Re: [wuhu_software_group] Solar Power to replace battery

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2011
      From my earlier post:

      I just picked up a couple of Oregon Scientific STR938 solar units from a surplus
      store - price was right to play ($5).

      I'm thinking I can connect one of the STR938 units to the WS-23xx thermo-
      hydro
      sensor to power it. The STR938 unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2
      regular
      back-up AA Alkaline batteries - won't need the 433Mhz radio

      Output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) appears to be 3.67v, so I don't
      see why
      I can't connect the STR938 power out to the WS-23xx hydro-thermal sensor
      (sans it's batteries).

      I successfully hard wired a connection from the internal STR938 RJ11 connection to
      the battery terminals of the WS-2316 hydro/thermal unit. Been running for several
      months.

      If you need more details don't hesitate to ask.

      -Mike

      > I have a La Crosse wireless weather station WS-2310, and I'm
      > interested in replacing the
      > AA batteries on the outdoor sensor with rechargables and a solar
      > charger.
      >
      > Has anyone in the group done this successfully? Any advice would be
      > appreciated. Thanks
      > also for the great information posted here.
      >
      > DGB

    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2011
        Mike:  Was the surplus store an internet outlet and if so can you provide the URL?

        Thanks
        Don

        On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Mike <mike.a.p@...> wrote:

        From my earlier post:

        I just picked up a couple of Oregon Scientific STR938 solar units from a surplus
        store - price was right to play ($5).

        I'm thinking I can connect one of the STR938 units to the WS-23xx thermo-
        hydro
        sensor to power it. The STR938 unit has a solar panel, a Ni-MH battery and 2
        regular
        back-up AA Alkaline batteries - won't need the 433Mhz radio

        Output from the (STR938) internal RJ11 (6-pin) appears to be 3.67v, so I don't
        see why
        I can't connect the STR938 power out to the WS-23xx hydro-thermal sensor
        (sans it's batteries).

        I successfully hard wired a connection from the internal STR938 RJ11 connection to
        the battery terminals of the WS-2316 hydro/thermal unit. Been running for several
        months.

        If you need more details don't hesitate to ask.

        -Mike

        > I have a La Crosse wireless weather station WS-2310, and I'm
        > interested in replacing the
        > AA batteries on the outdoor sensor with rechargables and a solar
        > charger.
        >
        > Has anyone in the group done this successfully? Any advice would be
        > appreciated. Thanks
        > also for the great information posted here.
        >
        > DGB

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2011
          Here's the link to the store: http://www.surplusgizmos.com/

          Don't know if they still carry the OS units.

          -Mike