WS2350 Comms frustrations, time to move on to something new?

  • richardm67
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
      Hi all,

      (Setup is Direct access via quality USB serial cable and wireless sensors transmitting over about 20m.)

      I'm growing increasingly frustrated with my WS2350 weather station and repeated "Communications error invalid/corrupt data" messages I get from time to time and I was wondering if other weather stations would be any more reliable? I've read about the quality of wire / wireless interference / console reboots (via battery removal and waiting 24 hours) but all these seem like work arounds to fundamental problems. If I splashed the cash on a Davis pro is it really going to be that much better or should I look for something else? I really just want a reliable method for getting data to Wunderground.

      Cheers
      Richard
    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
        There seems to be 3 levels of quality.

        LaCrosse is at the bottom but many, many people use them and like them.  It seems the serial versions works best with WUHU.

        Oregon Scientific is next.  Many people also use them and have very good experiences.

        Davis/Vantage is at the top and people who use them typically love them.

        I personally have used both LaCrosse and OS.  I used to run a WS2317 and I now run an OS WMR968.  I love the OS device as it works very well in wireless mode.  I had to run the LaCrosse in wired mode for it to be reliable.

        You can get a WMR968 for around $200.  A decent Davis will set you back closer to $500.

        I don't have any experience with a Davis but if I were to upgrade my station that's what I would get.  As it is now I don't have any desire to do that because my OS is working very well.

        Hope that helped a little.

        Don

        On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 5:30 AM, richardm67 <me@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        (Setup is Direct access via quality USB serial cable and wireless sensors transmitting over about 20m.)

        I'm growing increasingly frustrated with my WS2350 weather station and repeated "Communications error invalid/corrupt data" messages I get from time to time and I was wondering if other weather stations would be any more reliable? I've read about the quality of wire / wireless interference / console reboots (via battery removal and waiting 24 hours) but all these seem like work arounds to fundamental problems. If I splashed the cash on a Davis pro is it really going to be that much better or should I look for something else? I really just want a reliable method for getting data to Wunderground.

        Cheers
        Richard

      • KNHBRIST1
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
          Richard, not sure how often or how many you are getting these errors, but I find that they do not affect the data at WU much at all, maybe miss a rapid fire update, but not the tabular data that they use. I used to get more of those errors before I moved the console further away from my computer. Now I rarely get them.
          I have had my LaCrosse for many years, I sure have got my money's worth.
          Steve