LaCrosse WS-2310-twc sensor port pinout

  • mcf3782
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hello group,

      I came across this group doing some google searching. My question isn't strictly Weather Underground related, so I apologize for being somewhat off-topic.

      I have a LaCrosse WS-2310. It's the one that's branded with The Weather Channel logo on it. I've had it for years, and it's worked great up until about the beginning of this year (2011). Batteries in the outside sensor used to last 18 to 24 months. Now I'm lucky if I get a month and a half out of a set. I've always used the wireless mode to read my outside wind/temp/humidity/rain sensor.

      My display unit isn't in a spot that I can easily get a cable between the display and the outside sensor. Since I'm getting tired of climbing up on a ladder once a month to change batteries, I'd like to power the sensor another way.

      The documentation suggests that if there is a cable between the display unit and the outside sensor unit, that the sensor unit will draw power from the display.

      Does anyone have a pinout of the port on the sensor pack? I'd like to try building a cable to plug into that port that *just* supplies power; and see if it will continue to send data back to the display wirelessly.

      Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered. I did search around in the archived messages before I asked; but didn't find anything.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      -Monte
    • David Lipper

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
          Monte You need to replace the outside Sensor I just had one go bad doing the same thing eating batteries in shorter and shorter periods of time. It started a few days after a storm with some severe lightning Dunno if it got hit or what but I too am wireless, the outside sensor isn't that expensive. I have had mine for many years.
          It suddenly just DIED left me no choice but to replace it.

          Rick
          KOHWAPAK1

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mcf3782" <montef@...> wrote:

          > Hello group,
          >
          > I came across this group doing some google searching. My question isn't strictly Weather Underground related, so I apologize for being somewhat off-topic.
          >
          > I have a LaCrosse WS-2310. It's the one that's branded with The Weather Channel logo on it. I've had it for years, and it's worked great up until about the beginning of this year (2011). Batteries in the outside sensor used to last 18 to 24 months. Now I'm lucky if I get a month and a half out of a set. I've always used the wireless mode to read my outside wind/temp/humidity/rain sensor.
          >
          > My display unit isn't in a spot that I can easily get a cable between the display and the outside sensor. Since I'm getting tired of climbing up on a ladder once a month to change batteries, I'd like to power the sensor another way.
          >
          > The documentation suggests that if there is a cable between the display unit and the outside sensor unit, that the sensor unit will draw power from the display.
          >
          > Does anyone have a pinout of the port on the sensor pack? I'd like to try building a cable to plug into that port that *just* supplies power; and see if it will continue to send data back to the display wirelessly.
          >
          > Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered. I did search around in the archived messages before I asked; but didn't find anything.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > -Monte

        • monte freeman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
            Good to know, Rick.  Do you remember where you ordered your replacement from?
            Mine still sends all the data. It just eats batteries like candy.

            Someone else pointed me to a thread about supplying external power. Maybe I can do that while I'm waiting for a new sensor to arrive.

            Much thanks for the reply!

            On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Rick <cfr301@...> wrote:

            Monte You need to replace the outside Sensor I just had one go bad doing the same thing eating batteries in shorter and shorter periods of time. It started a few days after a storm with some severe lightning Dunno if it got hit or what but I too am wireless, the outside sensor isn't that expensive. I have had mine for many years.
            It suddenly just DIED left me no choice but to replace it.

            Rick
            KOHWAPAK1

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mcf3782" <montef@...> wrote:

            > Hello group,
            >
            > I came across this group doing some google searching. My question isn't strictly Weather Underground related, so I apologize for being somewhat off-topic.
            >
            > I have a LaCrosse WS-2310. It's the one that's branded with The Weather Channel logo on it. I've had it for years, and it's worked great up until about the beginning of this year (2011). Batteries in the outside sensor used to last 18 to 24 months. Now I'm lucky if I get a month and a half out of a set. I've always used the wireless mode to read my outside wind/temp/humidity/rain sensor.
            >
            > My display unit isn't in a spot that I can easily get a cable between the display and the outside sensor. Since I'm getting tired of climbing up on a ladder once a month to change batteries, I'd like to power the sensor another way.
            >
            > The documentation suggests that if there is a cable between the display unit and the outside sensor unit, that the sensor unit will draw power from the display.
            >
            > Does anyone have a pinout of the port on the sensor pack? I'd like to try building a cable to plug into that port that *just* supplies power; and see if it will continue to send data back to the display wirelessly.
            >
            > Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered. I did search around in the archived messages before I asked; but didn't find anything.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > -Monte

          • John Liss

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
                Wow. Another great reference.
                Thanks, John!
                I love how helpful so many people on the Net are. :-)
                I had no idea there were that many mods available for this weather station. This could keep me busy all winter. :)

                Thanks again!

                   -Monte

                Sent from my iPhone 4

[...]

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
                  I have a WS-2316, which looks like it has a similar external unit as the WS-2310, that
                  being the case, I believe If you try and power the external unit from the RJ11 socket
                  on the unit, the unit will think it's in wired mode.

                  What I did was solder a cable from a power-module that I built (solar-panel /w battery
                  backup) directly to the battery contacts on the external unit. There is a possible
                  workaround to the wired play, in that you'll need to modify the circuit board on the
                  external unit, so I' told.

                  Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

                  -Mike