Re: Newbie - Looking for Recommendations

  • GW
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4 11:09 AM
      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "greghine" <greghine@...> wrote:

      > It's time to get a home weather station.

      … Greg
      > Boulder, CO

      Greg,

      As has been previously stated, you can spend as much on a weather station as you want to. I have three different types of stations on one pole here at my house so that people can compare the differences between them. I have tried to calibrate them as closely as possible so that any differences would reflect the differences in the stations, not placememt, etc.

      Quality, customer service, update rate, accuracy are just some of the things a prospective buyer should consider.

      Also, sensor placement is very important (although you can only do the best you can with what you have to work with). It might be that you need to place your wind sensor in a different place than your temp/rain sensor. If that's the case, the Vue is not for you. But the bottom line is how much you can/want to spend. Here is a link to everything you wanted to know about sensor placement (and then some):

      http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

      I'm glad you're looking at WUHU. I've used it exclusively for several years on all my stations and I'm very happy with it. It's very simple to set up and works tirelessly and doesn't use much computer resources.

      Personally, after what I've experienced with weather stations, if you can afford it, I'd recommend the Davis VP2 with the weatherlink datalogger. It's pricy, but a quality station. If you want a starter station to see if it's really for you or not, go with LaCrosse. Mine's been going for a couple of years now.

      At any rate, I wish you good luck! Remember, there's always someone here to help or give an opinion.

      Greg Whitehead
      Euchee, TN
      CWOP: DW0148
      WMR968/WS-2315/VP2/WHUH X 3