Re: [wuhu_software_group] LaCrosse WS-2310-twc sensor port pinout

  • John Liss
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
      There is also:
      http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/lacrosse-specific-information

      On 11/3/2011 1:37 PM, David Lipper wrote: You may want to look at this posr:

      On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM, mcf3782 <montef@...> wrote:

      Hello group,

      I came across this group doing some google searching. My question isn't strictly Weather Underground related, so I apologize for being somewhat off-topic.

      I have a LaCrosse WS-2310. It's the one that's branded with The Weather Channel logo on it. I've had it for years, and it's worked great up until about the beginning of this year (2011). Batteries in the outside sensor used to last 18 to 24 months. Now I'm lucky if I get a month and a half out of a set. I've always used the wireless mode to read my outside wind/temp/humidity/rain sensor.

      My display unit isn't in a spot that I can easily get a cable between the display and the outside sensor. Since I'm getting tired of climbing up on a ladder once a month to change batteries, I'd like to power the sensor another way.

      The documentation suggests that if there is a cable between the display unit and the outside sensor unit, that the sensor unit will draw power from the display.

      Does anyone have a pinout of the port on the sensor pack? I'd like to try building a cable to plug into that port that *just* supplies power; and see if it will continue to send data back to the display wirelessly.

      Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered. I did search around in the archived messages before I asked; but didn't find anything.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      -Monte

    • Monte Freeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
        Wow. Another great reference.
        Thanks, John!
        I love how helpful so many people on the Net are. :-)
        I had no idea there were that many mods available for this weather station. This could keep me busy all winter. :)

        Thanks again!

           -Monte

        Sent from my iPhone 4

[...]

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
          I have a WS-2316, which looks like it has a similar external unit as the WS-2310, that
          being the case, I believe If you try and power the external unit from the RJ11 socket
          on the unit, the unit will think it's in wired mode.

          What I did was solder a cable from a power-module that I built (solar-panel /w battery
          backup) directly to the battery contacts on the external unit. There is a possible
          workaround to the wired play, in that you'll need to modify the circuit board on the
          external unit, so I' told.

          Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

          -Mike