WUHU with wine on Linux

  • - Dickie Bradford -
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2011
      I figured I would pass this along to those of you running WUHU under
      wine on linux boxes.

      This past weekend I ran out of inodes on my hard drive (inodes are a
      file index on the linux file system), but not out of space on my drive,
      but this still caused an out of space error. Upon further
      investigation, I discovered that when WUHU uploads updates to various
      weather outlets, it makes a temp file (not sure if this is true on
      Windows also), but it looks like linux doesn't auto-magically delete
      these files after the upload is complete.

      The solution I found under ubuntu, is to install a program called
      "TMPREAPER" this will remove temp files. I removed over 2.1 million
      temp files. and now have it running weekly.

      I hope this info is useful :-)

      --
      Dickie Bradford
      Never-Enuff Internet

      The man who sais it cannot be done, should not interupt
      the man who is trying to do it!
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2011
        Dickie,

        Thank you for the info. While investigating this issue, I have learned quite a bit about how Windows caches temporary Internet files.

        Looking at my Windows 2000 machine (dedicated to station), it does not appear to be caching files. Perhaps someone with a XP/Vista/Windows 7 machine can tell us whether or not Windows is indeed creating cache files as well on those platforms. For now, I suspect that this is a Linux/Wine issue only and that the Windows platforms are honoring the request to avoid the creation of these files. We shall see if that is actually the case.

        To give a bit of background on the topic, when the http:// request is made, there is an option to tell Windows (via the wininet.dll) to not create cache files. Apparently this does not work with Wine. It appears that Wine always creates cached entries.

        This lead me to investigate how to clear the temporary Internet files under Windows. Like most efforts in Windows it turned in to another dive in to the MS mental rabbit hole.

        Until now I was not really aware that your surfing history cannot really be deleted easily and perhaps can be nefariously retrieved by snooping websites. It is actually amazing to me how little consideration is given to privacy under Windows. The opportunities for hackers really is endless.

        While I did find an API for flushing individual cache files that may be created, Windows is maintaining an evil troll of a file called Index.dat (there can be several instances of this file as well, a whole gang of little trolls). There are two problems with this file, the major issue is that this file contains all requested URLs (and probably all WU uploads in your case) and it is also difficult to delete. There are several reasons why this is difficult to delete the primary one being that any application using the wininet.dll has an open handle to the file. The Windows shell (explore.exe) and Internet Explore (iexpore.exe) both use this dll. This file can be safely deleted at boot time before applications (including the Windows shell explore.exe) get a chance to create a file handle to it.

        In addition to the problem of deleting this file, when you use Internet Explorer and delete the temporary files (under tools), this file is not actually deleted but instead records within the file are marked for later over-write. This file will grow and grow until you use an API to mark records for deletion and new entries are written. This technique does not protect you from people wanted to invade your privacy however, they can just read the file and inspect the deleted records.

        If anyone is interested in learning more about this index.dat file, here are a couple useful links:

        1) Overview of the Index.dat file on Wikipedia.

        2) In the Wiki page there are a couple of Internet links to deal with the deletion of the Index.dat files. I used one to generate a batch file that is launched when Windows boots up to delete all of the Index.dat files on the hard drive. See Index.datSuite. I tested this and it worked as advertised. It is a clean and simple solution that I would recommend to anyone looking to purge surfing data.

        3) For programmers, here is a C++ API  library to flush certain Internet temporary files but cannot really deal with this Index.dat issue.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, - Dickie Bradford - <dbradford@...> wrote:

        > I figured I would pass this along to those of you running WUHU under
        > wine on linux boxes.
        >
        > This past weekend I ran out of inodes on my hard drive (inodes are a
        > file index on the linux file system), but not out of space on my drive,
        > but this still caused an out of space error. Upon further
        > investigation, I discovered that when WUHU uploads updates to various
        > weather outlets, it makes a temp file (not sure if this is true on
        > Windows also), but it looks like linux doesn't auto-magically delete
        > these files after the upload is complete.
        >
        > The solution I found under ubuntu, is to install a program called
        > "TMPREAPER" this will remove temp files. I removed over 2.1 million
        > temp files. and now have it running weekly.
        >
        > I hope this info is useful :-)
        >
        > --
        > Dickie Bradford
        > Never-Enuff Internet
        > D12 Networks
        > P.O.Box 426
        > Colver, Pa 15927-0426
        > http://www.Never-Enuff.net
        > http://www.D12Networks.com
        > Toll Free: 1-800-647-3145
        >
        > The man who sais it cannot be done, should not interupt
        > the man who is trying to do it!

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2011
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, - Dickie Bradford - <dbradford@...> wrote:

          > I figured I would pass this along to those of you running WUHU under
          > wine on linux boxes.

          I would *love* to be able to get rid of my Windows server, which I use just for running Heavy Weather and WUHU. Is there an FAQ or perhaps a past message thread somewhere about running all that on Linux? I tried it myself once, and got all wrapped around the axle - I'm a moderately competent Linux hacker, but have used Wine very little (except back in my younger days, heh heh).

          Are you running both HW and WUHU under Linux? Any suggestions appreciated!

          /r
        • - Dickie Bradford -
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2011
            On 7/8/2011 12:15 PM, Rob wrote:

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, - Dickie Bradford - <dbradford@...> wrote:

            > I figured I would pass this along to those of you running WUHU under
            > wine on linux boxes.

            I would *love* to be able to get rid of my Windows server, which I use just for running Heavy Weather and WUHU. Is there an FAQ or perhaps a past message thread somewhere about running all that on Linux? I tried it myself once, and got all wrapped around the axle - I'm a moderately competent Linux hacker, but have used Wine very little (except back in my younger days, heh heh).

            Are you running both HW and WUHU under Linux? Any suggestions appreciated!

            /r

            _
            I just run WUHU, I think I wrote something a while back how to do it (things escape my mind these days :-) ).  Let me look and see what / if I still have the doc.  If not I will write something up, its actually not too hard.

            Dickie

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
              Here is a quick write up for installing WUHU on Ubuntu, if you need more exact details / commands let me know

              aptitude update ( or apt-get update)  I like apitude ;-)
              install Wine 1.2  (with apt-get or aptitude)
              install ttf fonts (with apt-get or aptitude)
              download and install WUHU
              run wine configuration ( should be listed in the KDE / Gnome menu)
              unzip WUHU216_32_B192.zip
              chmod 755 Install.exe
              run install.exe from command prompt within desktop
              go thru setup as normal in windows
              click "Finish"
              wuhu will open the setup window, put your settings in

              You should have a system running Wine & WUHU :-)

              Dickie

              On 7/8/2011 12:15 PM, Rob wrote:

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, - Dickie Bradford - <dbradford@...> wrote:

              > I figured I would pass this along to those of you running WUHU under
              > wine on linux boxes.

              I would *love* to be able to get rid of my Windows server, which I use just for running Heavy Weather and WUHU. Is there an FAQ or perhaps a past message thread somewhere about running all that on Linux? I tried it myself once, and got all wrapped around the axle - I'm a moderately competent Linux hacker, but have used Wine very little (except back in my younger days, heh heh).

              Are you running both HW and WUHU under Linux? Any suggestions appreciated!

              /r

              _

            • Don Lafferty
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
                Excellent Dickie!  I run various OS's and have often thought about installing WUHU on one of the Linux boxes.

                Don