Re: Oregon Scientific WMR100N

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2011
      The WMR100 is not reporting rain total correctly or are you having an issue with the WS-23XX?

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" <otisco@...> wrote:

      > Good Day,
      >
      > I'm looking to replace my La Crosse WS2310 with an OS WMR100N. Getting
      > a little frustrated at the failure to report the rain totals.
      >
      > If anyone has experience with the WMR100N unit, I'd appreciate all
      > comments - positive or negative.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Kris
      > KNYOTISC2 in the Finger Lakes of NY

    • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2011
        Sorry if I was a bit unclear. The 23XX is not reporting rain correctly.
        This is my 3rd unit from new and each one has failed within 6 months
        of going online. I put this last one online in April (all new
        components) and it has stopped measuring rain last week. I've done the
        reset with the + key, checked the reed (shows a pulse on my volt meter)
        and did a 24 hour "reset" of the display.

        I want to purchase a WMR100N if it's a good match to your software.

        Thanks Heath.

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2011
          When you were testing the rain bucket, were you testing continuity at the modular plug end where it connects to the remote thermo?

          This your third entirely new setup? Not the same remote thermo?

          Are you verifying the rain total changes at the console and not just in software?

          I have had a station up for over 6 years, same rain bucket, same remote thermo. The console was replaced due to a lightning strike that damaged the RS-232 side preventing it from being used with the computer.

          As for alternative stations, the WMR100 should work fine. The WMR200 works as well although I did not care for it because it has a darker blue LCD background with back characters making it nearly impossible for me to read. You might even consider the older WMR968 model as the people that own them seem to be happy with those as well.

          You might also keep an eye out on the Davis Vue prices. It looks like a decent station and seems to have good reviews.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" <otisco@...> wrote:

          > Sorry if I was a bit unclear. The 23XX is not reporting rain correctly.
          > This is my 3rd unit from new and each one has failed within 6 months
          > of going online. I put this last one online in April (all new
          > components) and it has stopped measuring rain last week. I've done the
          > reset with the + key, checked the reed (shows a pulse on my volt meter)
          > and did a 24 hour "reset" of the display.
          >
          > I want to purchase a WMR100N if it's a good match to your software.
          >
          > Thanks Heath.
          >

          > On 08/29/2011 06:06 PM, wuhu_software wrote:
          > >
          > > The WMR100 is not reporting rain total correctly or are you having an issue with the WS-23XX?
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR"<otisco@> wrote:
          > >>

          > >> Good Day,
          > >>
          > >> I'm looking to replace my La Crosse WS2310 with an OS WMR100N. Getting
          > >> a little frustrated at the failure to report the rain totals.
          > >>
          > >> If anyone has experience with the WMR100N unit, I'd appreciate all
          > >> comments - positive or negative.
          > >>
          > >> Thanks in advance.
          > >>
          > >> Kris
          > >> KNYOTISC2 in the Finger Lakes of NY

          > > WUHU Download page:

        • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2011
            Thanks for the pointers. Yes, I tested at the modular plug as well.
            And nothing shows up on the console. Not sure where Wunderground gets
            their info, but next to the rainfall under Current Data/Conditions, they
            show a line that goes up when it rains and down as the rain slows. Does
            anyone know if this is driven by the PWS or by the local airport conditions?

            All 3 of my stations were new out of the box going back to 2007. The
            last one in April was a bargain at $50.00. I tried mixing and matching
            parts over the weekend with no success. All of them report everything
            correctly - except rain. I tried 3 consoles, 3 thermo/hygros and 5 rain
            buckets. Time to give up.

            I think I'll invest in a WMR100N. Too bad because I really like the
            2310 (when it works).

            Again, thanks. Good info for all to follow with these units.

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2011
              What is your Weather Underground ID?

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 29, 2011
                Just to make sure it is not something simple, there are 3 modulars on the back of the remote thermo, one for wind, rain, and the third is intended to run to the console for wired mode.

                Are you sure the rain bucket is not in the one that is meant for the console? I can't remember 100% but it might be the center one that goes to the console.

              • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30, 2011
                  Good afternoon.

                  My Wunderground ID is KNYOTISC2. And my station was reporting rain
                  nicely for 3 months then it just quit. I am running it wired with the
                  wind sensor on the right, the rain on the left and the console plugged
                  into the center. All 3 units did the same thing with varying duration.
                  One time I replaced the thermo/hygro with a new one and it worked for a
                  month.

                  I've tried different buckets, wired, wireless, new batteries, new
                  display, new console cable and probably other stuff.

                  I'm beginning to wonder.... I am a ham radio operator (W2FLR) who
                  frequents VHF and UHF. The thermo/hygro is mounted 30 feet below the
                  antenna. I would think that is far enough away to not cause a problem.

                  I'm going to dig deep this holiday weekend and reset/recheck everything.
                  I too thought it might be something simple but 3 times with 3 different
                  units has me thinking differently.

                  Thanks again for your assistance. If we can't get it going, I'll swap
                  it out for a OS or Davis.

                  Kris
                  KNYOTISC2 in the Finger Lakes of New York

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                    Kris,

                    That is a mystery for sure. I would not be surprised if your radio has something to do with it. How close is the rain bucket and telephone line relative to the ham antenna? Could there be enough energy to zap the remote thermo rain input through the rain bucket cord?

                  • Jaye Ellen Burke
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                      I believe I'd try to correlate the failures with your transmitting pattern --- suspect it might be like low grade lightning?  Just a thought that flew through my ancient noggin and good luck resolving.  Would it be feasible to put your wx equipment MUCH further away from your Ham gear?

                      Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2

                    • Don Lafferty
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                        Just curious.  When you swap out the units you also swap out the wire that runs from the sensor?

                        I know it's unlikely because if it was the wire just swapping out the sensor shouldn't fix it but it seems to I think?

                        At any rate I switched from a WS2317 to a WMR968 a year or so ago and I do like the OS.  Of course the Davis are top of the line but they also cost a lot more.

                        Don

                      • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                          Jaye Ellen / Don / Heath,

                          Thanks for the info, tips and ideas. I've been trying to correlate my
                          transmitting activities to the sudden lack of rainfall measurement. I
                          can't determine if the two happened at the same time or days apart. And
                          the only thing that keeps breaking is rain measurement. Wind, temp,
                          humidity, etc keep on truckin'.

                          Since I have all weekend and next week to play, I am going to replace
                          individual pieces one-at-a-time and let them soak for 24 hours. At no
                          time will I transmit on the radios.

                          The rain bucket is 40 feet from the base of the antenna and the cable
                          connecting it to the thermo/hygro is 30 feet at the connection point
                          then increases in distance.

                          I've looked at the WMR100 and 200 and they seem like they will work but
                          I've decided to save my lunch money and go for the Vantage Vue.

                          Again, many thanks.

                          On 08/31/2011 10:51 AM, Don Lafferty wrote:
                          > Just curious. When you swap out the units you also swap out the wire that
                          > runs from the sensor?
                          >
                          > I know it's unlikely because if it was the wire just swapping out the sensor
                          > shouldn't fix it but it seems to I think?
                          >
                          > At any rate I switched from a WS2317 to a WMR968 a year or so ago and I do
                          > like the OS. Of course the Davis are top of the line but they also cost a
                          > lot more.
                          >
                          > Don
                          >
                          > On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Jaye Ellen Burke<jaye.ellen@...>wrote:
                          >
                          >> **
                          >>

                          >> I believe I'd try to correlate the failures with your transmitting pattern
                          >> --- suspect it might be like low grade lightning? Just a thought that flew
                          >> through my ancient noggin and good luck resolving. Would it be feasible to
                          >> put your wx equipment MUCH further away from your Ham gear?
                          >>
                          >> Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2
                          >>
                          >> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:43 AM, wuhu_software<wuhu_software@...>wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> **
                          >>>

                          >>> Kris,
                          >>>
                          >>> That is a mystery for sure. I would not be surprised if your radio has
                          >>> something to do with it. How close is the rain bucket and telephone line
                          >>> relative to the ham antenna? Could there be enough energy to zap the remote
                          >>> thermo rain input through the rain bucket cord?
                          >>>

                          >>> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR"

                          >>> the back of the remote thermo, one for wind, rain, and the third is intended
                          >>> to run to the console for wired mode.

                          >>> console? I can't remember 100% but it might be the center one that goes to
                          >>> the console.

                          >>> they
                          >>> Does
                          >>> conditions?

                          >>> matching
                          >>> rain

                          >>> at the modular plug end where it connects to the remote thermo?

                          >>> in software?

                          >>> remote thermo. The console was replaced due to a lightning strike that
                          >>> damaged the RS-232 side preventing it from being used with the computer.

                          >>> works as well although I did not care for it because it has a darker blue
                          >>> LCD background with back characters making it nearly impossible for me to
                          >>> read. You might even consider the older WMR968 model as the people that own
                          >>> them seem to be happy with those as well.

                          >>> like a decent station and seems to have good reviews.

                          >>> correctly.
                          >>> months
                          >>> the
                          >>> meter)

                          >>> an issue with the WS-23XX?

                          >>> Getting

                          >>> all

                        • Kari Bulkley
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                            Kris,

                            Have you double checked that the rain gauge is actually able to collect and dump water?  I had a problem with my WS2310 rain gauge a while back and it turned out that the circuit board in the rain sensor had "bent" a little out of place from the plastic slots that hold it.  This was interfering with the collect/dump mechanism.  I put a dab of epoxy on the cover where it was able to push the circuit board back to a good position to allow the magnet/pickup to swing freely and I have had no problems since.

                            Kari

                            WUHU Download page:

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                               wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
                               wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 31, 2011
                              Hi Kari.

                              Yes, I made sure there was unrestricted movement of the arm inside the
                              collector. When I dump water down it, I can hear the "clunk, clunk,
                              clunk" as it rocks back and forth. I even get a "pulse" at the end of
                              the cable where it plugs into the thermo/hygro. I measured it with a
                              volt/ohm meter so the reed is working properly too.

                              Nothing displays on the console so I'm guessing the thermo/hygro is
                              confused, maybe by my ham radio transmissions.

                              My replacement fun begins Saturday. Hopefully it produces results. Then
                              again, in a way I hope it doesn't so I can get the Vantage Vue!

                              Thanks Kari.

                              --Kris