WUHU VP2 Serial Data Logger - Win 7 COM port settings

  • Joe S
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2011
      I couldn't quite find the answer to this, so out to the general population.

      Using WUHU - and I previously hadn't any problems on my old LaCrosse station and PC running WUHU.

      Now, I've upgraded.

      I have a Davis VP2 and a PC running Windows 7. The VP2 has a serial bus data logger.

      I'm getting frequent COM port issues being put in the log file.

      Mon Aug 01 20:56:15 2011 > Could not open port COM3. Will re-attempt to open port in a few seconds.
      Mon Aug 01 20:52:24 2011 > Attempting to re-open port COM3.
      Mon Aug 01 20:52:41 2011 > Port COM3 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
      Mon Aug 01 20:55:31 2011 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.

      Ignore the time stamps.

      The VP2 Console is set properly for 19200 baud. The COM port is as well.

      I have had problems where if I close WUHU and reopen, then it cannot reopen COM port on launching WUHU. I either have to choose a different COM port number or reboot.

      Thanks for any help
      Joe
    • Don Lafferty

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
          It was 64-bit. This was a new install for a remade machine.
          Joe

          > Is the Windows 7 the 32 or 64 bit?
          >
          > Sounds like maybe it wasn't actually an upgrade. ;)
          >
          > Don
          >
          > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Joe S <latenightgator@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I couldn't quite find the answer to this, so out to the general population.
          > >
          > > Using WUHU - and I previously hadn't any problems on my old LaCrosse
          > > station and PC running WUHU.
          > >
          > > Now, I've upgraded.
          > >
          > > I have a Davis VP2 and a PC running Windows 7. The VP2 has a serial bus
          > > data logger.
          > >
          > > I'm getting frequent COM port issues being put in the log file.
          > >
          > > Mon Aug 01 20:56:15 2011 > Could not open port COM3. Will re-attempt to
          > > open port in a few seconds.
          > > Mon Aug 01 20:52:24 2011 > Attempting to re-open port COM3.
          > > Mon Aug 01 20:52:41 2011 > Port COM3 re-opened successfully, attempting to
          > > resume communications.
          > > Mon Aug 01 20:55:31 2011 > Detected consecutive communications failures.
          > > Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
          > >
          > > Ignore the time stamps.
          > >
          > > The VP2 Console is set properly for 19200 baud. The COM port is as well.
          > >
          > > I have had problems where if I close WUHU and reopen, then it cannot reopen
          > > COM port on launching WUHU. I either have to choose a different COM port
          > > number or reboot.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help
          > > Joe
          > >

          > --
          > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
          > something that doesn't suck.

        • Don Lafferty
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
            I've heard some folks have issues when using 64 bit.  Hopefully someone else who's using it can chime in here.

            My comment about it not being an upgrade was a feeble attempt at a joke since you went from a working system to a non-working system.  Sorry.

            Don

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
              You are not trying to run multiple weather programs at the same time are you?

              If you are using a USB to serial adapter, try looking for the latest drivers for it.

              The next time you see a failure, go to control panel, device manager, expand serial & lpt, then see if the port has an exclamation point next to the COM port.

              Finally, make sure that a previous copy of WUHU is not running by checking the task mananger.

              > I've heard some folks have issues when using 64 bit. Hopefully someone else
              > who's using it can chime in here.
              >
              > My comment about it not being an upgrade was a feeble attempt at a joke
              > since you went from a working system to a non-working system. Sorry.
              >
              > Don
              >
              > On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Joe S <latenightgator@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > It was 64-bit. This was a new install for a remade machine.
              > > Joe
              > >
              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Is the Windows 7 the 32 or 64 bit?
              > > >
              > > > Sounds like maybe it wasn't actually an upgrade. ;)
              > > >
              > > > Don

              > > population.

              > > failures.

              > > well.

              > > reopen
              > > port

              > > > --
              > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
              > > making
              > > > something that doesn't suck.
              > > >

              > --
              > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
              > something that doesn't suck.

            • Joe S
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                I hear ya, Don. All good ;)

                > I've heard some folks have issues when using 64 bit. Hopefully someone else
                > who's using it can chime in here.
                >
                > My comment about it not being an upgrade was a feeble attempt at a joke
                > since you went from a working system to a non-working system. Sorry.
                >
                > Don
                >
                > On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Joe S <latenightgator@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > It was 64-bit. This was a new install for a remade machine.
                > > Joe
                > >
                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Is the Windows 7 the 32 or 64 bit?
                > > >
                > > > Sounds like maybe it wasn't actually an upgrade. ;)
                > > >
                > > > Don

                > > population.

                > > failures.

                > > well.

                > > reopen
                > > port

                > > > --
                > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
                > > making
                > > > something that doesn't suck.
                > > >

                > --
                > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
                > something that doesn't suck.

              • Joe S
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011

                  > You are not trying to run multiple weather programs at the same time are you?

                  Nope. No other weather software. This is the only instance of WUHU running.

                  > If you are using a USB to serial adapter, try looking for the latest drivers for it.

                  I have the serial data logger. It's not USB.

                  > The next time you see a failure, go to control panel, device manager, expand serial & lpt, then see if the port has an exclamation point next to the COM port.

                  I been in device mgr and not seen that. Sometimes if I manually exit and restart WUHU, upon startup, I will get the COM port error message that the port isn't available. I click the Device Mgr button it provides, and Windows says everything is fine with the port.

                  > Finally, make sure that a previous copy of WUHU is not running by checking the task mananger.

                  I'll check that again. Sometimes this happens on power-up though.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011

                    I been in device mgr and not seen that. Sometimes if I manually exit and restart WUHU, upon startup, I will get the COM port error message that the port isn't available. I click the Device Mgr button it provides, and Windows says everything is fine with the port.

                    That could be a clue that the previous copy did not exit for some reason and is still holding on to the port. The next time it happens, check the task list to see if an old copy of WUHU is stuck in memory.

                    If you are running something older than B194, you might install the latest here:

                    http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

                    Another VP user reported manual exit problems and that may correct the issue.

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Joe S" <latenightgator@...> wrote:

                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wuhu_software@ wrote:
                    > >

                    > > You are not trying to run multiple weather programs at the same time are you?
                    > >

                    > Nope. No other weather software. This is the only instance of WUHU running.
                    >
                    > > If you are using a USB to serial adapter, try looking for the latest drivers for it.
                    > >

                    > I have the serial data logger. It's not USB.
                    >
                    > > The next time you see a failure, go to control panel, device manager, expand serial & lpt, then see if the port has an exclamation point next to the COM port.
                    > >

                    > I been in device mgr and not seen that. Sometimes if I manually exit and restart WUHU, upon startup, I will get the COM port error message that the port isn't available. I click the Device Mgr button it provides, and Windows says everything is fine with the port.
                    >
                    > > Finally, make sure that a previous copy of WUHU is not running by checking the task mananger.
                    > >

                    > I'll check that again. Sometimes this happens on power-up though.
                    >
                    > Joe
                    >

                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I've heard some folks have issues when using 64 bit. Hopefully someone else
                    > > > who's using it can chime in here.
                    > > >
                    > > > My comment about it not being an upgrade was a feeble attempt at a joke
                    > > > since you went from a working system to a non-working system. Sorry.
                    > > >
                    > > > Don

                    > > > --
                    > > > The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start making
                    > > > something that doesn't suck.

                  • Joe S
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 9, 2011
                      So, over the weekend, I confirmed I downloaded the newest WUHU, but I was still getting frequent "Can't communicate with COM port" errors and frequently having to reopen the COM port.

                      I decided to brush off/reformat an older WinXP machine and make this dedicated to the weather station.

                      First I installed WUHU and the plugged in the Console and all seemed to be fine. Wasn't noticing anything in the log file.

                      Then, I installed my webcam (Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000) running Yawcam.

                      Then, I plugged in my USB wireless mouse and I noticed the same errors starting to be reported.

                      I unplugged my wireless mouse and my webcam and instead used a wired mouse to the DIN mouse connector. I couldn't imagine either of these would cause COM port issues.

                      Despite now that the WinXP machine only sustains WUHU, I'm still getting COM issues. I even had the dreaded COM port lockup on power-up when the power flickered, so I had to renumber the COM port.

                      I'll have to admit I'm a bit disappointed and stumped.

                      While it still seems to run, I'm concerned that I'm missing data from the console. Rapid fire shows that it's "updated", but I do not think current data from the Console makes it to the PC because of these errors. So, it is just uploading identical information. I think this is such because of a heavy rain we had on Saturday and seeing how the Console was rising for the gauge, but WU still was reporting older values for about a minute plus.

                      I am seeking alternatives at this point.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 9, 2011
                        Are you using real serial ports or a USB to serial adapter?

                      • Joe S
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 10, 2011
                          Real serial ports. I have the Serial data logger.

                          Felt this would be a more reliable one than the USB.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 10, 2011
                            I would guess then that the Silicon Labs drivers used by Davis to support the virtual serial port are not used.

                            The only thing I could think of that might be related would be the WebCam data collection (and possible upload) are chewing up a bunch of CPU time.

                          • Joe S
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 11, 2011
                              Thanks for the help. If I figure something out, I'll share it with the group.

                              Joe