Re: Upload to Weather Underground stop

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011
      One of the first things that I would check on that setup is to make sure that the clock on the PC and the clock on the console are set closely together (within 1 or 2 minutes). These La Crosse consoles will attempt to receive the WWVB radio time signal from 12am to 6 or 7am and will not respond to requests during that time. When the clocks match up, these errors are ignored.

      There is a difference between communication errors and when the console returns bogus data. If the console fails to respond after 3 tries, and error is declared an it is posted in to the log.

      If bogus data is returned on the other hand, there are routines to detect and correct this. For example, if it is 70F outside and the console then returns say a 30F, the readings over the past 10 minutes are checked and the 30F reading is detected and removed, replaced with the average over the past 10 minutes. These are also posted to the log.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "nczman" <aa4zr@...> wrote:

      > Got a friend that has a LaCrosse station that any where from 1 to 4 times a day will just stop uploading to WU. He is set up to send to CWOP and Twitter, which does not stop. I am trying to get him to get me better logs, but does anyone know why the WU feed would stop.
      >
      > If I remember right, it uses the default internet program right? Does anyone know of an algorithm that if it had bad data, that it would not send to WU? I realize I am grabbing at straws here without the logs, but we have had some issues in the past with his ham radio interfering with the sensors and completely shutting the weather station down. So I am wondering if the WUHU software looks for possible corrupt data and does not upload if it suspects it is bad.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Randy

    • nczman
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011
        Thanks guys, clocks were the first things I thought of. He had logs for just fatal, so had him select all this morning. Have not heard from him, so it has not crashed today.. Watched pot.....

        Will post what I find.

        Thanks
      • nczman
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
          Just as a follow up, in case someone comes across the same issue. We have found that there are 3 things that seem to make a difference when uploading to WUnderground.
          1 - We had Firefox set as the default browser. Setting it to Internet Explorer seem to make the biggest difference in the number of days we would run without errors.
          2 - Time. Second round of problems started when the user thought that since the Weather Station was getting the data from the gov, he changed the url where the computer updated it's time from. Going back to what was the computer default fixed that. I think it was time.windows.com.
          3 - had him go into rapid fire inside the WUWU program and turn that off.

          and for those that do not remember the symptoms. It was sending to twitter and to CWOP fine. It would just stop sending data to WUnderground.com as much as 3 times a day.

          Randy
        • Don Lafferty

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
              Even with rapid-fire enabled, there should have been some clues posted in to the log when WU uploads were failing. You just need to make sure that the check-box next to "WU Uploads" is checked.

              I would not suspect that the default browser has an effect but anything is possible on Windows.