LaCrosse 2810 rain gauge problem

  • Chris Mattingly
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2011
      Hi all, hoping someone can help me out on what to start
      debugging/troubleshooting first. My rain gauge is over-reporting the
      rainfall. I haven't put an 'old fashioned' rain gauge next to it yet to
      see exactly how off it is but based on the other nearby PWSs in the area
      it's running about 1.5-3x high (one recent storm event it was right
      about 3x higher but with tonight's storm it's only about 1.5x as high).

      Given how it seems to be jumping all over the place I'm not sure what to
      make of it.

      Any thoughts from the knowledgeable crew here? :)

      Thanks!
      -Chris
    • Bob Tyszka
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2011
        On 7/8/11 7:09 PM, Chris Mattingly wrote:

        Hi all, hoping someone can help me out on what to start
        debugging/troubleshooting first. My rain gauge is over-reporting the
        rainfall. I haven't put an 'old fashioned' rain gauge next to it yet to
        see exactly how off it is but based on the other nearby PWSs in the area
        it's running about 1.5-3x high (one recent storm event it was right
        about 3x higher but with tonight's storm it's only about 1.5x as high).

        Given how it seems to be jumping all over the place I'm not sure what to
        make of it.

        Any thoughts from the knowledgeable crew here? :)

        Thanks!
        -Chris

        _
        Chris;

            How windy was it during the storms and how is the rain gauge mounted?  I have my gauge mounted on the WX shelter which is on a metal fence post.  When it gets windy the shelter will rock and cause the gauge to tip.  This reports as rain even under blue skies.  Now if it will cool off I can move the gauge back to the roof of the house.

        Bob Tyszka
        California City, CA
        CW9012 / KCACALIF5

        Click for California City, California Forecast

      • Chris Mattingly
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2011

          It's mounted firmly and it doesn't report any rainfall when there's wind and no rain.  Good thought though. :)

          Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

        • streeterdan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2011
            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Chris Mattingly <chris@...> wrote:

            > It's mounted firmly and it doesn't report any rainfall when there's wind and
            > no rain. Good thought though. :)
            >
            > Sent from my Motorola ATRIX� 4G on AT&T
            > On Jul 9, 2011 12:51 AM, "Bob Tyszka" <baluncru@...> wrote:

            Not sure if your ws2810 is an updated model with .01" gauge resolution or the original model with .02". If you can very slowly pour 123 ml. through, and if everything is working right, you should get around 25 tips and .5" on the console for .02" resolution model. I'm not sure what they later changed (firmware?) for the .01" model so can't say for certain.