[wuhu_software_group] Re: suggestions on purchase of new weather station-attention RICH ALLEN

  • John & Julie Festerling
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2011
      Ok, so the Datalogger is HARDWARE with weatherlink software.  I found a diagram...there is SOME kind of connection to plug the datalogger into the console...looks like it is in the battery housing....and the other end goes into the PC.

      READ BELOW...now my question on VIRTUAL WEATHER STATION....as I have copied from the website...for the DAVIS VAntage VUE (in BLue).....  it says you could use the Virtual Weather Station to do the same as the WEATHERLINK datalogger?(second paragraph)

      It does say ADD the VWS but why add it if the weatherlink does the work already...so my thinking is...can VIRTUAL WEATHER STATION do it instead?  WHy would you use both?

      ANYONE????

      Davis Instruments 6510SER Serial WeatherLink For VantagePro, VantagePro2 and Vantage Vue (low price quote) w/ Free Virtual Weather Station (low price quote)

      For the ultimate in weather monitoring, add WeatherLink to your Vantage Pro. The WeatherLink data logger fits neatly into the Vantage Pro console, storing your weather data even when the computer is off. Transfer data to your PC whenever you like, then use the WeatherLink software to create graphs, generate summaries, and more.

      Add Virtual Weather Station Internet Edition, the most popular choice for connecting your weather station to your computer and the Internet, and FREE Weather Exchange, the world's largest public network of weather station owners (requires Internet version to post data live).

      Home Office of the Festerlings

      Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2011
        Everything you said I agree with 100%.  You gave me a very complete response.  My question to the AMbient people is, "why do you try to sell the Weatherlink datalogger AND the Virtual Weather station in the same breath?"  They claim to do about the same thing...but one won't work without the other...but you really don't need one of them.

        Thanks again Rich!!

        John

        Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
          They make a lot of money selling Virtual Weather Station (VWS). I've looked at the weatherlink descriptions on other weather station sale sites, and none of their descriptions are not very good.

          Weatherlink software will upload data to the internet. It's not as fancy with displays as VWS is. Many people like the features of VWS and purchase it as well and then they don't run weatherlink.

          Personally, I upload the data from my Davis VP2 using WUHU. I have weatherlink installed, but I only run it once per month to download the collected data and then save that file as a backup (That is totally unnecessary, but it's what I like to do.)

          Therefore, the bottom line is that you have to buy the datalogger which will come with the weatherlink disc. You can use the disc or not. You can buy VWS in addition to that if you want to. Or, you can use WUHU for free (and I like free!). But you have to buy the datalogger to connect the console to your PC.

          Good Luck!