[wuhu_software_group] suggestions on purchase of new weather station

  • John & Julie Festerling
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
      I plan to purchase a weather station for our school.  I would like to stay in the $300-350 range.  Could anyone suggest a good model?  Something I am looking for is that it has very near to real-time reporting.  I want it to publish on the web such as WU.  I also hope to be completely wireless from the roof-top unit to the console in the building.  Is solar good? (no batteries to change?-or do they not last?)

      Any help will be appreciated.

      John

      Home Office of the Festerlings

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
        Looks like a land where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

        Davis is certainly one obvious choice for the price range.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John & Julie Festerling" <jfesterling@...> wrote:

        > I plan to purchase a weather station for our school. I would like to stay in the $300-350 range. Could anyone suggest a good model? Something I am looking for is that it has very near to real-time reporting. I want it to publish on the web such as WU. I also hope to be completely wireless from the roof-top unit to the console in the building. Is solar good? (no batteries to change?-or do they not last?)
        >
        > Any help will be appreciated.
        >
        > John
        >
        > Home Office of the Festerlings
        >
        > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org

      • Don Lafferty
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
          Seems to be on the low end of the Davis range.  But you can never go wrong getting a Davis.

          I like the Oregon Scientific but it's actually quite a bit lower than what you're willing to spend.

          Seems for a school it would be best to get a Davis if there's any way.

          Don

          On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Ken <yahoo@...> wrote:

          Looks like a land where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

          Davis is certainly one obvious choice for the price range.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John & Julie Festerling" <jfesterling@...> wrote:

          > I plan to purchase a weather station for our school. I would like to stay in the $300-350 range. Could anyone suggest a good model? Something I am looking for is that it has very near to real-time reporting. I want it to publish on the web such as WU. I also hope to be completely wireless from the roof-top unit to the console in the building. Is solar good? (no batteries to change?-or do they not last?)
          >
          > Any help will be appreciated.
          >
          > John
          >
          > Home Office of the Festerlings
          >
          > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org

        • Shawn Parker
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
            I love my Davis Vantage Vue!

            On 10/31/2011 10:08 AM, Don Lafferty wrote:

            > Seems to be on the low end of the Davis range. But you can never go
            > wrong getting a Davis.
            >

            > I like the Oregon Scientific but it's actually quite a bit lower than
            > what you're willing to spend.
            >
            > Seems for a school it would be best to get a Davis if there's any way.
            >
            > Don
            >
            > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Ken <yahoo@...
            > <mailto:yahoo@...>> wrote:
            >
            > Looks like a land where all the women are strong, all the men are
            > good looking, and all the children are above average.
            >
            > Davis is certainly one obvious choice for the price range.

            > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "John & Julie
            > Festerling" <jfesterling@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I plan to purchase a weather station for our school. I would
            > like to stay in the $300-350 range. Could anyone suggest a good
            > model? Something I am looking for is that it has very near to
            > real-time reporting. I want it to publish on the web such as WU. I
            > also hope to be completely wireless from the roof-top unit to the
            > console in the building. Is solar good? (no batteries to
            > change?-or do they not last?)
            > >
            > > Any help will be appreciated.
            > >
            > > John
            > >
            > > Home Office of the Festerlings
            > >
            > > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org
            > >

            > --
            > making something that doesn't suck.

          • KNHBRIST1
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
              John,
              I have set up 2 WMR-968 in our local schools. Wireless and they both work very well and very few problems. One has been in place for 3-4 years, the other 2 years.
              Of course I use WUHU software for them....
              Steve

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
                You should be able to get a WMR-968 for around $200 or less.  That's what I paid for mine over a year ago.

                Don

                On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                John,
                I have set up 2 WMR-968 in our local schools. Wireless and they both work very well and very few problems. One has been in place for 3-4 years, the other 2 years.
                Of course I use WUHU software for them....
                Steve

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John & Julie Festerling" <jfesterling@...> wrote:

                > I plan to purchase a weather station for our school. I would like to stay in the $300-350 range. Could anyone suggest a good model? Something I am looking for is that it has very near to real-time reporting. I want it to publish on the web such as WU. I also hope to be completely wireless from the roof-top unit to the console in the building. Is solar good? (no batteries to change?-or do they not last?)
                >
                > Any help will be appreciated.
                >
                > John
                >
                > Home Office of the Festerlings
                >
                > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org

              • fish_water_black
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                  I recently bought the La Crosse WS-2812U-IT February of this year. So far I haven't had any issues other than with my 2003 Compaq Presario. The station is totally wireless and the batteries are holding up very well. The wind sensor is battery powered but has a solar panel that either powers it during the day or recharges the batteries. I got this PWS as I can get the software, it already has the computer link and is to replace the Davis WM2.

                  I also have a working wired Davis Weather Monitor II, still in use today. But I had issues with the Temp/Humidity sensor failing often. Couldn't measure outdoor humidity & dew point. Each sensor cost me $35 to get fixed and $200 to replace if the sensor couldn't be fixed any more. Plus it would have cost me another $165 for the data logger/computer link. I've already at the time spend $450 for the weather station, plus $75 for the passive aspirated radiation shield, $95 for the heater that goes into the rain collector and $125 for the sensor spike arrestor. I was already over my head in costs that I couldn't afford the Data Logger.

                  The La Crosse WS-2812U-IT does everything I was hoping the Davis WM2 would do and then some. Plus it cost me allot less and there are no wires to run through the walls. I have metal siding and roof which worried me it this station would work. but so far it's been working fine.

                  KMIGRAND51
                  DW8116

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                    Thanks for all the advice.  fishwaterblack..to you...the data logger thing is the one that bothers me..do you NEED it to connect your weather station to your computer?  Do you need the Virtual WEather STation to publish to the internet?

                    I have an AMbient WS 1090 at home and don't have or need either of those and I publish to weatherbug and to WUHU.

                    You might ask, why don't you get another one of the ws 1090?  My thinking is to get something a little better for our school.  That is why I was looking at the Davis 6250.  Also, it claims wireless to 1000 feet.  That may be needed/a plus at our school. I hope to mount the unit on the roof of the gym.

                    Thanks also for the comment on the solar/battery idea.  My main concern is...Ok, solar means I don't have to replace batteries up on the roof, but if the solar wears out(does it?) then what do I do.  Now you mention the solar charges internal batteries for use when no sun..so that is good.

                    Thanks in advance for any other input from anyone?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
                      My only input would be that the Davis VP2 requires very little maintenance, is accurate, has the fastest update rates, and the wireless range cannot be beat. While you are paying a premium up front for the station and logger, I believe it pays off in the end.

                      You can also add additional sensors like solar radiation, UV, and remote temperature probes, soil sensors, and leaf wetness sensors.

                      If you do want the solar data, it is best to buy the ISS with the sensors already included in a package deal rather than trying to add them later.

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John & Julie Festerling" <jfesterling@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for all the advice. fishwaterblack..to you...the data logger thing is the one that bothers me..do you NEED it to connect your weather station to your computer? Do you need the Virtual WEather STation to publish to the internet?
                      >
                      > I have an AMbient WS 1090 at home and don't have or need either of those and I publish to weatherbug and to WUHU.
                      >
                      > You might ask, why don't you get another one of the ws 1090? My thinking is to get something a little better for our school. That is why I was looking at the Davis 6250. Also, it claims wireless to 1000 feet. That may be needed/a plus at our school. I hope to mount the unit on the roof of the gym.
                      >

                      > Thanks also for the comment on the solar/battery idea. My main concern is...Ok, solar means I don't have to replace batteries up on the roof, but if the solar wears out(does it?) then what do I do. Now you mention the solar charges internal batteries for use when no sun..so that is good.
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance for any other input from anyone?
                      >
                      > John
                      > Home Office of the Festerlings
                      >
                      > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org

                    • Radu Eugen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
                        I totally agree with this even though I only have 2 La Crosse, the cheapest, weather stations.
                        If my budget will allow it I would definitely go for a VP2 with all the sensors.
                        Considering the price and what it has to offer it is the best solution for a passionate amateur meteorologist.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
                          What I'm using is called a transiever. It plugs into one of my USB ports on my PC. It transmits and receives the data that way. And I am using the Weather Underground/Heavy Weather uploader tool to upload the data to Weather Underground and Citizen Weather Observer Program.

                          However, I made a big boo-boo. I installed an Earthlink software (CD) with the theory of having a back-up dial-up service if my current dial-up ISP fails again. Problem is Earthlink re-configured allot of of my programs including WUHU. Now after completely removing Earthlink, I have a real mess to try and fix. :(

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John & Julie Festerling" <jfesterling@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for all the advice. fishwaterblack..to you...the data logger thing is the one that bothers me..do you NEED it to connect your weather station to your computer? Do you need the Virtual WEather STation to publish to the internet?
                          >
                          > I have an AMbient WS 1090 at home and don't have or need either of those and I publish to weatherbug and to WUHU.
                          >
                          > You might ask, why don't you get another one of the ws 1090? My thinking is to get something a little better for our school. That is why I was looking at the Davis 6250. Also, it claims wireless to 1000 feet. That may be needed/a plus at our school. I hope to mount the unit on the roof of the gym.
                          >

                          > Thanks also for the comment on the solar/battery idea. My main concern is...Ok, solar means I don't have to replace batteries up on the roof, but if the solar wears out(does it?) then what do I do. Now you mention the solar charges internal batteries for use when no sun..so that is good.
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance for any other input from anyone?
                          >
                          > John
                          > Home Office of the Festerlings
                          >
                          > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org

                        • Jaye Ellen Burke
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                            Might I suggest you attempt to restore your system to some date prior to the Earthlink fiasco?  It might be a system saver ...

                            Jaye Ellen, KTNGALLA2

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                              I am thankful for all the advice I have read here. BUT-

                              I would like a couple of easy answers for a couple of questions.

                              If I buy the Davis 6250, (Vantage Vue)is there any way to publish to the internet (WeatherUnderground for instance) without buying the VIRTUAL WEATHER STATION or the WEATHERLINK SOFTWARE?

                              I don't need it for my AMBIENT WS 1090 at home?!?

                              John

                              Home Office of the Festerlings

                              > Thanks for all the advice. fishwaterblack..to you...the data logger thing is the one that bothers me..do you NEED it to connect your weather station to your computer? Do you need the Virtual WEather STation to publish to the internet?
                              >
                              > I have an AMbient WS 1090 at home and don't have or need either of those and I publish to weatherbug and to WUHU.
                              >
                              > You might ask, why don't you get another one of the ws 1090? My thinking is to get something a little better for our school. That is why I was looking at the Davis 6250. Also, it claims wireless to 1000 feet. That may be needed/a plus at our school. I hope to mount the unit on the roof of the gym.
                              >

                              > Thanks also for the comment on the solar/battery idea. My main concern is...Ok, solar means I don't have to replace batteries up on the roof, but if the solar wears out(does it?) then what do I do. Now you mention the solar charges internal batteries for use when no sun..so that is good.
                              >
                              > Thanks in advance for any other input from anyone?
                              >
                              > John
                              > Home Office of the Festerlings
                              >
                              > http://christlutheran-marshallmn.org

                            • Rich Allen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                                The WeatherLink data logger is the only way to connect the 6250 to a PC, the weather station doesn't come with a connector and it's not just a simple usb or serial cable.  The WeatherLink software is included with the hardware, there's no other option.