Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Newbie - Looking for Recommendations

  • Jaye Ellen Burke
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
      Just curious --- could he be talking about the wind thing the weather folk have handy for taking wind measurements ...?
      Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2

      On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

      I think maybe he is referring to a "wind run" calculation.

      Definition: Wind run is a meteorological term used to categorize or determine the total distance (or amount) of the traveled wind over a period of time.

      > I've never seen a "wind odometer" before but having the data stored online
      > like Weather Underground does would make it so you could calculate it if you
      > really wanted to.
      >
      > As far as weather stations it's basically LaCrosse which are lower cost but
      > work well. Oregon Scientific are a little more expensive but also work
      > well. The Davis products are the most expensive but if money isn't a
      > concern they tend to be the best.
      >
      > I run an OS WMR968 that I bought for $200. It's been excellent.
      >
      > I think you just need to decide how much you want to spend and go for it.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM, greghine <greghine@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > It's time to get a home weather station. I'm a newbie at this, and would
      > > appreciate any thoughts and recommendations. I live in the mtns west of
      > > Boulder, CO where the weather can be a bit extreme. In the past year we've
      > > had temperatures as low at -28 deg F, and winds in excess of 100 mph (not at
      > > the same time, thankfully) at our house. In the winter, many days we have
      > > winds in excess of 45 mph. We've also had snowfalls in excess of 3' some
      > > years.
      > >
      > > I'd like the station to be connected to the Internet so that I can see how
      > > the weather's doing at the house when I'm out-of-town. I'd also be happy to
      > > have it show up on Weather Underground or whatever, but know nothing about
      > > this (yet).
      > >
      > > I'd prefer something that doesn't take an expert or computer geek to get
      > > set up, both physically, and connected to the Internet. I'm neither.
      > >
      > > Since we live in a very windy location, it would be interesting to not only
      > > log the speed of the wind but also the wind's "volume". How much wind (air)
      > > passes our location. To say it another way… If recording the speed of the
      > > wind in a weather station is analogous to a speedometer in a car, then it
      > > would be interesting to also have a weather station with an analogous
      > > "odometer" reading, recording how much air has gone by our location during a
      > > period of time.
      > >
      > > Searching the web, a possible choice might be the Davis Vantage Vue. Though
      > > I don't see an "odometer" function with it. I'm open to any suggestion.
      > >
      > > Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts and comments.
      > >
      > > … Greg
      > > Boulder, CO
      > >

      > --
      > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
      > something that doesn't suck.

    • alrjr2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2011
        That would be an anemometer or wind meter, he brings up an interesting idea though.

        Arnold In The Smokies
        DW1121

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen Burke <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

        > Just curious --- could he be talking about the wind thing the weather folk
        > have handy for taking wind measurements ...?
        > Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2
        >
        > On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I think maybe he is referring to a "wind run" calculation.
        > >
        > > Definition: Wind run is a meteorological term used to categorize or
        > > determine the total distance (or amount) of the traveled wind over a period
        > > of time.
        > >

        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've never seen a "wind odometer" before but having the data stored
        > > online
        > > > like Weather Underground does would make it so you could calculate it if
        > > you
        > > > really wanted to.
        > > >
        > > > As far as weather stations it's basically LaCrosse which are lower cost
        > > but
        > > > work well. Oregon Scientific are a little more expensive but also work
        > > > well. The Davis products are the most expensive but if money isn't a
        > > > concern they tend to be the best.
        > > >
        > > > I run an OS WMR968 that I bought for $200. It's been excellent.
        > > >
        > > > I think you just need to decide how much you want to spend and go for it.
        > > >
        > > > Don

        > > would
        > > we've
        > > (not at
        > > have
        > > some

        > > how
        > > happy to
        > > about

        > > get

        > > only
        > > (air)
        > > the
        > > it
        > > during a

        > > Though

        > > > --
        > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
        > > making
        > > > something that doesn't suck.

      • GW
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2011
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "greghine" <greghine@...> wrote:

          > It's time to get a home weather station.

          … Greg
          > Boulder, CO

          Greg,

          As has been previously stated, you can spend as much on a weather station as you want to. I have three different types of stations on one pole here at my house so that people can compare the differences between them. I have tried to calibrate them as closely as possible so that any differences would reflect the differences in the stations, not placememt, etc.

          Quality, customer service, update rate, accuracy are just some of the things a prospective buyer should consider.

          Also, sensor placement is very important (although you can only do the best you can with what you have to work with). It might be that you need to place your wind sensor in a different place than your temp/rain sensor. If that's the case, the Vue is not for you. But the bottom line is how much you can/want to spend. Here is a link to everything you wanted to know about sensor placement (and then some):

          http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

          I'm glad you're looking at WUHU. I've used it exclusively for several years on all my stations and I'm very happy with it. It's very simple to set up and works tirelessly and doesn't use much computer resources.

          Personally, after what I've experienced with weather stations, if you can afford it, I'd recommend the Davis VP2 with the weatherlink datalogger. It's pricy, but a quality station. If you want a starter station to see if it's really for you or not, go with LaCrosse. Mine's been going for a couple of years now.

          At any rate, I wish you good luck! Remember, there's always someone here to help or give an opinion.

          Greg Whitehead
          Euchee, TN
          CWOP: DW0148
          WMR968/WS-2315/VP2/WHUH X 3