launch it.  This is to trick VWS into thinking Heavyweather is running, but in fact it is just notepad)

        Configure VWS as a LaCrosse WS-2xxx Series.

        Configure WUHU to directly connect to the serial port.  Set it up as your Davis.

        Yours is going to be the Davis here.  Important part is output the currdat.lst so that VWS can read it.

        Start WUHU, then VWS, and away you go.

        -John